UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Benefits of a Chiropractor?

12/31/10 1:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
allthat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been doing jiu jitsu for about 13 years along with some informal judo and have a lot of nagging back/neck pain and soreness, not from a specific injury just feels like wear and tear and recently got to the age where it takes a little longer to recover than when i was 17 :). My girlfriend recommended going to a chiropractor but have been a little hesitant. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this or can recommend someone in the phoenix, az area. Im open to any other sugestions as well. Thanks!!
1/1/11 2:15 AM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiropractors, like all other professionals, can range from great to horrible. I don't know of any in the Phoenix, AZ area, but just make sure to do your research before dishing out the money.

Also, chiropractic manipulations can help, but won't lead to long term benefits unless they are followed up with proper corrective exercises to fix the underlying cause. So it may help when doing the research to find a practitioner who offers rehab or works with a physical therapist or athletic trainer,
1/1/11 12:29 PM
allthat

Thanks for the reply. In the limited research i have done so far there seems to be a controversy on whether it does do any good over the long term and that's exactly the debate I had with the gf as she swears she was cured in one visit and I was a bit skeptical.
1/2/11 1:01 AM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never been to him but Dr. Palmer is chiropractor to the AZ Diamondbacks.

Or I can refer you to my Chiropractor in Tempe who has been treating my condition for years. He's old school and not one of these guys who pushes you into coming 3 times a week.
1/2/11 12:43 PM
allthat

lueng jon

thanks that would be great as i am in the tempe area!
1/2/11 11:09 PM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/11 11:09 PM
Dr Barry Pantzer 480 345-2100 He's @ 6000 S McClintock dr. Let him know John Gonzales referred you
1/6/11 1:19 PM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Working in the ER, I have seen some people come in that have been fucked up by chiropracters. If you plan on going to one, find a good one that knows what they are doing....if not you could make things alot worse.
1/27/11 4:47 AM
shen
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiropractic used to appeal to me. I wanted to like it, it's an appealing "idea". But it's just not reality.

If you research the history of chiropractic and what Chiropractors believe and are taught, it's fairly crazy stuff.

It's kinda like the Scientology of the health care profession.

I have been to three different Chiropractors in my life. I won't go again.

Last guy I went to was free. I only did it at my boss's insistence. He COMPLETELY misdiagnosed an common injury (I had a SLAP tear of the labrum, but he insisted my shoulder was "out of place" and needed to be adjusted. When I went to a real doctor the MRI said different.

A different Chiropractor I went to after I hurt my back. I also had a badly injured finger.broke a finger. the chiropractor assured me it wasn't broken. A week later it was black & blue and swollen into a huge sausage. I went to an orthopedist and the x-ray revealed a triangle shaped piece of bone had broken off from my finger.

My point...? Chiropractors have terrible diagnostic skills.

The other chiropractor I went to did absolutely nothing other than charge me for the visits. He did some cracks that are no different than those you can do to yourself with a chair.

From my experience, it's 70% Bullsh!t 30% normal Physical Therapy. The stuff that I liked at the chiropractors I went to all tuned out to be normal physical therapy.

Chiropractors do put a HUGE emphasis on patient skills and making the patient feel "good" that they are listened too, etc --which is often lacking when going to a physician. That is how they thrive.

When I was in college at girl at my school was made a paraplegic by a chiropractor at the campus health center (this was in the 90's). That is uncommon, but the risk is unacceptable because the "Back crack" is often just for show.

I would strongly recommend going to a physical therapist instead.

1/27/11 11:33 AM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen,

All of the examples you gave are definitely of BAD chiropractic situations. But those are only three cases. Instead of jumping to the conclusion that ALL chiros are awful, couldn't we also assume that you are just awful at choosing good chiros?

As I stated before in the thread, chiros are just like all other professions - you have GREAT ones, you have AWFUL ones, and you have ones that fill between. IMO, you roughly have the same chances of seeing a "quack" doctor or physical therapist as you do a "quack" chiro. Specifically with physical therapists, I have worked with people who have been seen by physical therapists who either stated they were done with their athletic career or insisted on what they were doing to treat an injury. After working on the people for a week, they had drastic improvements compared to what the physical therapist they were seeing produced. And to answer questions I am sure people are wondering, no I am not a chiro. In the same breath as well, I know a lot of AMAZING physical therapists that I wouldn't hesitate to refer people to.

WIth chiros, you do have two directions of study: there schools that incorporate a lot of the "shakra" and "flow of the body" and similar zen type stuff and then there are other schools that are more anatomy and biomechanically focused and rely more on conventional therapy and research based techniques. I personally favor the ladder of the two described, but have worked with chiros of the former type who were great as well. The biggest things as a patient is to do your research, find out how good the chiro is, and then begin to see them.

Chiros offer a great skills set (manipulation of spine and other joints) that are not in most other professionals scope of practice. When used wisely and intellegently and followed up with the proper rehab (strengthening and mobility of needed areas), the treatments can help a great deal.
1/28/11 3:32 PM
WidespreadPanic

Sports therapists are low velocity, high amplitude joint manipulators.

Chiros are high velocity, low amplitude.

1/28/11 5:22 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as a physical therapist student i am/was very critical of chiros but this past week i've visited my BJJ school's affiliated chiro and the guy is a miracle worker. employs a lot of cupping techniques which totally fixed the condition i was having with my back. in fact a previous chiro i visited took over an hour to do what this guy did in 20 minutes. plus, also a great nutritional freak as am I so we had some wicked nutritional convos as well :)
1/31/11 12:54 PM
impactks

I have had great results with chiropractic care.

It should be noted that Chiropractors have extensive hours in both diagnosis and x-ray, amongst other course work. My experience has been very positive and an x-ray/imaging was always taken prior to any treatment protocol.

That’s terrible that your experience was not the same but a few bad apples shouldn’t spoil the bunch. I would highly recommend finding a different DC.

1/31/11 4:59 PM
Bean Bag
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a herniated disk in my neck at the beginning of 2010.  I had pain ranging from 4-6/10 and numbness from my right hand to my elbow.  I went to my usual DC and went through 6 months of treatment without any improvements.  I was referred to a neurosurgeon that wanted to fuse.  I passed on the surgery.

At the beginning of December 2010, I tried a different DC who had some crazy techniques but fixed the herniation.  I have not had pain since the middle of December and stopped taking Lyrica completely. 

Some DC's are very good but most or mediocre or just bad.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.