UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> shotgun shells stuck

1/10/11 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought a remington 870 supermagnum. I went to shoot it this week-end with some Winchester 12ga Supertarget ammo.

Here is the situation:
-It was really cold outside (-10 Celcius)
-After i shot, a lot of the times, the empty shell would not be ejected and would stay stuck in the barrel.

Here are my questions:
-Am i right to think that this happened because the cold temperature made the barrel shrink?
-Is there anything i am supposed to do to avoid this?

Thanks
1/12/11 11:00 AM
simthefarmer

anyone?

is this normal or not?
1/12/11 11:03 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/11 11:06 PM
I've never seen a round stick in the chamber before in any of my shotguns. Coldest I've been out was deer hunting, got down to single digits (Fahrenheit) with snow and ice (but I got the deer dammit!!!). No problems with shells sticking in the chamber then.

You probably have two things wrong and taking care of one or the other will probably fix it.
1. cheap winchester shotgun ammo sucks,
2. Remington Express grade guns have rough chambers and poor QC to make them cheaper to make.

Cheaper winchester ammo has been known to have problems with the rounds being a little bit out of spec and sticking in chambers. It's probably steel cased, (a lot of cheaper shells are steel and not brass, check it with a magnet). Steel doesn't contract when it heats up as quickly as brass.
Solution: Try another brand of ammo and see if it's still happening. Federal and remington cheapies usually work well where winchesters don't.

2. Remington makes the express grade guns cheaper by using cheaper parts and not putting finishing touches on them. Most remington express grade guns have tool marks in their rough chambers. You can polish the remington chamber pretty easily with about $20 or so invested to do it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=428929 has a link about polishing the chamber, it's not hard to do and pretty much anybody can do it. Essentially, you can get some 4/0 steel wool (0000), wrap it around a bore brush and just work it back and forth in the chamber until it's shiny, or go more elaborate like some of those posters did

If it's still happening after your chamber is shiny and/or you've tried other ammo, you've probably got an extractor issue. You can play with it yourself or take to a gunsmith if you're not comfortable detail stripping your action to play with the parts (probably a chipped extractor or bad spring).

I'd try the ammo thing first (cheaper and quicker), then chamber, then probably gunsmith, YMMV.
1/13/11 8:33 AM
simthefarmer

thanks alot for that answer!
1/18/11 4:23 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any update on the problem?
1/18/11 9:23 AM
simthefarmer

wasn't able to re-shoot it yet. I live in an urban area so there isn't much opportunity to try it.

I did check the ammo though and it is indeed steel.
1/30/11 10:30 PM
BobAsh

Another thing, in cold weather, the plastic shell is way stiffer and the fit in the chamber is less forgiving.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.