UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Larry Bird's quadruple double

1/15/11 3:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kamran
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People forget what a player this guy was

Bird in no mood to break record
AP
19 February 1985

Larry Bird was one steal away from National Basketball Association history and was too tired to care.

Bird had 30 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists and nine steals and Boston had a 22-point lead after the third quarter of Monday night's 110-94 victory over the Utah Jazz. But after playing 42 minutes the day before in a loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, Bird was in no mood for record-setting.

One more steal would have given him the first regulation "quadruple double" _ double figures in four categories _ in NBA history. Bird was told he had a chance for the record, but he chose not to play in the fourth period.

"I already did enough," Bird said. "If it had been close, I'd have been in there trying, but when you're ahead by 30 points, what do you have to prove?"
1/15/11 5:15 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Admiral is the last player to record one, all the way back in Feb of 1994. He had 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 10 blocks in 43 mins.

And Nate Thurmond got the first one in 74 and so that article is a little off.
1/16/11 7:21 AM
EKPOGI
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my fave Bird game
1/16/11 7:30 AM
EKPOGI
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^clutch,triple double,47pts,60%shooting,left handed baskets all-game
1/16/11 11:15 AM
dangerboy12
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull fucking shit on this one.

One game where Larry had set some Celtics scoring record, the dude was in there jacking up threes late in the game where they were way ahead, and celebrated like he actually won something when he did.

Larry is the most over rated player ever. EVER.
1/16/11 11:51 AM
kanotoa
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winning 3 titles and saving the NBA gets you remembered favorably. Like Reggie Miller he hit shots when they counted (against the Knicks for Reggie).
1/16/11 11:53 AM
Kamran
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Larry is the most over rated player ever. EVER."

What is your point of reference for greatness? Michael? Magic?

They all agree that he was one of the best all time.

Im not the biggest larry bird fan but I recognize greatness and he has it (by whatever indicator you want to use to measure greatness)
1/16/11 12:04 PM
dangerboy12
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was great no doubt, but not top 15 all time IMO.
1/16/11 12:15 PM
Kamran

fair enough. lets see your top 15, I want to see who comes before bird.

1/16/11 12:27 PM
dangerboy12

I'll list them, but most won't agree. I watched Bird, he was on truly great teams and was a great player, I just don't think he was one of the best ever as an individual.

My top 15, in no particular order

Kareem

Wilt

Russel

Shaq

Duncan

Moses Malone

Olajuwon

Jordan

Magic

Oscar

Ok he is top 15 but not top 10
1/16/11 12:27 PM
kanotoa
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think maybe individually he wasn't the best player but on a team game he fit in great and was an integral part of a team that won 3 titles in an era with other strong teams.
1/16/11 12:35 PM
dangerboy12

Yeah he was a great team player on a great team, but I don't think there was much parity in the NBA during his time. I remember watching him back in the day and just being pissed he was on such a great team and everybody gave him so much of the credit. I was a MJ fan and a Hawks fan. Then I was a Pistons fan.

Basically I hated the Celtics, but my god they were good.
1/16/11 12:49 PM
Kamran

" just being pissed he was on such a great team and everybody gave him so much of the credit."

His teammates were actually his biggest fans, every single one of them considers Bird one of the best ever.

I will acknowledge that white people (including announcers) were a little too enamored with him though.
1/16/11 12:49 PM
Kamran

dangerboy12 -  I'll list them, but most won't agree. I watched Bird, he was on truly great teams and was a great player, I just don't think he was one of the best ever as an individual.

My top 15, in no particular order

Kareem

Wilt

Russel

Shaq

Duncan

Moses Malone

Olajuwon

Jordan

Magic

Oscar

Ok he is top 15 but not top 10<br type="_moz" />

Ill take top fifteen

1/16/11 12:59 PM
dangerboy12

yeah I mean no doubt he was an all time great, but too many people think he is on the same level as guys like MJ and Magic and better than guys like Duncan and Shaq.
1/16/11 1:04 PM
Kamran

well he's better than shaq. Shaq was just physically dominant, thats it.

If you want to talk overrated, thats shaq, a big dumb dunking machine.
1/16/11 1:33 PM
grafzep
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

[

Why? Because he couldn't jump high?
1/16/11 2:55 PM
dangerboy12

Kamran - well he's better than shaq. Shaq was just physically dominant, thats it.

No way Bird was better than Shaq. More skilled, maybe, but not better. Shaq could have been put on the worst team in his prime and would have still been a threat to win titles. Remember, the Lakers were pure shit the couple of years before Shaq got there. He comes and they were contenders immediately.
He leaves Orlando and they become pure shit. Then he leaves the Lakers and they are mediocre barely making the playoffs and his new team the Heat win the title.

Bird couldn't have made bad teams instant contenders they Shaq could. Shaq was basically an "I Win" button there for about 6 or 7 years.

People don't like what Shaq was, but Shaq was the best player in the league for a good while.

1/16/11 2:58 PM
dangerboy12

grafzep - [

Why? Because he couldn't jump high?

Because his skill set was limited and his success was dependent on being surrounded by other hall of famers.

1/16/11 4:31 PM
Kamran

" Because his skill set was limited and his success was dependent on being surrounded by other hall of famers."

Which skill? passing? rebounding? court vision? shooting?
The only thing Bird lacked was jumping ability and speed, the miracle is he was still able to dominate.

and who hasnt been surrounded by hall of famers? Magic was surrounded by hall of famers, are you questioning his greatness on that basis?

If you want to talk about limited skill set and being surrounded by future hall of famers (kobe, wade, horry etc) then its shaq by a mile
1/16/11 5:46 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kamran - well he's better than shaq. Shaq was just physically dominant, thats it.

I don't know that you could get any of the greats who played against him to agree with that statement. He got away with a lot of offensive fouls, but the guy didn't get to the level him did without having some skillz.
1/16/11 6:04 PM
dangerboy12

Shaq wasn't nearly as skilled as bird, but he was better than Bird.
1/16/11 6:13 PM
Kamran

more skilled = better

What does shaq have that bird doesnt have?

size and strength
1/16/11 7:32 PM
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU

Best Larry bird highlight reel.
1/16/11 7:36 PM
dangerboy12

more skilled does not = better. Better = better.

That's like saying a souped up ricer that runs a 12.0 in the quarter is better than a 70's muscle car that can run an 11.5 stock.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.