UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Got my first bible today

2/23/11 9:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would read james (new testament) first

easy reading, but practical
2/24/11 12:54 AM
jimmy23
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool

just got a Lamsa bible, too
3/28/11 12:07 PM
figure four
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the bible is not an open book
3/31/11 11:50 AM
Juijitsuboxer
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read Tobit first.
4/7/11 4:10 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 04/07/11 4:17 PM
Read the book of James first.
4/7/11 4:11 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 04/07/11 4:20 PM
If i was you I would get New American Standard (NSB)for the closest translation from the greek and hebrew.<br /><br />

The New International Version (NIV) is good and the easist to read in our current modern english. It is alo on a lower reading level.<br /><br />

The "New" King James (NKJ) is goo as well.<br /><br />

The (ESV) English Standard version is real good but not as good as the NASB.<br /><br />

Stay away from the KING JASMES version. It was wrritten in an archaic english and a lot of the words used have a compltely different meaning in modern english.<br /><br />

Unfortunatly most people rely on the KING JAMES (KJ) version. The NEW KING JAMES (NKJ) version has nothing to do with the King James version. It is a completly current and updated translation and does not use the old english.<br /><br />
4/14/11 11:03 AM
Grakman

Edited: 04/14/11 11:22 AM
Never mind, jokes been made already.
4/15/11 1:39 AM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found a copy of the 1966 edition of the Jerusalem Bible a while ago, I've been reading and comparing it to other translations here and there. I understand it's more commonly used in the liturgy in Europe than the U.S.

J.R.R. Tolkien was on the translation board and translated Jonah and Job, I've heard.
4/15/11 1:20 PM
Grakman

TheStewedOwl - I found a copy of the 1966 edition of the Jerusalem Bible a while ago, I've been reading and comparing it to other translations here and there. I understand it's more commonly used in the liturgy in Europe than the U.S.

J.R.R. Tolkien was on the translation board and translated Jonah and Job, I've heard.

Cool piece of trivia, thanks for sharing.
4/18/11 5:09 PM
zealot66
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first time I ever got into reading the bible was after I memorized the entire book of james. I used to compete in Bible Quiz. They would qoute half the verse and the firs person to stand up and finish it won. I also memorized phillipians and colossians.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.