UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> LUTADOR, 9 April in Atlanta

1/3/11 9:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TomStedham
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LUTADOR OPEN

April 9th 2011

Cobb Civic Center
548 South Marietta Parkway
Marietta , Georgia 30060

KIDS
Either GI or No-GI: $50
Both GI and No-GI: $60

TEENS
Either GI or No-GI: $50
Both GI and No-GI: $60

Adults
Either GI or No-GI: $60
Both GI and No-GI: $70

$5 Spectator Fee

This is a Pre-Registration Only Event

Registration will be available online until April 6th. You can also register at the venue from 6pm to 8pm on Friday April 8th.

Weigh-ins will be Friday April 8th from 6pm to 8pm and throughout the day on Saturday April 9th.

No registrations will be accepted the day of the event!
-

In addition to our normal weight classes and divisions, below are the cash payout open divisions you can compete in.

Womens GI Open Division
-$100 Purse
-Open Weight Bracket (no weight divisions, all belts)

Mens White Belt Open Division
-$100 Purse
-Open Weight Bracket (no weight divisions)

Mens Blue Belt Open Division
-$200 Purse

Mens Purple Belt Open Division
-$300 Purse

www.lutadorgrappling.com
2/14/11 12:51 PM
lutadorgrappling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brown / Black Belt Pro Division

Light Weight $1000
Heavy Weight $1000

Only one Competitor per team per weight class.
3/23/11 10:06 AM
lutadorgrappling

This is a Pre-Registration Only Event

Registration will be available online until April 6th.
3/30/11 11:29 AM
lutadorgrappling

Registration ends next Wednesday!

Hope to see you there!
3/31/11 1:36 PM
manley0702
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lutadorgrappling - Brown / Black Belt Pro Division

Light Weight $1000
Heavy Weight $1000

Only one Competitor per team per weight class.

Do you know any of the names of the guys who will be competing in this division? It was an honor to watch Durinho roll last March, and O'Brien vs McPherson was the best match of the day.
4/10/11 5:35 PM
Kintanon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was one of the competitors at Lutador this time around, and thought I would offer a suggestion to make things run a bit smoother in the future.
Run the adult divisions first. Start them at 10am and stick to an enforced schedule.
Let the kids start at 4 in the afternoon or something like that. That way they can take all the time they want, and the adults don't end up leaving after waiting 5 hours for their division that was supposed to start at noon to actually get called.
Also, it would be a nice courtesy to send out emails if there aren't enough competitors to make a full division. If the deadline for registration is 3-4 days before the tournament I expect the brackets are mostly made by friday night. If people are moved out of the division they signed up for then a courtesy email would go a long way.

I ended up in the Masters blue belt Gi division, and the Adult Advanced No-gi division. I was told my Gi division would go before my no-gi division, and ended up having to change out of my gi and into my no-gi shorts at the side of the mat because my No-gi match got called despite repeated assurance of what the order would be.
I should NOT be having to change clothes in front of the spectators simply because the staff has no idea when the divisions are going to be happening.

In the past Lutador has had a reputation for being one of the best run tournaments because it is a pre-registration tournament, but a couple of guys from my gym have now sworn off of these tournaments because this one was just as disorganized as their experiences at NAGA.

Several of us warmed up more than once thinking our division was about to start, then ended up waiting hours before we had a match. During that time we couldn't eat because for all we knew our division would be called five minutes after we had a sandwich, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Also, the Pro division should be a big deal. Schedule it between the adult divisions and the kid divisions and do it in the center of the rings and stop everything so that people can watch. Announce the competitors, etc... Make it a big deal for everyone.

In all I was frustrated by the scheduling at the event and the repeated delays, but I was very happy with the quality of competitors at the event as well as the effort made by the staff to run things as smoothly as they could.

TL;DR version, Run the Adult divisions first, run the kinds in the afternoon. Courtesy emails if people get bumped to new brackets. Pimp out the pro division and make a featured event of it. I should not have to change clothes in front of the audience.

4/11/11 1:11 PM
graciebarrajay

I was at the Lutador this week and it was a great tournament. I competed and lost but the competition and level of competitors was great. The guys winning at the Lutador are all the guys winning at the big shows like Pan Ams and Mundials. If you can win at the Lutador you can win at the big shows.

It did run a little behind schedule but sometimes events get behind. I was at the Pan Ams this year and it ran several hours behind.

I talked to one of the staff and they said that they plan on working out the kinks at the next event. They just had way more kids than they usually do.

I will be ready next time so watch out blue belts.

See everyone at the next Lutador.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.