UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Getting over fear..

1/16/11 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I injured my ankle badly about 6 months ago getting thrown and having my foot stick in the mat. Popped 3 times really loud and took for ever to heal.

Finally starting to do judo again but every time I go against someone I know who can throw me I get really gun shy and scared. I keep going but its a sinking feeling. I start thinking about work and not wanting to miss training by getting hurt.

Any of you deal with something like this after an injury? Thoughts on getting rid of it.
1/16/11 11:40 PM
Missing Glove Tape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long since you've done ukemi regularly? For me, when I first started judo, and subsequently whenever I was away for extended periods the first few years, I was sometimes plagued by that fearful feeling the first time back on the mat drilling throws and doing randori. Unless we're both a pair of giant pussies I'd say it's natural. And, I've found that going back to the basics of ukemi first, then just taking a ton of static throws usually does the trick as far as removing the fear again so that your mind is free for randori.

Usually takes a few practices, but once you start going on the big rides again you quickly loosen up and stop thinking about the what ifs. You can also go light in randori and 'fly' for decent attempts by your partner(s) until you get your confidence back.
1/17/11 11:10 AM
judo man

Injuries are just as damaging psychologically as they are physically. Just make sure you've down a proper rehabilitation program. Ligaments are still weak even after you've recovered from injury. Use a ankle brace and do randori lightly.
1/17/11 7:51 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would first try and correct what caused my foot to stick in the mat. Then do what judo man said. Mat issue? Poor weight distribution? Poor throwing technnique ( throw at any cost that could injure uke)? All of us are a little hesitant coming back from a major injury. Go easy until you get your confidence back. Judo is life long learning. No need to push it. I am sure there are some old guys you can do light randori with.
1/17/11 11:34 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadly there are very few guys to randori with as my school is a bjj school that does almost no stand up. Generally I have some wrestlers who do bjj and my former judo sensei when he shows up to bjj. Sensei is the guy that I was doing randori with when I got injured. He was working on cross grip throws since they are legal in bjj and I was the only guy that could take a good throw.

As far as what caused the injury, we discussed it we think it was the fact that there wasn't quite enough lift in the throw to clear my feet. I was almost clear but my toes were dragging on the one that injured me. It basically put me in a toe hold and popped 3 times loud enough that every one thought I broke a bone.
1/17/11 11:35 PM
Judo Scott

thanks for the advice :)
1/18/11 3:48 AM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo Scott - thanks for the advice :)

X2. It's been almost 5 months since I broke my arm and have been wondering about the same things. Good advice on this board.
1/18/11 5:40 AM
Bently

Do you have sticky mats? Sounds odd, but not impossible.

Also, cross grip throws are legal in judo,BTW.

Ben
1/18/11 7:53 AM
Judo Scott

Bently - Do you have sticky mats? Sounds odd, but not impossible.

Ben

Yea I know but you have to throw quickly, 5 seconds I think?, after you get he grip. So my sensei had never really focused on them before.
1/18/11 6:57 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad to say he shouldn't be doing throws he doesn't know how to do properly. There are only a few throws from x cross grip that are easy to demonstrate and applicable for BJJ. sumi gaeshi is one. What was the throw? Still sorry to hear about the injury, totally unnecessary.
1/18/11 11:05 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's my advice:

If you try to train afraid of injury, i think you run a very high risk of getting injured because you will react differently (maybe neglect a breakfall or something out of fear for your foot. I think it's worth spending some time before you do any training session getting your head right and trying to rid yourself of the fear, which for me meant talking myself up (silently, so as not to appear deranged) before I rolled with anyone tough. If you repeat something to yourself long enough, you will start to believe it one way or another, and each successive randori without hurting it again will be more and more proof to yourself that you don't need to be afraid.

Here's my FRAT:

I dont know shit about judo, but I wrenched my neck really badly grappling with a friend when I was about 19 (im 25 now). He tried to put me a triangle choke and i tried to get out of it by picking him up and slamming (neither of us knew anything about grappling), I had problems with it for yeas afterwards.

I started to feel normal again after I quit lifting weights and spent a few month doing a ton of stretching and rolling around on my neck in a variety of ways. I spent a lot of time researching ways to my my neck pliable and strong and wound up with a weird mix of bodyflow stuff, neck bridging, and breakdancing moves (with no rhythm or grace, just rolling around on my neck/head in different ways).

It was enormously beneficial for me, my neck became very strong and flexible (if you see me from the neck up I look like I weigh about 20 mores than I actually do), but I was always fearful about injuring it. When i started wrestling, it became a big problem for me because I would always shy away from any pressure on my neck (which, in one way or another, is a huge and basic part of wrestling); despite my neck being FAR stronger and more pliable than it had ever been previously, I was still afraid of hurting it again. I eventually got past it, but it's hard at first.

I found it doubly tough trying to start wrestling (i was 20) with people who had already spent years learning how, the first time I wrestled someone who knew what they were doing I felt like somebody tossed me a blender, then turned it on;I had no idea what the fuck just happened, but had somehow gotten tossed on my head. I was terrified my neck would get messed up again (at least at first), but it went away in time.
1/19/11 6:16 AM
Bently

Judo Scott - 
Bently - Do you have sticky mats? Sounds odd, but not impossible.

Ben

Yea I know but you have to throw quickly, 5 seconds I think?, after you get he grip. So my sensei had never really focused on them before.

5 seconds is an eternity in a shiai. Correct, 5 seconds to attack using cross grips.

Ben
1/19/11 6:25 AM
Bently

judoblackbelt - Sad to say he shouldn't be doing throws he doesn't know how to do properly. There are only a few throws from x cross grip that are easy to demonstrate and applicable for BJJ. sumi gaeshi is one. What was the throw? Still sorry to hear about the injury, totally unnecessary.

I agree. Doing x grip throws in that sort of situation is potentially damaging to guys who don't know ukemi very well.

Ben
1/19/11 7:45 AM
Judo Scott

judoblackbelt - Sad to say he shouldn't be doing throws he doesn't know how to do properly. There are only a few throws from x cross grip that are easy to demonstrate and applicable for BJJ. sumi gaeshi is one. What was the throw? Still sorry to hear about the injury, totally unnecessary.

It was something weird. Similiar to a seionage with weird grips across my body on my lapel. He set it up with a foot attack like sasai. Honestly it was a really aggressive attack and I wasn't 100% sure exactly what was going on. He had done it something like 3 times in a row to me without incident though other than it was a really hard throw to take. lol..

It sucked but shit happens sometimes.
1/19/11 5:45 PM
judoblackbelt

It helps when you(uke) knows what the throw is and how to react to it. So you seemed unfamilar with it to begin with. Sometimes tori does a strange grip or movement or combination but still should make sure he doesn't injure you in a demo throw. Judo has this element and we do our best to avoid it but it does happen.
1/20/11 9:21 AM
Judo Scott

thanks again!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.