UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Got my first bible today

1/12/11 6:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jimmy23
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first bible as an adult, that is

I was at a meeting at a church, saw a counter with fliers and bibles in english and spanish

Asked the lady down the hall how much they cost, she said they were free. So I took one, insisted that she accept a $5.00 donation (the church does a lot of work feeding the homeless), and now I have a NKJV bible

what next?
1/12/11 6:37 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/11 6:42 AM
Now you hold the same book that is found on every altar in every FreeMason lodge.....very special in my opinion!
1/12/11 11:25 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitting, I think the KJB had like it's 400th anniversary the other day.
1/12/11 11:26 PM
jimmy23
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so, should I just start at the beginning and read? Flip throughh and read what catches my eye?
1/13/11 4:19 AM
Sliced
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now read Numbers 31 and tell me if that's a god you'd like to worship. I'll wait. I have more lovely stories if you like.
1/13/11 4:49 AM
jimmy23

10ers gonna 10
1/13/11 6:42 AM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is probably missing some good OT books, but NKJV isn't a bad translation.  How you approach the Bible depends on what your emphasis is.  If you want a more Jewish perspective read the first 5 books.  If you want a Christian perspective start with the Gospels, then Acts, and then the various Epistles (I think James is a good one).  In the OT I like Job, Psalter, Ecclesiastes, Wisdom of Solomon, Proverbs, and Sirach.
1/13/11 8:53 PM
5pointer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/11 8:54 PM
apacrypha? u got to be kidding?

on a side note, i just got my brand new NLT today. I'm pumped
1/14/11 12:26 AM
Ridgeback
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5pointer - apacrypha? u got to be kidding?

on a side note, i just got my brand new NLT today. I'm pumped

Apocrypha is kind of like the Soviets referring to Americans as imperialists.  It is a loaded term.  For the record, the KJV of the Bible didn't remove the deutero-canonical books from the OT until 1830 to save on printing costs.  In other words, people just accept the Bible they are handed today without asking why certain books were taken out.
1/14/11 1:45 AM
Sliced
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jimmy23 -  10ers gonna 10

I know a hell of a lot more about the Bible that the majority of Christians. I don't understand what my join date on an MMA forum has to do with my Biblical knowledge.
1/14/11 2:07 AM
Ridgeback

Sliced - 

I know a hell of a lot more about the Bible that the majority of Christians. I don't understand what my join date on an MMA forum has to do with my Biblical knowledge.

I doubt you know more than the majority of Christians, but you probably know more than the majority of Sikhs.
1/14/11 2:45 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliced - 

Did you run a poll and quiz a large group of questions to place yourself in a majority of knowledge? Or is it that you have seemingly known more about the Bible or at least specific points/parts of the Bible that you have trained yourself to refute than the majority of 18 year old Christians you have met?

1/14/11 2:58 AM
jimmy23

Sliced - 

and you have no idea what my motivations are for reading the bible, what my theological inclinations are, nor my spiritual condition

10ers gonna 10
1/14/11 3:02 AM
Ridgeback

jimmy23 - 
Sliced - 

and you have no idea what my motivations are for reading the bible, what my theological inclinations are, nor my spiritual condition

10ers gonna 10

I really am an 01er.  My date got reset when Kirik made me a little mini HG mod.  Being an 07er is way too close to an 10er
1/14/11 3:06 AM
jimmy23

lol
1/16/11 2:11 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliced - 

6 Yet when I am among mature believers, I do speak with words of wisdom, but not the kind of wisdom that belongs to this world or to the rulers of this world, who are soon forgotten. 7 No, the wisdom we speak of is the mystery of God[c]—his plan that was previously hidden, even though he made it for our ultimate glory before the world began. 8 But the rulers of this world have not understood it; if they had, they would not have crucified our glorious Lord. 9 That is what the Scriptures mean when they say,

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared
for those who love him.”[d]

10 But[e] it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. 11 No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. 12 And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.

13 When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths.[f] 14 But people who aren’t spiritual[g] can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. 15 Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. 16 For,

“Who can know the Lord’s thoughts?
Who knows enough to teach him?”[h]

But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.
1/17/11 7:04 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliced - 

your knowledge seems weak and suspect to me, and if you knew anything you would know that the bible written by the church of england is not God.
1/19/11 12:13 AM
yusul
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jimmy, i would suggest that you go with what ridgeback says. although if you do want to understand Christianity, then the gospels are not only the easiest place to start, they will give you the magnifying glass for the rest of the bible.

although there is overlap, it's interesting to note how different aspects of the ministry and life of Jesus were emphasized.

the letters of pPul are relevant today for believers, in that it showed how the early churches drifted, and how they were affected by contraversial views.

1/19/11 12:34 AM
Sliced

Robert Wynne - 
Sliced - 

your knowledge seems weak and suspect to me, and if you knew anything you would know that the bible written by the church of england

The church of England did not "write" anything, amigo. Translate, yes.

is not God.

Yes, I am aware that a collection of papers is not a deity. Anything else?
1/19/11 3:40 PM
jimmy23

yusul - jimmy, i would suggest that you go with what ridgeback says. although if you do want to understand Christianity, then the gospels are not only the easiest place to start, they will give you the magnifying glass for the rest of the bible.

although there is overlap, it's interesting to note how different aspects of the ministry and life of Jesus were emphasized.

the letters of pPul are relevant today for believers, in that it showed how the early churches drifted, and how they were affected by contraversial views.

thanks man. I already have a very good relationship with the God of my understanding, I am looking to expand and enrich it
1/20/11 12:12 AM
yusul
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sorry, i hadn't assumed you were versed and i hope it didn't sound too pedantic; i post here sporatically. i know a buddhist who wanted to read it from the beginning, but without any context i saw how daunting it would be. so i wanted to offer some encouragement in case you were in her shoes.

good luck.
1/21/11 6:20 AM
jimmy23

no problem at all bro :)
1/23/11 2:07 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sliced - 
Robert Wynne - 
Sliced - 

your knowledge seems weak and suspect to me, and if you knew anything you would know that the bible written by the church of england

The church of England did not "write" anything, amigo. Translate, yes.

is not God.

Yes, I am aware that a collection of papers is not a deity. Anything else?
You have passed the test. Your knowledge is complete, young Paduwan. You are now...a JEDI.

1/26/11 9:52 AM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy23, Check out www.lifejournal.cc They have a good reading plan you can follow. Also they provide a great format for writing your own devotionals. Phone Post
1/26/11 11:19 AM
jimmy23

that is a great link, thank you!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.