UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> should I do a amateur?

12/27/10 7:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
armbarring
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has crossed my mind a couple of times to try mma once in my life. Is jumping into a amateur event with more than moderate experience alright?

I wrestled from youth into high school and I also have somewhat 10 years of grappling experience. I have only trained boxing for 2 years but no matches outside of sparring really. Anyones sound advice? Sorry about the english.
12/28/10 10:09 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like an amateur fight would be perfect for you.  Just make sure you're training to integrate your striking and grappling together.
12/30/10 4:57 AM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get to a good gym and see how you do against other amateurs.
12/30/10 2:55 PM
armbarring
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigSifu -  Get to a good gym and see how you do against other amateurs.

I know. Im in transition right now between gyms while I rehab some injuries. Im probably going back to Cobra Kai.
12/31/10 12:54 PM
GreatWhiteHype

Your first amateur fight, you'll probably get thrown in with another guy making his debut. Unfortunately for him, he'll probably have barely a year of training under his belt. Please have a heart and try not to snap his arms.
12/31/10 3:40 PM
armbarring

GreatWhiteHype - Your first amateur fight, you'll probably get thrown in with another guy making his debut. Unfortunately for him, he'll probably have barely a year of training under his belt. Please have a heart and try not to snap his arms.

or he can also not my teeth in. :) who knows. Im just excited to try. Is there another ug grand prix?
2/2/11 2:36 PM
FGr1p63

IMHO you should do amateur as it gives you a good base before turning pro. Your years of training experience is more than enough as some guys jump into an amateur fight with barely a year of training.
3/17/11 1:40 AM
joweez

Strongly agree with everyone else.

is there any specific reason your trying it out? why couldn't you just walk in and spar at a local mma gym or look out for a smoker event?
3/17/11 8:07 AM
armbarring

joweez - Strongly agree with everyone else.

is there any specific reason your trying it out? why couldn't you just walk in and spar at a local mma gym or look out for a smoker event?

Im keeping a eye out for some in las vegas.
3/17/11 11:25 AM
joweez

thats how i first got into it! i lost my first smoker fight and been training ever since!
3/18/11 5:26 PM
Jefe de Jefes
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to do this too.  I just need to scratch that itch, ya know? I have an 8 year old that believes her dad is the baddest man on the planet and another kid on the way...I want something to show them.
3/18/11 7:11 PM
armbarring

Jefe de Jefes -  I'm going to do this too.  I just need to scratch that itch, ya know? I have an 8 year old that believes her dad is the baddest man on the planet and another kid on the way...I want something to show them.

cool have fun!
3/28/11 10:49 PM
joshjitsu

Edited: 03/28/11 10:49 PM
I am just transitiinoning to MMA from about 4 years of grappling and it's a whole other ball game for sure.
3/29/11 6:11 AM
armbarring

joshjitsu - I am just transitiinoning to MMA from about 4 years of grappling and it's a whole other ball game for sure.

can you give some examples please?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.