UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Help me pick a post.

1/18/11 9:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nagster5
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am going to pick a post in the next few weeks, and I wanted to solicit some input from guys who have been in.

If you could pick any post based purely on the quality of MMA/BJJ training, civilian or military, where would you go? I don't know what will be available when they get to my OML slot, but I want to see what's available out there. So far the best bet seems to be Ft. Meade for the proximity to Lloyd Irvin's.

Thanks in advance.
1/21/11 7:18 PM
ChinoV
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I've only been stationed at Ft. Bliss, and Hawaii. I think Hawaii has solid BJJ & MMA training. There is a lot of BJJ school, and BJJ blackbelts. There is some some solid MMA school. If your interested in fighting, I think Hawaii would be good place for amatuer fighting cause there is shows all the time (don't know your background).

Lloyd Irvins school would be great choice.
1/21/11 7:57 PM
Nagster5
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got my list of available slots for my branch. Unfortunatly, Meade and Hawaii are no-shows. Choices are Shariki Japan, hiedelberg, hood, bragg, sill, lewis, and bliss.

I'm looking to get my first amatuer fight befroe I report to BLOC later this year.
1/23/11 1:35 PM
ChinoV
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ft. Bragg- They always have a solid combatives team, so I know that would be a great place for training. They've produce some fighters that have placed 1st in the combatives championship. Hope you like jumping out of planes?

Ft. Hood- Hood won the combatives championship in 2010 over Riley (close on points). Hood has some solid places off post like Grappler's lair, and Fighter forge has done good.

Ft. Bliss- It was a good place for me to get started in MMA. I was training with DJ Blackwell (Relson Gracie Brown Belt), and Bushido. The instructor are very knowledgable, and it was a great place to train for me. The combatives school house was huge, and it was fun when I was there.

Ft. Sill- They have a nice combatives school house from what I heard?

Don't know anything about the other places.
1/23/11 2:12 PM
Nagster5

thanks chino, that's extremely helpful.
2/2/11 9:29 PM
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ft. Sill has 180lb all army champ, he trains UFC. However, besides him and another purple belt the training seem scarce and unpredictable. Lovatos is just up in OKC, but odds are you will only be able to get there on saturdays when the schedule can change. I'm headed to bliss but cant say much now. Also, Lawton OK is no fun. Phone Post
2/2/11 9:36 PM
Nagster5

Yeah my boy just got done with sill and said it was terrible. I'm going there for BLOC. I pick tomorrow, and I'm hoping for either Bragg or Lewis.
2/3/11 11:02 AM
kryptonjitsu

I was at Lewis for 4 years. Its a great post. There is plenty of MMA and BJJ action in and around that area.
2/3/11 11:14 PM
Nagster5

Unfortunately no one stuck to the mock posting we did, so Lewis and Bragg were gone, but I snagged Hood. Looks like a few really good schools in Austin. Thanks for the help guys.
2/6/11 5:20 PM
ChinoV

Goodluck, Ft. Hood has some good places around the area. Grapplers lairs, Fighter's Forge (not finding there website anymore?), and there is schools in Austin like Phil Cardella (http://gracieaustin.com/). The Ft. Hood combatives team won the championships, so I they got to have a solid program overthere, 3rd corps I believe?

Goodluck to you!
2/16/11 10:51 PM
TheeSenator

Nagster, I believe Tim Kennedy trains in Austin. Look him up. Phone Post
3/13/11 10:08 PM
amadeus

I can tell you, you don't want Ft. Stewart... Fucking BJJ/MMA desert here! :-(
10/11/11 9:15 PM
the_white_belt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can get Atlanta, Alliance is a monster school. I train there for two months and there wasn't a day I didn't feel about to pass out. Plus Alliance as a whole win almost everything on the highest level. Phone Post
10/11/11 9:16 PM
the_white_belt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amadeus - I can tell you, you don't want Ft. Stewart... Fucking BJJ/MMA desert here! :-(
Hunter army airfield right up the road has a few nice places. Phone Post
10/31/11 12:38 AM
manzuri
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was in dc I chose capital city mma over Lloyd irving. My friend trained at lloyds place and from what he said, its more commercial, the classes were packed, and you don't really get good training unless you're on the competition team. Phone Post
11/9/11 11:37 PM
Nagster5

New "problem" if you can call it that. Randomly got switched to K-town Germany. Any advice?
11/11/11 4:17 AM
TheeSenator

Nagster5 - New "problem" if you can call it that. Randomly got switched to K-town Germany. Any advice?

pick up a copy of the German Rosetta Stone?

For real, I dunno dude. I have some friends there, i'll ask.
1/1/12 7:38 PM
gnomejeebus

Nagster5 - New "problem" if you can call it that. Randomly got switched to K-town Germany. Any advice?
You will love germany Phone Post
1/7/12 3:52 PM
DevilDawg
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hawaii - Tons of top level talent teaching, and tons of other activities.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.