UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Things to do in Munich?

1/5/11 7:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking of going to Munich for a weekend in a few weeks. If anyone has been there, any tips on what to do out there?

Flights from London are piss cheap at the moment, so might go back again if it's any good.
2/16/11 1:39 PM
Last Don
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a ton of things to do in that area, if you have the time.

What kind of things are you into? If you're into history, there are a ton of walking tours, there's a palace right in the city, and the entire area around the Marienplatz is pretty awesome.

Definitely drink a ton of Augustiner. It's my favorite beer in the world, and it contractually can not be sold or distributed outside of Munich's city limits.
2/21/11 10:57 AM
banjo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking of going to Munich later in the year, possibly October or November depending on when flights are cheap.

Timely thread...
2/23/11 9:07 AM
Last Don
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife and I went there last April, and it was incredible. We spent a week in Munich, so we got to get out to explore Bavaria on a few tours.

This is one of the most awesome places I've ever been to. The people, the city, and the countryside are just amazing. I had zero complaints, except that everyone I spoke German to would reply in English. I finally confronted one of the waiters about this, and he said that it's because we were their guests, and that they should accomodate me, and make me feel at home.

I told him to never, ever come to America.
2/25/11 8:52 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm into history, anything i particular you could recommend?

And what about nightlife?
2/28/11 2:09 PM
Last Don

There are a TON of walking tours you can take throughout the city.

I recommend the beer tour, and the Third Reich tour, if you're a WWII buff.

If you have time to get out into the countryside, the Romantic Road tour, which includes Rottenburg, and some of the other smaller towns and forts was really very cool. My wife was more into Neuschwanstein and the other castles. She was also a huge fan of Eagle's Nest.

I really enjoyed the area around Marienplatz. This is basically the city center. It's a ton of shops, etc., but their city hall dates back to the 1200s, and that's the "new city hall." There are also a ton of old churches and buildings.

I'll go home tonight and find the contact info for the tour company we took all our tour's through. Their office was right in the train station, and all their tours were in English, usually with Brit tour guides. We made great friends on the Beer Tour, and basically hung out with those folks for a good chunk of the time you're there.

Don't forget to go to the Hofbrauhaus, and go up to the third floor. That's where the Bierhall Putzsch took place. Very cool to be sitting, having a beer, listening to an Umpa band play where Hitler started the Nazi movement.
3/2/11 2:02 AM
banjo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man, this great info!
3/2/11 9:32 AM
Last Don

There's also a palace in Munich itself, with a royal carriage museum. It sounds pretty boring, but it was actually really cool to see all the ridiculously ornate carriages that were each only used once.

Also, walk south of Marienplatz, out onto the island with a main city gate, which I think is called Tur. It's awesome to see what the gate looks like, because the bombed out picture of that gate is probably the most famous picture of the aftermath of WW2 in Germany.

I absolutely love Munich, and Bavaria as a whole.
3/3/11 6:37 AM
HULC

Last Don,

Cheers mate, i appreciate all the info. :)
3/3/11 3:42 PM
Last Don

No problem.

Enjoy your time there. My wife and I are already trying to plan a return trip.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.