UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> 10th Planet JJ Phenom Ari Bolden Seminar!

1/12/11 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AFTERNOON SESSION: 10TH PLANET JIU-JITSU AND SUBMISSIONS 101 SEMINAR
Join us and jiu-jitsu phenom Ari Bolden of 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Victoria and Submissions 101 fame and learn top nogi grappling techniques. Take it to the cage, take it to the mats or take it to the streets. It's Ground Control to a whole new level. Prepare for three hours of hardcore rolling and the finer points for positional control and submissions using the top Jiu Jitsu techniques in MMA and sport grappling.

About Ari Bolden
Ari Bolden has become one of the most recognized jiu-jitsu figures on the web by breaking down Japanese, Brazilian and 10th Planet techniques in easy to understand and use videos through his site www.Submissions101.com.
1/12/11 11:04 PM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/13/11 6:41 AM
BenBJJ

TTT for 10th planet half pyjama jiu jitsu!!
1/13/11 7:50 AM
BenBJJ

Ttt for the legend of jujitsu!!!
1/13/11 9:42 AM
tjmitch
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*crickets*
1/13/11 1:00 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ phenom!
1/13/11 2:10 PM
faixa rua
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT you cawks!
1/13/11 2:42 PM
BenJay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one dares to speak about the phenom!
1/13/11 4:49 PM
faixa rua

MY GOD EDDIE YOU NOT EVEN WANT LOOK THIS THREAD!
1/14/11 11:56 AM
T-Ham
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Ari should be allowed to hand out belts at his moon. If he can fly the 10th planet flag why not let him promote students to blue shirt?
1/14/11 6:03 PM
BenBJJ

Phenom TTT!
1/15/11 12:28 AM
chew22
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Renato Laranja should dojo storm this seminar.
1/16/11 4:53 PM
joshjitsu

What a fraud..... Why about these idiots hosting his seminars?haha they could probably get Cyborg or Chris Breenan for the same price and you would actually get top level instruction instead of trying to pass this guy off. Phone Post
1/17/11 4:08 AM
shen
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not even with a ten foot pole.

1/17/11 5:01 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why such hate?
1/17/11 8:20 PM
BenBJJ

Ari is a fine ambassador for 10th planet 1/2 pyjama jiu jitsu.
1/18/11 12:07 AM
Tom Gavrilos

ArthurKnoqOut - why such hate?

There is ALOT.  All over the forum people hate on everything and every fighter haven't you noticed?  They critique the skills of the very Elite right down to the lowly most defenseless newbie to even type on a forum.  Its much more fun this way I suppose....it does fuels debate after all.  It goes on in every genre from fighting, to tv shows, and apparently even keyboard warrior Black Belts understand the art of hype and trash talk.  It reminds me a lot of Kosh…a lot of trash talking but very little productivity. <--- Look now Im doing it!! :D How many schools have they closed, seminars have they stopped, strong will people have they discouraged?...

You think Eddie Bravo is losing sleep? ha!, think Ari is going to stop teaching?, shit even Barvo who has crossed the line of being unpopular into fraud will continue on his path. 

Let me be the first to say there have been some good points made about Ari and other in the witch hunts on here.  A pattern does emerge…no matter how hard the guy tries to "do right" by the BJJ police it will never be enough for everyone.  Ari put on the white belt...he seeks out a Sauer BB in Keith Owen to train under...he deleted many videos people complained about. Now people question Keith and Sauer himself!?  Can’t affiliate, no expanding the message of BJJ on the internet, why?, because Ari is the catalyst?  He is making money now; he hardly was and now that there is some I’m the first to applaud the hard work he has put into Sub101.  Being a personal friend I am biased…I admit and understand that…so I think to myself..shit if Im watching Sub101 Im eatching Vinnt and Pedro and Keith teach! He WANTS the Masters themselves instruct in the videos more times than not now. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will ever be good enough for the haters.

There’s a handful of people who seem to have keen interest in "protecting" BJJ; I appluad that, the rest just LOVE the hate Ari or BQuick or anyone who does not fit their idea of how things should be bandwagon.  I’m also sorry to see that many of the great BJJ Champions do not get the pay or credit or seminar exposure they certainly deserve...but they (hates) think somehow Ari is at fault for this too.  That his influence is SO far reaching that it has watered down the entire sport down.

Sometimes I read the entire thread and have to laugh at some of the comments because frankly they are pretty damn comical and amusing. But I never loose track of just how much of a waste of time it might be for certain members.  I see people with 10,000+ posts that if they applied towards mat time or anything outside of spewing hate could be amazing at just about anything they put their mind to...they choose to be amazing at this I suppose. Kudos if that’s your thing.

Being I don't really post here I often stop and think to myself..I would love to know what they do for a living. Are they electricians, lawyers, cops waiters…if so what is their lineage…who did they study under. Under who now!?…I never heard of him!? No no no no no! unacceptable. How dare they teach another person how to wait tables!? How dare they practice law if they are not star lawyers!? Oh wait the people they teach love them and make huge gains?...they are exemplary teachers?...several have one prizes and medals....well I see holes and I still hate them and demand they have gone the predetermined route that we have decided they should take! Give me a fucking break already. Who the does anyone think they are to look down their nose at another human being?...

Its easier sitting behind keyboards and anonymous handles to throw rocks at someone whose name and face is clear out in the open. What a luxury it must me to hide in the shadows and have people gathering up ammo and dirt while you yourself of course remain squeaky clean.

This argument is one of my favorites:
“Ari makes money off his videos..Keith is a sell out..Pedro is a sell out” GOOD FOR ARI, GOOD FOR KEITH AND PEDRO!  Without Ari they get even less exposure than they deserve.   You should make money off what you do…especially you are great at it. Ari should make a lot more money but the internet sucks that way. If only haters could make a living off talking shit they could all have endless privates under Rickson. Oh wait?...there’s haters who say Rickson sucks; and they will hate on these new people who now train privates with him. And then their people will hate on them for their shit talking skills and techquique..after all they will now get rusty being that they post less and spend more time training.
Hate ONLY breeds more HATE.  I wouldn't say Im angry...I would say I am very amused.

But my true favorite:
Watching a thread where inevitable someone signs on here and asks "Who is Ari guy, Ive watched his videos"  and need to be "educated" on the matter.  The video views rack up...the hype grows…and all this "help" breeds more interest....it’s a funny thing the internet is.

Myself, Id rather have the time back I just spent writing this, but sometimes its worth putting your .02

To all the haters thank you and to all the people protecting the sport…I understand and I try my best to see your viewpoints.  I truly mean that.

Best Regards,

Tom

1/18/11 1:15 AM
shen
1049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^Aren't you Ari's business partner or something?

1/18/11 1:53 AM
Tom Gavrilos

Edited: 01/18/11 1:55 AM
shen - 

^^^Aren't you Ari's business partner or something?

I own Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gear. Last time I sold the stuff was 2 years ago at MMA Warehouse.  I make $0 from any relationship I have with Ari.  In fact I just spent a pretty penny to go visit him this month in Victoria, BC.  He was his usual upbeat self working hard on his new studios and much to your surprise VERY OPEN about having alot to learn in BJJ to even his newest students.  He knows its a journey and I wont get into ZUMA but Ari is truly better served with Keith.

It was nice having him promote the product while I was selling it but I also had Mayhem Swick Lytle Coleman Bas Eddie Bravo Fickett Quadros and several others wearing the product..  I also contribute to Sherdogs Pros Picks and was a Co Host of Tapouts Cage Side live.  I have interviewed several stars including Gracies. I am much more plugged into the MMA world than Ari ever was.  My only big sales came from MMA Warehouse when all was said and done if you must know.

Also you guys talk about represent your roots.  That was actually my idea behind the clothing line.  The only association Ari and I have together in any collaboration is that I own the domain/forum that Submissions101 posts on.  It’s not a large forum but I challenge you to find any negativity on it.  I simply won’t tolerate it.  Truly there is nothing like it on the net.  Its not big but Im proud of the maturity level.  No offense but you wouldn’t make it a day Shen lol

I know a certain amount about you as you are a large contributor to this forum and voice strong opinions against people I know.  I’ve been to Diogo’s and lived in Del Mar for a while actually. 
I find you to be a very intelligent person and also incredibly adept at being able to influence a large amount of people on here...as much as you hate to here this you and Ari are not alot alike in your ability to garner respect and the ear of those around you.  I think you simply feel entitled to judge Ari based on facts you have uncovered, your rank  and the rules of BJJ per se....though the facts about yourself are much harder to come by.  Lost in a plethora of posts it would take months to dig up your contradictions of which I have no doubt there are plenty.

Often your posts make me laugh the loudest I admit but I have 0 clue..I mean I am BEWILDERED completely at your goal and obsession with Ari.  Truly. I do believe him and AA buried the hatchet to an extent but you rage on even harder...it does perplex me as you are smart enough to know you are only helping his cause.  I know you are more intelligent than the idiots you pander to….yet you continue to entertain.  I cannot tell If you like to stimulate conversation, if your fueled by jealousy/hate, or if you just feel it is your job to out what you believe are "frauds"?  I also notice this "trolling" ability you have to point out and outdo them...Im curious if this spurs you on to be the loudest voice on the topic. I’m a very perceptive person but I have not more than a glimpse here.

Myself. I am a very REAL person. A respectful person. I don't hide from anyone.  I use no handle, my picture and info is out in the open, as you can see, and I am a student of martial arts not to mention from similar lineage to yours (Gracie Barra) if we are discussing the BJJ aspect of my MMA game. 

Honest answers even my email or PM would be kept private and greatly appreciated.  If anything just for my own curiosity...public...even better.  I have nothing to hide Shen...do you?

Best Regards,

Tom
1/18/11 4:40 AM
shen

Edited: 01/18/11 6:03 AM

They say timing is everything in life... I don't know if it's the time of night, this new Prozac prescription or because I've been drinking but believe it or not... I'm actually tearing a little as I type this. --"What's THAT about?" LOL. Holds it together, Shen.

Now, this ain't easy, but the fact is: I hate myself. --There I said it.

I guess I lash out at Ari because he is sorta what I can't be (if that makes any sense).

I always wanted to do Jiu Jitsu SOOO bad, traditional, Brazilian you name it. But due to acute fabric allergies, I couldn't. So I would spend HOURS watching clips on Youtube. And there he would be, with HUNDREDS of jiu jitsu techniques, showing them all and making it all look so damn easy.

And he has friends. I ain't got many friends.I guess people don't seem to like me for some reason. I'm cool with it and I get along fine without friends, but maybe it irks me that he is so popular.

And sure, he's a handsome man. There's that. I mean, I'm the furthest thing from gay, obviously, but you'd have to be dead not to notice he's looks like a Canadian movie star or something.

And he has the love of a woman and he's fierce and I'm all alone here, in the dark with my turtles and a bunch of medical bills and some booze and nothing else.

So that's it.

I can't believe I'm actually shaking as I write this post. Probably my last on this forum.Lol! But dammit, I can't hide behind the jokes anymore.

Tonight, I can't hold the blackness back.

I JUST WANT TO SAY to EVERYONE, EVERYONE on this forum... I am SO F-ING sorry about everything.

-Shen

Hell, my real name isn't "Shen" --even that was a lie!

P.S. In the interests of coming clean I should also mention that I am NOT currently dating Brooke Burke, like I posted last week.

Whew! That was a LOT... but it feels good to come clean.
1/18/11 8:10 AM
BenBJJ

I'm feeling ya 'Shen', or whoever the hell you are. BJJ is a journey and u just have to hang on for the ride.
1/18/11 9:11 AM
Tom Gavrilos

Edited: 01/18/11 9:27 AM

Not your best work but a fairly predictable response. I wonder how you would respond to my questions in person?..would you be so sarcastic...doubtful.  Have you ever been in a fight Shen…a REAL fight? Ah but this is not about bravado.  Forget being a greenie they should have a new color just for a badass like you.  Until then don’t worry I don’t look down my nose at you I know what a bad ass you are and fear you and your power of the intrawebs sir.  In fact Im emotional and shaking as well just typing to such a powerful internet God..suck it up Tom…continue on.

Sorry about the fabric but at least you know where to find the videos ; ) And of course for those who don't you are doing an excellent job of rehashing the topic and threads over and over pointing them in the right direction. Brilliant work!..for that Ari, Vinny, Eddie, Keith, Octavio, Professor Sauer and his affiliates plus all the other money grubbing sell outs owe you a debt of gratitude. Keep at it buddy you are really shielding the community from the videos which is your goal right!? Protection…much like a condom with holes poked in it I suppose.

Dare I say..I do dare..who knows we may have even met, shit I could have tripped on you and not even known it...thats the beauty and pitfall of anonymity I suppose. At least your famous on here…you can show the grandkids all your posts one day!

Later Shen you coy devil you...say hi to Brooke and the kids...

Also I looked for you at the last seminar but tough to see you in the crowd sir:

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?title=the-playa-haters-ball&videoId=24419

P.S. please don't hate on me for being able to post links...I know youve been here alot longer but you dont have the proper credentials....

1/18/11 9:42 AM
BenJay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom man, sorry. but that is a lot of words and very little substance.

The bottom line is that in every discipline, teachers need to be held to a higher standard than your average person.

F***, I don't even care if he makes money from all this. If he finds people happy (or dumb enough) to pay for his services, fair play.

BUT:

1) A person REPEATEDLY lying about his lineage (read: education) should not be a teacher.

2) A person who is only a student himself, should not be teaching.

Ari should not be teaching.
1/18/11 10:28 AM
Tom Gavrilos

BenJay - Tom man, sorry. but that is a lot of words and very little substance.

The bottom line is that in every discipline, teachers need to be held to a higher standard than your average person.

F***, I don't even care if he makes money from all this. If he finds people happy (or dumb enough) to pay for his services, fair play.

BUT:

1) A person REPEATEDLY lying about his lineage (read: education) should not be a teacher.

2) A person who is only a student himself, should not be teaching.

Ari should not be teaching.

I respect your opinion.  I obviously do no control Ari or anyone else.  I can defend him to an extend but that is all.Your points have been made clear by many members and I won't go into a debate about who is qualified to say who can teach in this world...I believe we have certain rights and having seen Ari's abilities, knowledge of the sport, and effective teaching  I do believe he very qualified to teach martial arts.

There are many people who do not want to go to ZUMA and it is their right to choose another school.  Ari hides nothing and proudly puts on his 4 stripe Blue Belt in BJJ when he teaches.  I will tell you myself he rolls as well as your typical Gracie Barra 4 stripe there is no question about that.  And his NoGi game is VERY underrated.  Furthermore he understands the 10th planet system in a very comprehensive manner. Many people have interest in that system...where do you propose they go?

Lastly his students, not just 1, have placed many times at tournaments.  Tournaments that include ZUMA students. There is nothing subjective about that.

Are these not valid arguments?

1/18/11 11:10 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally don't care about lineage or experience, I've seen a white belt with 6 months of training show me a move before that I liked and I've had and seen a black belt in BJJ (Mundials champ, etc) show me things that just simply I didn't get nor that I ever saw myself using (guard breaks for example). In terms of online, I just like to see as much stuff as I can, I guess...

I didn't know Ari, supposedly lies about his lineage and all that though :(

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.