UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> EVE Online. Wat Do?

12/28/10 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gord96
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EVE was on sale on steam for 4 bucks with a free month. What is a good way to start? Reading the forums people are saying that you should focus on a specific path, etc. they also say use some program called EVEMon. I know there are some EVE vets on here so if you have any advice that would be awesome.
12/28/10 5:24 PM
Isaac298
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first and foremost, What do you want to do in eve, there are pretty much 3 ways to go if i can' remember: Miner, PvE'er (Player Versus Eve, a way to farm up resources instead of mining), or PVp (player vs player, just combat, all your income comes from dropped items)?.

Once you decide on that, join a corp that exclusively works on those above mentioned choices. The more members usually means the longer the corp has been together which usually means better members.

If you want to PVP i recommend joining a school such as Eve university or Red vs Blue or a militia (caldari for life bitches).

Just my two cents. I played for about 1 year before i quit. Enjoy. I can also sell you my account now that i think about it,. My character is caldari geared toward Missiles and shield tanking.
12/28/10 7:07 PM
Squatdog

Basically, run PVE missions for money/standing and get used to game mechanics.

Buy an assload of skillbooks and train the skills you need. Download EveMon to plan your skills and EFT to plan your fits.

Get someone to send you a bunch of money so the game doesn't suck.
12/28/10 7:26 PM
gord96
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks chaps.

so if you want to PvP, do u have to follow a specific type of combat? I see guys saying they are stealth bomber trained, missile trained, etc.
12/28/10 7:48 PM
Squatdog

As a new character, you are at least a month away from flying anything exotic.

With a few weeks basic training, you can tackle in a T1 frigate or run around in a cruiser.
12/29/10 10:05 AM
gord96

gotcha. played quite a bit last night. i kinda see how there is some early missions that kinda teach you the game, get you some new ships and stuff. i started a military pilot and a mining pilot. not sure which i will play.
12/29/10 10:32 AM
gord96

Badmutafuka -  Wat do?  

You DIE.

reading up on the game and reading the information on the various corporations made me realize this game is designed for a guy like you homie. everything is based on the community. if you mine some precious ore in one system and need to get it to your refinery you are probably best to hire a courier service (made up of other players) to get it there as piracy is a valid career in EVE. Corps (the guilds in EVE) actually go to war with one another and fight over real stuff. I havent even scratched the surface of this game but it is a PvPers dream. it's just takes a while from what i can tell to get into the game.
12/29/10 3:00 PM
Trust
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'e been trying to learn it, but it sucks.  The tutorial is at least getting me somewhere but I would really rather have a manual I could read to learn the interface and what all that stuff is for and what it does. 
12/29/10 3:20 PM
Scene

It doesn't seem like EVE has any reset mechanisms... No matter what there will be unimaginably stronger or better equipped people out there than me -- if they played since the start, a new guy years later is screwed. The skill training system underlines that fact (some people trained a skill for a year straight I read? Dear God.) It kind of killed the idea of playing, coming into it so many years late. If I played it since the start I'm sure it'd be a blast.
12/29/10 3:25 PM
Isaac298

Edited: 12/29/10 3:35 PM
There are, but within a years time of playing you should be able to take on the veterans of the game, you just have to make sure you don't do a 1v1, or if you do you do it with the right ship.

What i never got is how many people had multiple accounts. Fuck farming or putting up money for more accounts. As if 330k isk isn't enough to have to earn to play for free, now i have to double that for the alt.
12/29/10 3:34 PM
gord96

i think you have to go into the game knowing your never going to be the best. just enjoy it. i already found a friendly corp that is showing me the PvP ropes and giving free ships and skills. they cruise around as a crew and gank stuff. i am nowhere near being able to join them on those runs yet, but soon enough maybe.
12/29/10 3:42 PM
billyzane

Sounds like a big time sink...meaning it sounds like it takes longer than most mmo's to get the hang of the game and get good shit.
12/29/10 3:47 PM
Isaac298

that's my main gripe, and im no mmo player but the stories and shit i heard about this game got me hooked. It just takes way too long to get good at the game. But once you do i'm sure it's a blast
12/29/10 3:49 PM
billyzane

Ya sounds hardcore
12/29/10 4:32 PM
Squatdog

Scene - It doesn't seem like EVE has any reset mechanisms... No matter what there will be unimaginably stronger or better equipped people out there than me -- if they played since the start, a new guy years later is screwed. The skill training system underlines that fact (some people trained a skill for a year straight I read? Dear God.) It kind of killed the idea of playing, coming into it so many years late. If I played it since the start I'm sure it'd be a blast.

A month-old character flying an ECM-fit Blackird (T1 cruiser with 2m base cost) can keep a five year-old character's gank-fit Cynabal (Faction Cruiser with 270m base cost) jammed so they can't do shit.

Meanwhile, another month-old character in a Caracal (T1 cruiser with 3m base cost) starts grinding him down until he pops.
12/29/10 4:44 PM
gord96

Edited: 12/29/10 5:13 PM
edit. figured out my question.
12/29/10 5:16 PM
Isaac298

Here are some useful links for you nubs:

http://eve-agents.com/ - Helps find quality agents. The higher the quality the higher the payout. I was caldari in the citadel so i had Corporate Police Force for missions. i think they had the best payouts

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/ - Need to plan out system jumps...look no further. Here is an excellent site that will help.

Scanning is a lot harder than it seems or should seem. here are some youtube videos (must see if you want to be an explorer).http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eve+scanning+tutorial&aq=0

http://www.eveonline.com/careerguide/ - Shows what you can do in the game as far as careers or general paths are concerned.

Damage types - You'll learn after a while that damage types are very important when it comes to farming and taking out enemies quicker. http://www.ogrank.com/content/view/698/59/

How do i setup my ships?? http://eve.battleclinic.com/browse_loadouts.php BOOM!

I'll add more as i remember them
12/29/10 5:59 PM
Squatdog

The two things you really need are:

Eve Fitting Tool

http://www.easy-share.com/1913214664/EFT2.13.1.zip

EveMon skill planner

http://evemon.battleclinic.com/news/132106-EVEMon-1-3-4-Release-Candidate.html
12/29/10 7:51 PM
Squatdog

Give me your character name and I'll send you some of the money I'm wallowing in.
12/29/10 8:45 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm somewhat interested in this game as I am a PvP d-bag. I love to grief, can't help it.

The thing that always turned me off was the time commitment I assume is needed to get to the point where I can actually grief people. I don't need to gank, just making life harder for people is enough for me.

I'm wondering if anyone, especially squatdog, has a conservative guestimate on how many play hours it would take to get to that griefing point?

12/29/10 8:50 PM
Squatdog

The thing is, you don't actually have to be online to develop your skills to gank level.

You could make a solid griefing build in under a month and run around in T1 frigs, destroyers (well ONE type Destroyer) and Cruisers shooting stuff.

The easiest way to be a dick to people is find miners and steal the ore from their jetcans. This aggresses you to them and they may come back with a PVP ship, which you then blow up.
12/29/10 8:58 PM
gord96

Edited: 12/29/10 9:12 PM
yeah. thats what i was telling my friend when he was saying EVE sounds like a huge time sink. I told him my skills were training while i was at work.

my plan is to get a rifter up and running. i am 4 hours away from being able to fly one. problem is all my decent guns were destroyed when my Condor got blowed up by mercs. so i am now in a Slasher with a crappy rocket pod and neutron blaster.
12/29/10 9:01 PM
gord96

yeah Homie. You can't even imagine what you can do. the stuff i have read over the last few days is nuts. there is a pirate corp that makes all their money from ransoms. they find some miner loaded with precious metals and take his hull down to 25%, then make him pay up or they blow up his precious ship and cargo. if he pays a nice tidy sum they send him on his way.

squat. is a Rifter a decent griefing ship?
12/29/10 9:29 PM
Squatdog

Focus down one range of racial ships/weapons.

Rifter > Thrasher > Rupture is arguably the best and most efficient T1 gank progression.

Rifter and Thrasher are very cheap and pack a decent punch. A highskill T2-fit Thrasher can shred a lot of T2 and faction frigs 1v1.
12/29/10 9:44 PM
gord96

thanks squat. i spose i will stick to the rifter line. what type of weapon do your recommend?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.