UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo in the Denver Area?

1/13/11 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoWdA101
983 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can anyone recommend a good place to check out Judo in the Denver Metro Area? I currently train BJJ and some Kickboxing/boxing but remember training a small amount of Judo when I was younger and would really like to find a good place nearby to check it out.

Anyone?
1/13/11 8:38 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one I know is Denver Judo: http://denverjudo.com. One of the instructors Jim Carmer I know well. Jim and I were competitors when he lived in the Midwest. You will get good recommendations for other judokas in this area.
1/14/11 2:47 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is one just outside of Denver. It is called Northglen. Lee Sands, Lee Heitzman, both Hashimoto boys are all out of there. Plus, their sensei is a tough-ass, traditional japanese Judo coach-- not anything like the fake-want-to-be-japanese americans. he will beat you down if need be.
1/14/11 9:51 AM
Bently
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I reccomend Northglenn as well. It is easy to get to at the Northglenn rec center just off I25.

Ichi Otaka is truly as Josh describes him. His ne waza is excellent as well.

I used to go to Highland Hills as well, but do not know who is training or coaching there now.

Ben
1/14/11 11:58 AM
PoWdA101
983 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you very much for the info! It looks like I found where I would go! I actually know one of the instructors from Denver Judo from when I was very young. I remember he would be teaching the kids Judo in the backyard and I would watch and participate a little as well.

I was kind of hoping that guy was still in the game when I posted this but never expected to find him on that site!

Super cool and thanks guys!
1/14/11 12:04 PM
PoWdA101

Strange... Just noticed that I can probably hit this place with a rock from my office!

It is weird as when I Google map the address is shows it as "Denver Jiu Jitsu."

Very strange, maybe I will investigate at lunch.

It also looks like they offer a lunchtime class that is taught by none other than the guy I know which could mean a lot of awesomeness.
1/15/11 7:44 AM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep us posted. It is always good to get feedback from our recommendations. Either place you can't go wrong.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.