UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> do any of you train with a HEART RATE MONITOR?

12/31/10 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was thinking about doing this. not sure if i should get the watch or the one that straps around your torso.

wondering if any of the hg uses this to train and what the benefits are?
12/31/10 4:30 PM
Ostovich
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use to use mine all the time. Its a great way to make sure you are actually training as hard as you think. Also you can monitor how long it takes to recover and what work outs really work you hardest. Not to mention if your actually in shape or not. When you first start if your not in shape your heart rate will go high really quick. once you get in shape it will be harder to get it up to high. We been using them for years. I would buy the one that has straps. I just felt it could detect my heart better. It is a great tool.

Aloha,
Bob-O
12/31/10 6:54 PM
FCTV808
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thx bob-o! any particular brand you recommend. been looking at the one on the costco website.
12/31/10 7:57 PM
Ostovich
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a timex one that has gotta be at least 6 years old and my boy uses it now. lol I think that the thing you need to do is ask your self what are you going to really need as far as features. for me all i needed was a lighted display. other than that all the basic stuff was all i needed. I didnt need any of the fancy stuff because i kept my own log in my logbook.

You will be amazed at some of the results when you start using it. I found that if i ran the road it took me about 35 minutes to reach the same heart rate if i ran the beach at the 2 minute mark. ( very soft sand out here in maili ) also if you run at high noon it took a little longer than cool evening run. and if your about to get sick or sick it would show up on your monitor as far as heart rate. I even was supprised some days when my body felt like it was working hard but the monitor said not so! lol so i had to step it up a notch. lol great tool to have as long as you use it.

Are you looking to compete again?
12/31/10 9:34 PM
FCTV808

not looking to compete man, just wanting to stay in better shape. teaching as much as i do nowadays really has been hurting my ability to keep my cardio n stuff up. so when i work out, i really want to make sure i'm maximizing the time.
12/31/10 9:51 PM
Ostovich

Cool, yes teaching takes away from cardio. is your black belt getting to short? lol well Have a great new year! Aloha. Bob-O
1/2/11 12:20 AM
hackett
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A useful thread on the HG? It's enough to give my heart problems ;)

I'm actually about to get one of these as well. The Omron HR100C looks like it fits me the best but I think Bob's Timex one gets a nice review too. Like Bob I'm not interested in anything but the actual monitor, no loggin of workouts, etc. I'm also the kind of guy who needs a ton of info to spend $30, yes I'm that guy.

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors

TH
1/2/11 1:26 AM
FCTV808

Awesome info th!
1/2/11 7:05 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im gonna look into this, I was in pretty good shape on my hunt. Muscular wise, I could walk and climb for 3days without legs getting sore, etc other than the normal plantar facitis in the morning.....UNHOLY FUKIN HELL! Cardio wasn't too bad considering I'mma heavy fat-ass, but I'd like better.

related Question....heart rate, I use the finger up the ass pulse count 15sec ;p Lately, I'm unable to get my HR up above the 140s w/o running outta gas :( Up until couple years ago (before ACL surgery)I could hit 160s doing intervals. I'm trying to keep the pace up using my light 35#k-bell and only 20# on my vest doing snatch sets, but fukin lose bowel control, cack goes limp and eyeballs cross-up. Same when I try a circuit on the TRX.

Am I just old and a fheg?
1/3/11 2:24 PM
T.Jay Thompson
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had the Timex for about a year and love it. For me it helps motivate on those days I just plan on going light. I found that out of shape I can get to 180bpm too quickly and can only sustain work rate at about 160bpm. 1 min rest only gets me to 150bpm from 170. In a bit better shape I can sustain work rate of 175 and get to mid 140's from 180 with 1min rest. Sadly, I have no idea what my 'in shape' numbers would be. Phone Post
1/3/11 4:32 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - just take your pulse at different times during your workout:

220 minus your age = max heart rate

60% to 85% of max heart rate = optimal training zone (lower in the zone, fat-burning; higher in zone, cardio-vascular conditioning)

take a 10 second count, multiply by 6, see where you're at

TOO MUCH MATH!
1/4/11 9:15 PM
Po'ai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn I dont think i ever even came close to my max heart rate... but then i always knew i was a lazy bastard so thats no surprise
3/8/11 1:38 PM
hackett
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So FCTV, did you ever make the big investment? I ended up getting the Omron model from Amazon and it's working like a charm.

I like knowing how efficient my running is.

It's really a solo, relaxed kind of thing for me -- but I like to push myself a bit, so it can be a little extra motivation too.

TH
3/8/11 4:02 PM
FCTV808

not yet man. been running around w/ my head cut off lately. need to grab one. i'll take a look at the omron!
8/15/11 8:56 PM
FCTV808

anyone know a local location that sells this?
8/16/11 2:48 AM
JIMMYNAKS
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My heart rate get to the maximum sprinting to the bathroom to pee during the commercials for my favorite shows on tv or to the kitchen for another beer Phone Post
8/16/11 3:23 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just fap till my chest starts tightening and I cant breathe. Thats when I know Im at my max rate.
8/16/11 3:26 AM
TheAlchemist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys don't have to brag! geez
8/16/11 8:58 PM
Moke
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/16/11 10:59 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I've wanted to do this for a while.

Do they have monitors that store everything, so you can go through a whole class and review it later as opposed to monitoring it in real-time?

A certain bastard I know who now lives in NY, has a resting heart rate in the mid 40's...when he's out of shape. That's why he's a bastard. 
8/16/11 8:59 PM
FCTV808

i will CRUSH HIS HEART RATE!
9/23/11 8:20 PM
hackett

Still...? Really? It's been damned near a year.

Perhaps you are worried about getting the chest strap over your manboobs?
9/23/11 8:50 PM
FCTV808

yes. yes. and yes.
9/24/11 10:56 AM
hackett

CLICK HERE FOR OMRON. 

Price: $34.99 ($34.99 / Count) & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. (incl Alaska & Hawaii)
  • INCLUDES CHEST STRAP, FULLY ADJUSTABLE FROM GRACE PARK TO JABBA THE KURANO
  • DOESN'T HAVE USELESS PROGRAMMING CRAP
  • ENDORSED BY HACKETT.
9/24/11 2:21 PM
FCTV808

that's awesome man. consider it sold. :) thks!
9/24/11 3:14 PM
TheAlchemist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, good find Hacket!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.