UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> My ROI for SnGs

1/18/11 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

89%.

The sample size is much too small, though. Much, much too small.

I need to avoid big tourneys online, unless I can satellite into them. Ill stick to live tourneys and live cash, and only play SnGs around the $16 level online.
1/18/11 9:29 PM
cadeswallows
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok
1/18/11 9:37 PM
cadeswallows
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in all seriousness, arent sngs just about unbeatable. i was reading (i know shocker) on 2 plus 2 most people quit em long ago, cuz u can make more money in cash games.

supposedly the rake is high, and the edge is really small. i guess theres mathematical formulas to tell u when to push or when to fold.

gl. but it seems that the peeps makin consistent money are 20 tablin 50, 100, 200 and there winnin a couple pt bb/100 plus rakeback.
1/18/11 10:00 PM
andre
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really use them just for practice because I want to focus on live tournaments. Live cash is a steadily profitable for me and Ive been trying to figure out how to approach the online thing. I made the mistake of playing too many mid and high stakes tourneys online, but that is a tough way to get started online.

I made the thread because I think I figured out a relatively painless way for me to play online without too many big swings. That's been an ongoing problem for me. The ROI thing was kind tongue in cheek because it only represents 30-something games. I think you need 10,000 to know your "true" ROI.
1/19/11 12:16 AM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

playing SNGs could pay dividends when you actually final table a tournament.  However, as pointed out, they aren't really that profitable because there are standard plays that are easy to make...and it doesn't necessarily take great poker skill to make them.
1/19/11 1:10 AM
cadeswallows

Edited: 01/19/11 1:13 AM
who isnt trying to figure out the online thing. even peeps that are winnin still have to study, make adjustments, and theyve seen there winrates drop.

now u have to work twice as hard, for half the profit.

sngs are great for practice, i just think its hard to make any real money at em.

i get stats on players from pokertableratings and players 1 year ago that were winners are now losing players. also, stars started these ridiculus 20-50 bb tables which REALLY hurt fullstackers. cuz the weaker players gravitate to the higher blinds and shorter stack size. not the tiny blinds and deep staks and i really only mean 100 bb. these tables generate a ton of rake for stars and the pots are smaller, so these games are tuff to beat also.

enuff of my whining, if i could get rakeback, i would play at full tilt in a heartbeat. (softer games and no shortstackers.)

gl andre, with the crappy economy and uigea not getting lifted, its gonna be tuff.
1/19/11 2:14 AM
andre

Thanks so much, Cade. I dont even enjoy online poker that much, but I have to admit it is the toughest environment and the best possible training for live play. I dont think live poker has improved nearly as much as online, so Ill take my online play as educational for my live play. Good luck to you, as well, man!

Vector,

I find that SnGs still have a lot of players who simply dont get basic SnG strategy. They risk their stacks early, when blinds are worth nothing, and seem to play it more like a MTT. To me, they are all about patience and playing your big hands for all they're worth. I only playing drawing hands very, very early, and only if I can see a flop cheaply.
1/19/11 11:09 PM
mpthief
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for SnG's just look at the leaderboards on sharkscope.

the top earners are only getting an ROI of 10%
1/20/11 2:06 AM
andre

mpthief,

I think that's a bit misleading because the top guys are probably playing tons of tables at the same time, so it's super profitable despite the "low" ROI. Basically, I think breaking even would be very profitable given the number of tables they're probably playing.

I can play 3 tables well, maybe 4 at the same time. More than that and Im lost. lol

1/20/11 2:09 AM
andre

Username Games Played Av. Profit Av. Stake Av. ROI Total Profit Form Ability /100 Network Filter  
Sbux Warrior           Reset on ‘24-Dec-10 16:58 (PST)’ 31 $11   $20   71% $350   Hot 81 PokerStars SNG Only x
1/20/11 2:10 AM
andre

Those are my results since I reset and started playing SnGs primarily.
1/20/11 2:12 AM
andre

Sbux Warrior           Reset on ‘24-Dec-10 16:58 (PST)’ 45 -$14   $34   18% -$644   Hot 68 PokerStars   x
1/20/11 2:12 AM
andre

2nd is my results with MTTs included. :(

Ill save those for live games from now on (except for when I satellite).
1/20/11 8:08 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your stats are completely pointless because your sample size is so small.  If people are making a 10% ROI, they have to multi-table 8 to 10 SNGs to make $20 an hour (at the $20 stake).  Even at the $20 level it looks like it takes forever to fill a game on FullTilt.  Go up to $100+ and games are pretty dead, and full of pros.  It's not like cash games where there are tons of games going well into the high stakes.

1/21/11 12:55 AM
andre

Vector, I know...I just brought it up because there was so much discussion about my ROI on the thread where I blew up. My point was just that ROI isnt a good indicator unless you are talking about 10,000 games because all it takes is a good run and your ROI is totally bloated. MTTs are probably the hardest to keep a positive ROI, although its through the roof right after a big win, obviously.
1/21/11 10:12 AM
cadeswallows

sngs r dead. dead. dead.
1/21/11 10:13 AM
cadeswallows

which thread does it talk about u blowin up??
1/21/11 10:53 AM
andre

Cade, I deleted it. It was on the OG.
3/16/11 3:31 PM
andre

itsnotballet           Reset on ‘24-Dec-10 16:56 (PST)’ 73 $20   $56   9% $1,480   - 87 FullTilt SNG Only x
3/18/11 11:22 AM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know, maybe you guys are right about them being dead.

I like to play the double or nothing ones (where you just have to place it the top half to double your money), but ofcourse those often end up taking a lot more time than they are worth due to everyone wanting to limp their way into the final half...which Im just as guilty of as the next person.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.