UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Pretty Straightforward - AA in hijack

1/11/11 12:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm dying to tell you guys about a play I made yesterday, but it will look like I'm bragging, and I would be bragging, and you might find fault in the play and that would burst my bubble so I'll just be content with reliving it in my mind. ;)

But on to the hand in question. This is pretty straightforward, but I'm curious about bet sizing and since it's live cash and I rarely talk about that here, here goes:

I'm in the hijack with AA. $5/$5 blinds. Avg stack size at the table is $500. I have $550 in front of me. UTG+1 limps in. Folds to me and I open for $25, which is a bit small for this table, especially considering the early limper, so one thing I would improve is my initial raise...should have been $35-$45 on that table. Button calls. He's a tight player, but my $25 raise is almost a minimum raise at that table (and because he has position) so his range is probably any two broadway cards. SB folds. BB makes it $100, which was exactly what I had hoped (there is a history there, which was a factor in my preflop bet size, but I still think I should have made it bigger). Let's just say that he's not afraid to get his stack in the middle, but he's also not reckless. In my opinion, he was the best player at the table.

UTG+1 folds. My turn to act. BB has $800 in front of him, button has $400.

Again, this is straightforward, I just want to see what you feel is the appropriate bet size, or if anyone simply calls here.

Thanks!
1/11/11 2:51 PM
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - I'm dying to tell you guys about a play I made yesterday, but it will look like I'm bragging, and I would be bragging, and you might find fault in the play and that would burst my bubble so I'll just be content with reliving it in my mind. ;)

No harm in bragging, telling bad beat stories, etc. on here DESPITE what some would have you believe.

Feel free to express yourself freely.

God help us if we have to filter everything we say through the expectations of others.

1/11/11 3:16 PM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/11/11 3:18 PM
It was an interesting hand because it followed a hand in which I represented a flush and made what looked like a value bet that almost got him to lay down his straight. After he agonized and then called, another player asked him if he would have called a shove (we were pretty deepstacked), and he said he would have been suspicious of a shove (why wouldnt I want value if I hit the flush) but didnt think he could call it.

So a few hands later several people called an early position raise of 4X, including him, and I'm on the button with Td9d. I call, as well. The flop comes 7d Jd 3c. Two players check and the villain from the previous hand makes a pot sized bet. I call (I have an awesome draw, obviously) because I want more people to enter the pot. Unfortunately, the other players fold and we see the turn. 7s. He makes a $200 bet into a pot of about $300 and again I call. I have only $240 behind. The river is a Js. He makes a small bet of $80 into a $700 pot. He still had $200 behind. I read it as weak, rather than a value bet, then I said, "You said you would only fold to a shove...I hope you were telling the truth." Then I pushed my measly $160 into this HUGE pot. Then I look away as if I'm trying to hide my bluff (acting weak). He studies me and asks me if I was on a flush draw that missed. I don't answer. I thumb through a magazine while he agonizes. Then he folds. I dont show.

I think he might have been betting his own flush draw, but he seemed to agonize as if he had a pair better than jacks. It could have been acting, but I was proud of the hand because I could have given up on the hand after missing, but the perfect scare card came and when he made a weak bet I think I read it correctly and represented what he was afraid I was holding (perhaps a weak j that I was calling down).
1/11/11 3:17 PM
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easy fold for you there.

;)
1/11/11 3:19 PM
andre

JHR, thats what I did. I folded because I read the UTG+1 player as strong and we were too deepstacked for me to take a chance at getting sucked out on.
1/11/11 3:22 PM
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read it as you having two aces while he was holding a parakeets.

*ba dum dum!* thank you I'll be here all night, try the fish!
1/11/11 3:26 PM
andre

LOL...If opponent has parakeets, no can defend. Good laydown on my part!
1/11/11 5:50 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting AA, given the stack sizes.

You likely don't want to be sandwiched on the flop if the button calls, so I'm reraising here. But how much?

Any raise pretty much commits you to the hand, but you do want some action.

I'll go to $250 (raise $150). UTG+1, if he has a real hand, is not going to want to play it out of position and will likely shove or fold, especially if the button, for some ridiculous reason, comes along. Yeah, let's give him a chance to commit.

Another line I like here is straight shoving. Let him think I'm overplaying AK and see if he comes along. Some people will.

What did you do? What happened? (See? SO much more fun when you don't post the results!)
1/11/11 9:56 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$5/$5 blinds?!?...lots of limping going on?!....$25 = small preflop raise?!?...my god this live poker.  Shit sounds rigged for real.
1/12/11 2:11 AM
andre

Vector you would love this game.

At Hollywood Park, you have the following games to choose from for NL:

$1/$2 blinds - $40 buy in. Or, the table where you are most likely to be shot.

$2/$3 - $100 buy in. Short stack play. Easy game to beat as most players there have no concept of short stack play. They'll commit 90% of their stack and then fold.

$3/$5 - $200 buy in. This is the hardest table to beat because it is nothing but regulars. I played at this table for two years every single day, for four hours a day. When someone new shows up it is like a feeding frenzy.

$5/$5 - $300-$500 buy in. I always buy in for $400 or $500, as $300 doesnt have enough fold equity at this table. The wild west. Crazy game, but definitely the most profitable. I'm averaging $130/hr at this table (finally keeping accurate records via an iPhone app). This is the best game in L.A., imo.

$5/$10 - $500+. I dont think there is a cap on this table, but if there is, it's 3 or 4 thousand dollars. If you have the bankroll for it, you can make a fortune at this table. It is financed by some really rich old guys who have no idea what they're doing. They'll suck out on you and make your life miserable if you dont have the bankroll, but if you do it is like taking candy from a baby (so Im told...I stay away from those limits).
1/12/11 2:26 AM
andre

joe,

I guess I can say since it's a relatively straightforward hand and there doesnt seem to be much to talk about. I was curious as to the bet sizes others would use, but I think my sizing was good.

I reraised to $290 ($190) and both folded. I wanted a call from the BB as he had the bigger stack, but he said he had AQ and there was no way he was calling with anything but kings there, unless, perhaps the button was in as well (which wouldnt have been horrible at all, but I prefer to be heads up with AA).
1/12/11 4:10 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, reraise to whatever. $250+. Probably a shove is best, since it would look the most bluffy.

Your second hand, fold to the turn bet. You can make a case for raising the flop bet.
1/12/11 10:27 AM
Spuds Buckley
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I flat call here

Pot is a bit less than 300

If it is just you and BB, the SPR is less than 2, should be easy to get the rest of the chips in

Button might call behind you, but your flat call looks weak, he probably folds or shoves

With this low SPR I don't mind playing AA 3 way, chips are all going in post flop 99% of the time
1/12/11 12:15 PM
andre

PR, I knew I shouldnt have shared it without having all of the details down...I was pretty adrenalized when the hand was happening because it was a big move and he had all the reasons to call...so I know I am off on the bet size of his turn bet. I dont say that as a revision in order to justify my play, but because his bet was giving me the approximate odds I needed in order to call. A raise on the flop would have probably been best. I didnt because I thought one of the others might remain in the hand, thereby improving the odds for my draw. Anyway, it's possible I misplayed the turn (without remembering the exact bet sizes I should have just said I missed a decent draw and successfully bluffed to take down a big pot), but I was happy with the way I sold the shove on the river. Online I would have been snap-called, unless he had missed a draw as well, and even then I might have been called by ace high.

Spuds,

That's a good play, too, I think. I generally try to get all of the money in the pot with AA or KK against one player, not because Im worried about someone sucking out, but because I'm worried they board will be unfavorable to them and they won't put any more money in. I do dislike playing AA against more than one player, but of all the things to dislike in poker, I think I'll take that situation over any of the others. :)
1/13/11 12:01 AM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Often a shove looksweaker than the raise to 290$

Like PR said it looks like a AK often and he may commit with 10 10 or JJ

when u raise to 290$ some players may dump 1010 or JJ knowing u are committed to your hand.

Plus like you mentioned overcards to his pair could hit or he has AK and he misses flop then you miss out 
on rest of his stack.

with 450 left shove is best move IMO against decent or good player.

1/13/11 4:07 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - Your second hand, fold to the turn bet. You can make a case for raising the flop bet.

This.

But the river shove was sweet (even though a better decision earlier would have obviated a river decision -- again). Way to take advantage of the changing texture of the hand!

If we're bragging, I can remember a line I took on a two pair board into a hyper-aggro douche (you know the type) on a $5/$10 table. He was bullying the table, basically having a dick-measuring contest, and I couldn't catch a card to save my life.

Long story short -- double paired board on the river. I bet, he raises hard, I come right back over the top, he folds. Air.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.