UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Pre-1989 Judoka who work from the Bottom/Guard?

1/25/11 7:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Issus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to train under Nishi. He is still in great shape to this day. His ground game is good, but a little over-rated. Compared to even many of the good Judo guys out there he is comparable, but not in the top echelon.

But don't get it wrong, I am glad I got to study under him and learnt alot. He is a good guy. Very respectful, and loud for a Japanese man. Always enjoyed his classes.

Wajyutsu for life
1/25/11 8:25 PM
Issus

nishi vs tiger mask in an exhibition match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QudiLn5hU
1/26/11 1:47 PM
ResuTudo

Edited: 01/26/11 4:39 PM
just curious, did he work a lot form the Guard? Does he prefer an Open or Half Guard? Recently he did a instructional segment for Budo-Ra videos on Shotei (palm strikes). What are his theories on Palm Strikes? How does he best utilize them?

Also, who trained Akira Shoji and Caol Uno?
1/26/11 7:49 PM
Issus

He didn't work a lot from the guard. He preferred getting to the top. When he did it was mostly Open on bottom. He would end up in half guard often on top and not worry about moving from there. But this is more due to the fact that he is crazy strong and could americana/kimura nearly anyone from there.

I'll be honest I mostly did grappling with him so I didn't get much in the way of striking from him. I worked Muay Thai with one of his instructors in the gym mostly.

They trained under trainers in the Wajyutsu Keisyukai network. As far as I know they didn't train directly under Nishi. The Nagasaki branch is actually pretty minor in the network compared to Tokyo HQ, A3, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.