UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Totally hypothetical question

1/12/11 3:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/12/11 4:01 PM

Obviously.

You are on the bubble of the WSOP main event. It doesnt matter whether you got there from a satellite or paid out of pocket, it cost you $10,000 to enter.

You have pocket aces under the gun. You have 10 BBs on a table with most stacks over 40BBs and one on the button that is near 100BBs (and he likes action). There is one player at the table who has been whittled down to 4 BBS is directly after you so he'll be hit by the blinds very soon and likely have to play any two cards.

Do you shove, even though you are almost certain to have action from at least one, maybe two players, or do you bite down hard on your lower lip and muck the aces so that you can make the money first before committing the rest of your stack?

And after you've answered regarding AA, how about KK (unless you muck AA...in which case there is no need to answer KK).
1/12/11 4:03 PM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, I would shove, but I would be very tempted to skirt the rules by saying, "Im on the bubble and there is only one hand I'll do this with."
1/12/11 4:04 PM
andre

Perhaps a better question would be if you were in the BB and the button shoved on you, and the SB folded. The short stack of 4 BBs is set to be out (or double up any hand now)Do you call?
1/12/11 5:00 PM
Jay Sin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd get my money in good with AA and hope for a double / triple up. Being low stack, and watching your chips potentially dwindle away over the next 10 - 12 hands just to make two times the buy-in fee isn't worth not shoving.

I'd have to think about KK though. I've been burned shoving with KK too many times (usually against AJ, A4, A8 etc). In all likelihood, I'd take the risk with KK too.

Like JHR mentioned in his post... to play for 4 - 6 hours, make it near / just past the bubble and bust out due to one stupid call hurts a ton. An AA or KK shove does not qualify as a "stupid call" IMO. I'd damn well hurt to bust out, but at least you got your money in good.

*On a side note, I've busted out of FTP's Double Deuce two weeks in a row with KK for eff sakes. Almost as bad as 5 consecutive bad beat losses when I had Aces all in pre-flop in their super turbo SnG's.
1/12/11 9:47 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing in this world keeps my money out of the middle with AA preflop and 10BB. Bubble be damned.
1/12/11 11:53 PM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10bb turns into 23 bb with a probable double up...

nowu have a three bet stack and a chance in tourney!

KK is a good question though because main event is one bubble that matters...

I have made tighter than normal laydowns at the wsop on the table and regretted it...
 I also pushed my last tourney at wsop with 9-5 off in SB knowing it was very high% play...

guy thought and thought and called with qjc busted me 10 out of money in 2500 person filed after combined 16 hours of play.

Last year was brutal 4 day two's and only 1 cash.

AA money gets in for sure 99%  KK most of the time but situations where I would muck with 10bb
1/13/11 2:09 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldnt think twice about AA-QQ especially sicne nowadays experienced players are very good with equities and math such that those big stacks will have a very wide range getting AI with you (either shoving on you or calling your shove).

As wreckker said, getting up to 22+bb is a huge step up from 10bb.

You go from flipping for your life to having a stack and the time that buys you to get back in the tourney.
1/13/11 1:03 PM
andre

Thanks, guys.

Since we're UTG, what do you think about a min raise with KK and QQ, since it will look like we want action and might induce a fold from everyone except, possibly, the small stack. I realize that you normally want action with your KK or QQ, but with the min raise you might get the blinds, or possibly the blinds and the small stack, without risking your tournament life when a couple of minutes later you are guaranteed $20k. Plus, you might get a caller or two, so that you can see a flop and fold if there is an overcard and you havent hit your set.

Maybe?
1/13/11 3:51 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude, if you must, stall for as much time as you can, like that idiot lady did a few years ago at the WSOP main event. But if you're seriously considering laying down KK or AA with 10BB preflop for any reason, give your head (and wallet) a shake.
1/13/11 4:17 PM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joe canada - Dude, if you must, stall for as much time as you can, like that idiot lady did a few years ago at the WSOP main event. But if you're seriously considering laying down KK or AA with 10BB preflop for any reason, give your head (and wallet) a shake.

stalling doesnt work close to bubble they hand by hand

but far ebniugh out it can have a effect

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.