UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Would you have played this hand the same way?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/7/11 6:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AndyDANGER
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started playing poker seriously about 8 months ago so I am still very green.

This was at a small live tournament 50 dollar buy in.

Table has six people on it blinds are 200/400

I am sitting about 11,200 in chips UTG
SB - 6,000
BB- 4,500
Button- 10,500
I am dealt QsQc  UTG, I raise to 1000

fold fold, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls,

Flop 2c Qh 9s   BB checks, I raise another 1000, Button re-raises to 2000, BB folds, I call. (at this time I think he has Q,9 or possibly pocket 9's.  He had been playing low and mid pocket pairs all night)

Turn: Qd    I shove all in for my last 8,000, and he calls right behind me. ( I shoved knowing I had the best hand and pretty sure he would follow if he had pcoket 9's or 2's)

Showdown: he turns over pocket nines for the boat and I turn over Quads.

I won the hand but I was just hoping for a little analysis if there would have been a better way to play the hand, was I way off with my bets? 
1/7/11 8:25 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your bet on the flop is horrible.  You are giving drawing hands 4 to 1 to call.  Your essentially putting your entire tournament at risk for a thousand chips and will have no clue what your opponents have because their range to call 1000 is large and you have no chance of getting away from that hand. 

It also makes no logical sense to call if you think your opponent has Q9 or 99 (which is really impossible to say at that point anyways).  If your opponent was that strong, they will never fold their hand and they are nearly drawing dead.  Why not re-raise your opponent there?  What if he was bluffing with J8 and hits a straight on the turn?  What if he was bluffing with 2 random spades and a spade comes up on the turn.  What if that spade also fills a straight?  What if he has 10s2s and the jack of spades hits on the turn.  You shove he catches one of his outs, and then you complain for an hour about how big of a donkey he is.

Your small raise on the flop followed by a massive raise on the turn is very donkish.  That being said, you are more likely to get a call as a bad player's range is so wide there.
1/7/11 9:15 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your bet on the flop is GOOD

The board is rainbow the ONLY DRAW is j10...so a small bet keeps alot of weak hands he may have in..

or he may float and try and play back at you.

Turn shove all in is bad.. he can only call with fh maybe he calls light with 1010 or better.
 checkturn or bet small like 2000

he may lead into you on river with air or weak hand if you check the turn.

You got lucky in rare spot he had a hand to pay you off with.
1/7/11 11:19 PM
VectorWega

wreckker -  Your bet on the flop is GOOD

The board is rainbow the ONLY DRAW is j10...so a small bet keeps alot of weak hands he may have in.. 
He.....don't u mean they?  He bet 1,000 into two players.  J-10 is getting the right odds to call even against QQ.  If the first player calls, the 2nd player could easily call with a gutshot and a backdoor straight draw getting 5 to 1 on his money.

Also the bet is really suspicious.  It's too small to be a standard continuation bet, which is what I would think you would want to bet here.

Your point on the turn is correct though.  Who the hell shoves on the turn with quads?  Maybe if you are doing some serious levelling..otherwise it makes no sense.
1/8/11 4:26 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flop bet is too small I thought he was betting into one person.

with two other opponets I would bet 1200-1500 into 3000 pot..trying to sell AK or underpair type hand.

That board is still fairly dry.

Only draw is j10 or gutshot chnace is fairly low of them having those hands with Hero raising UTG
 t the 200-400 level.

1/9/11 12:46 PM
VectorWega

wreckker -  Flop bet is too small I thought he was betting into one person.

with two other opponets I would bet 1200-1500 into 3000 pot..trying to sell AK or underpair type hand.

That board is still fairly dry.

Only draw is j10 or gutshot chnace is fairly low of them having those hands with Hero raising UTG
 t the 200-400 level.

Wreckker, you have proven yourself to me.  You're legit, and I certainly think that more than likely you would be a winning player at 10NL.
1/12/11 4:16 AM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

preflop is perfect sizing. The flop a case can be made for betting or checking. It's ALMOST dry enough that you'd have to check (note I never advocate slowplaying)

pot is 3200+antes so 1k is smallish. I'd prefer somewhere around 1.5k-2k.

What amount would you bet if you had AJ/AK/JJ/A9?

The turn bet is terrible. You just obviously cinched up the hand with the absolute nuts. And he raised the flop! All your bet does is stop him from bluffing you.

At this point its IRRELEVANT if he has 99 or 22, all the money is going into the pot anyway, he'll make sure of it, so we don't care about those cases.

We need to think of the hands in his range other than those.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.