UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Check raise considered poor "etiquette"?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/14/11 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are playing a cash game and you're up against someone you are friendly with, is it bad etiquette to check raise them?
1/14/11 3:51 PM
PoWdA101
1278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely not.

There should be no friends at the poker table if you are playing for any amount of money.

I once left a poker game after being told no check raising was allowed. It is a part of the game and if you are debating whether or not to check raise you might as well ask yourself if you are playing to win or just have fun.

1/14/11 10:07 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not anymore.

It was back in the ancient days of poker though.
1/14/11 11:20 PM
wreckker
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

i remeber old timers fellow props getting piussed when i did it

It is a essential part of the game,

soft play is bad for the integrity of the game
1/15/11 10:55 AM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - If you are playing a cash game and you're up against someone you are friendly with, is it bad etiquette to check raise them?

If you are playing differently against certain people just because they are your "friends" then you are cheating IMO.
1/15/11 11:25 AM
andre
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VectorWega - 
andre - If you are playing a cash game and you're up against someone you are friendly with, is it bad etiquette to check raise them?

If you are playing differently against certain people just because they are your "friends" then you are cheating IMO.

I check-raise all the time, and against everyone, but one of the guys sort of implied it was rude to do it to a friend , hence this thread.
1/15/11 6:05 PM
Spuds Buckley
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poker is a game of deception, anyone still clinging to that old belief should not play poker
1/16/11 2:59 AM
flemsnopes

If he's having fun spewing money, and it makes him leave the game, then you might not want to.
1/16/11 10:48 PM
andre

Nah, this guy is a great player. I think he was just trying to get me to stop doing it because he fell for it several times.
1/17/11 12:47 AM
stillmatic
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you soft play each other, you're basically colluding against everyone else. If you're not check-raising because you're playing against a friend, you're soft playing. Most of the time it's not a huge deal in a live game as most people are pretty lax about it, but really it's not right to do and not good for the game.

Still though, this kind of stuff happens all the time. It's no different than 2 friends checking a hand down when they're the only players in the hand.
1/17/11 12:22 PM
joe canada
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flemsnopes - If he's having fun spewing money, and it makes him leave the game, then you might not want to.

This is the only valid reason not to check-raise.

1/19/11 6:40 PM
VectorWega

Check raise isn't nice, and only bad people do it.
1/19/11 6:45 PM
andre

VectorWega - Check raise isn't nice, and only bad people do it.

I'll never do it again.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.