UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Saw Andy McKee AND Howie Simon Play Tonight-WOW!

1/14/11 6:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far, 2011 has been the year of the guitar....

Today was the next best thing to NAMM..
I drove out to Hollywood a few hours ago and saw Andy play at a CD signing at Barnes and Noble. He played Drifting, a Fleetwood Mac tune (Never Going Back Again- awesome), a new tune and an old tune. It was incredible. Talk about talent.

Then I drove down to the Whisky and saw the very amazing Howie Simon playing with Jeff Scott Soto. Howie tore it up. His playing is unreal. Pontus Norgren also came out and played a tune- that was crazy. I'm still amazed. And they played the Steel Dragon tune to close their set.

Andy and Howie both shred in their own special ways and I'll be seeing them both play again next week as well (Howie with Alcatrazz/ opening for Uli Jon Roth and Andy opening for Eric Johnson)- I can't wait...
1/17/11 8:09 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I cannot get into this Andy McKee stuff at all. I listen to solo acoustic stuff from time to time and enjoy the likes of Tommy Emmanuel, but this guys song writing is pretty weak imo once you get past the novelty.
1/19/11 10:55 AM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seeing McKee and EJ play live is definitely on my bucket list.
1/19/11 11:37 PM
Iron Man
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy is a great player and his style is fun to watch. But that fingerstyle guitar is not my cup of tea. I more into the style of Tommy Emmanuel, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkin, Buster Jones and Merle Travis. Check out the new guys like Joe Robinson, Brooks Robertson, Gareth Pearson, Adam Rafferty, Pete Huttlinger, Richard Smith and others.

I saw Howie with Alcatrazz a few years ago and he was amazing. He had the Yngwie licks down. I was really impressed.

I love EJ. He is the man.
1/20/11 10:21 AM
Rawbass

ttt
1/21/11 4:55 PM
Nostradumbass

Edited: 01/21/11 5:03 PM
Art of Motion
1/22/11 5:15 PM
Nostradumbass

BTW, Alcatrazz with Howie Simon rocked the other night. When it comes to shredding, look no further than this guy. He's funny, too- he makes silly faces and acts all goofy while he shreds the Rainbow and Alcatrazz tunes. Too bad the sound in the venue itself is so horrible.

I got to the venue and parked a few hours before the show started (mostly to catch happy hour down the street/ kill some time while the openers played) and Alcatrazz' sound check sounded incredible from the parking structure across the street from the theater with the side door open. I peeked in and watched them play for a minute. Even a few people just passing by were blown away by it.

Graham Bonnett still has some great vocals (he was really belting them out), but he must be nearing 100 years old. He looks like Jigsaw from Saw. Uli Jon Roth's band was awesome as well. They didn't start until 11:30, so that really sucked for a Thursday night. Sails of Charron rocked. Marc Boals sang and did a great job. I left before the end of the show and sure enough, the music sounded much better next to my car than it did in front of the stage. What a shame.

Glen Sobel was the drummer for the last three bands (Adrian Galysh, Alcatrazz and Uli Jon Roth)- between sound checks and performing, he must have been on stage for more than 5 hours. Triple duty.

I just opened up my wallet and realized/ remembered I had caught a few picks from the show... I hope my ears stop ringing by tomorrow and in time for EJ and Andy McKee...
3/10/11 6:39 PM
El Maquina

Saw Mckee a few years back and was amazed. I'd really like to see video of him playing Never Going Back Again. If you haven't already, check out For my Father by him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.