UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Soren Kierkegaard the Best Christian of All Time?

1/15/11 10:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Irrationality = the source of the dionysian.

I think in that sense he was concerned about its' suppression.
1/15/11 5:57 PM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thirdleg - Instinct

Yes. Although I'm not sure if Kierkegaard would characterize it as so.
1/16/11 7:29 PM
Ridgeback
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Ray - 
Ridgeback -  Joe Ray,

If you like Kierkegaard I think you would like the French philosopher Jacques Ellul.  He has a number of books translated into English

Kierkegaard was wedded to the aristocratic pre-industrial hierarchial form of society that preceded the modern egalitarian democratic age and was concerned about the effect of the 'crowd' upon the individual, in particular his capacity to experience the subjective 'truth' neccessary for a proper Christian faith in the face of an objective moral order that the 'crowd' posits as the ultimate truth.

This was also a concern for Nietzsche, except he was concerned with the effect this would have on the creative instincts of man.

Both are concerned about the suppression of the irrational side of man, which Kierkegaard sees as the wellspring of religious faith and Nietzsche as the source of artistic creativity.

From what I have just read on the web about Jacques Ellul he appears to be a Christian anarchist so I'm not sure if my time would be well spent reading him. He appears to be on the side of the 'crowd' denounced by Kierkegaard(or the 'herd' denounced by Nietzsche).

You can take my word for it or pass it up.  It was just a suggestion.  I can assure you that his "The Subversion of Christianity" is a continuation of the theme of how to be a Christian in Christendom.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.