UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> 2 wireless routers

12/30/10 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gramkind
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a large older home and the wireless router is in my office.  I ran a hardwire from the router, under the house and then thrugh the stairwell to the kids playroom which is upstairs.  I have too many kids to share 1 pc now, so my question is can I use the hardwire from the original router downstairs to another router upstairs?

Thanks for any thoughts.
12/31/10 12:11 PM
gsx_r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/31/10 12:12 PM
Yes. You're looking for a switch, example: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-EZXS55W-EtherFast-5-Port-Workgroup/dp/B00003006E<br /><br />To hardwire another PC, put a switch at the end of the cable, and plug both pcs into the switch. <br /><br /><1st router> -- <cable> -- <switch> --<2cables>-- <pc1 & pc2>
1/1/11 5:52 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 01/01/11 5:53 AM
i know this is probably not the case, but you should also keep in mind the max run for cat5 (to stay in spec) is just under 300 feet. anything longer than taht and you'll need to amplify it. They make Cat5 amplifiers for cases just like this. but unless your'e running fiber you'll need to mind the signal degradation.  but if there's a router in the middle there somewhere it acts like an amplifier itself. just make sure you don't have REALLY long runs.
1/1/11 5:56 AM
Humphrey

oh and yes, you can, to answer your question. Easiest way is to plug the wire you ran into the 'internet' port on the second router, then work as normal.

if you're running a windows server on a domain make sure DHCP is turned OFF both the routers.
1/1/11 6:42 PM
Road Warrior Fin
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humphrey - oh and yes, you can, to answer your question. Easiest way is to plug the wire you ran into the 'internet' port on the second router, then work as normal.

if you're running a windows server on a domain make sure DHCP is turned OFF both the routers.
Hump - I could be wrong but he will need to only use the switch ports and not the "WAN/Internet" port since that will cause a double NAT and could cause other problems between networking if there are no RP/Routes in between.

If its just plugged into a switch port, it will all stay on the same subnet.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.