UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Yoseikan Jujutsu?

1/3/11 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stronghold
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/11 1:25 PM

It looks cool but it's Danish so... anyway, anyone ever train in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6l7YKTw5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWJpOxHodY

I know these are more demonstration vids but it looks 10x better than plain karate, any aikido, or combat judo.

1/3/11 1:21 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finnish? LOL. No, man. First video is French. 2nd video(and the organization) is Dutch. ;)

Haven't trained it, but other than the padded sticks it looks very similar to sport jujitsu stuff made popular by Ernie Boggs and Craig Oxley back in the day. I competed in a couple of tournaments. Good times.
1/7/11 6:08 AM
shen
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, Yoseikan Budo is an "off-shoot" of Yoseikan Aikido.

Or rather, the founder's son "re-made" Yoseikan Aikido into Yoseikan Budo, which is more practical and has a sporting element.

1/7/11 1:36 PM
Stronghold
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It looks like a replete art, not as focused on only ground fighting, joint locks, or head kicks as other MAs are, but well rounded. The problem I had with doing Pancrase (which is also a very replete art) was that it had very little to offer someone outside of the ring really. It assumed you'd always be fighting in a padded ring and it had no gi submissions (which work on people in jackets also). I'm not a huge fan of joint locks, but it's nice to learn how to get out of them at least.

But, some UGers have posted about sport jiu jitsu tournies and their problems. A takedown counts the same as a kick or a submission often times (IE: 1 point) and it's easier for a karate guy to get in 2 kicks to a JJ guy's one takedown or submission in a 90 second round.

I did find a budo forum and the guys all said there wasn't much demand for it anymore. MMA steals the stars and aikido takes the ladies. Too bad, it looks like something that would compliment judo, JJ, or even kickboxing.
1/7/11 3:12 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tori in the demo looked very skilled. Karate that has incorporated judo and bjj into its fighting system. Haven't heard am element of judo referred to as combat judo. When I watch world class judo I see a sport but it looks like combat with rules.
1/7/11 4:02 PM
Missing Glove Tape

judoblackbelt - Haven't heard am element of judo referred to as combat judo.

You call yourself a blackbelt yet you've never heard of Combat Judo as preserved(fabricated) by Rod Sacharnoski and the Juko Kai? Pfffft!
1/7/11 4:33 PM
Stronghold

'Judo' Gene Labelle's style is also combat judo (or it used to be).

There were rumors about aiki jutsu school(s) adding aiki stuff to groundfighting but I can't find out anything 'real' on the subject. There is so much BS, lies, and mysticism assciated with aikido (IE: gullible malletheads) you can't get a straight answer from any of them. Those guys will argue for pages about what name a move should be called in Japanese but won't even discuss certain topics otherwise. Yoseikan doesn't seem that cultish which is nice.
1/8/11 6:54 AM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To Missing glove -No I haven't. Too busy following world class judo, US judo what real judo is about.
1/8/11 9:33 AM
Stronghold

Kano might not agree with you on that but that is quite debatable.
1/8/11 4:52 PM
Missing Glove Tape

judoblackbelt - To Missing glove -No I haven't. Too busy following world class judo, US judo what real judo is about.

Pffft!

Rod Sacharnoski has a lock on 'real' judo. Combat Judo!!

Get with the program or turn in your belt.

1/8/11 4:58 PM
Stronghold

Edited: 01/08/11 4:58 PM
www.bullshido.net/forums/sitemap/index.php/t-9116.html 

Rod seems to have a lot of accusations against him  as to him being a diploma factory or some such thing.  Anyway, I am sure he has something to teach but take anything any self made 'soke' has to say with some degree of skepticism! 
1/8/11 6:28 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Wow. You really needed to google his name for results to know I was being facetious?

Reread my initial Sacharnoski post where I wrote "fabricated". ;)

I forget the title anymore but Sacharnoski was featured on some television docu about martial arts back in the day. In the docu he was demonstrating his Combat Judo and looking very TMA faggish while doing it. If I'm not mistaken he was wearing a black gi, kohaku obi, and those dorky addidas kicking shoes TMAers love. Not exactly the picture of judo legitimacy, now is it?
1/8/11 7:54 PM
Stronghold

Sorry, mang. I don't keep up with judo. I've done quite a few MA over the years (started in 1979) but judo cannot be counted amongst them.
1/8/11 8:53 PM
Missing Glove Tape

No worries.

I'm sure there are some historians here who can lecture us on specific curriculums and such. But for the most part, the thing about judo is that it's judo, period. And to me that's cool. Why? Because the techniques we practice today were practiced prior to WWII, and the techniques we no longer practice can still be found in bjj/sambo and standup striking arts. So if you choose to crosstrain and compliment your judo with those techniques you would be, for all intents and purposes, be doing 'combat' judo.

Just my opinion...
1/8/11 9:14 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bernard Cosneck was the man.
1/19/11 9:33 AM
Stronghold

why do you hate jointlocks? Do you think they're ineffective?

Mostly, yes. I studied them for a while and a couple of the Brasilians in BJJ were aikido BBs. Frankly, I had more trouble with the Greco trained guys than the aikido BBs. Even the San Soo master I trained under who was very, very good at locks only used them in a small variety of situations (he could make them work while ground fighting though). He preferred boxing techniques or grappling to set up submissions which were occassionally locks. His favorite was to set you up for an armbar or choke and if you tried to get out of it you'd roll right into a kneebar he put on you with his legs! Cool but frustrating.

I asked him about Aiki locks/throws and he just told me he thought they were low percentage moves comparatively. But, his knife defenses were amazing but very simple. He said the problem with most aikido is that they learn 1000 locks. He said he mastered one lock for 1000 things instead :)

And, I have always believed aikido is for people that have a large knowledge of wrestling and pugalism already just like Ueshiba did. Even Sombo has an 'old man' style that looks like aikijutsu, but it is supposed to be what people learn after they've done Sombo for 20 years already... so I've been told (I'm not sure I believe that 100% though).

Read up on Mits Yamashita, he added BJJ and karate to his aikido long ago. His story is not unusual but still interesting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.