UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Shore fishing Florida

1/18/11 11:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mofugra
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im heading out to do some shore fishing with a coworker. Were going fishing on the Atlantic coast. He said we were going for sharks. Anyone have any experience or help with different kinds rigs?
1/19/11 4:27 PM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shark fishing is illegal from shore on most of florida. you can prolly get away with it with no swimmers/surfers present. even from a pier you will more than likely need somebody to take your bait out and drop it off, like a kayak or boat. bluefish, mullet and rays are all good baits. for rigs, i would use a conventional reel in the 30-50 class with line to match. long ( min 3 foot) cable leader crimped to 10/0 hooks or so will work. a fighting harness is a must for bigger fish, makes it so much easier. where on the atlantic side are you going? ive caught some large hammerhead (8footers) on the gulf side of florida.
1/19/11 7:36 PM
mofugra
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think were going out by Titusville. Im not really sure though. It is going to be my first time shore fishing so Im just going to follow what he does. He did say that we were going to use some frozen mullets with a 3 foot leader. He did say something about a kayak, but to be honest after hearing shark fishing I was day dreaming about catching Jaws. And didnt really pay much attention to what else he was saying.
1/20/11 4:52 PM
alvo69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally perfer to throw topwater baits for cudas, but the 2 -3 foots sharks will blast them once in a while. I ALWAYS use a sevenstrand  leader.  Last year I had a 6 footer follow all the way in- it turned away 3 feet from me.........................  :-)   I wade a lot............. (the damn jelly fish concern me far more.)
1/23/11 12:38 AM
Byrd

well did you catch anything? pics?
1/24/11 2:11 AM
mofugra

It got canceled for this week. Work picked up and they offered some overtime and I had to take it. Going to try to head out Tuesday.
2/4/11 7:57 PM
Byrd

well are you ever going to go? im heading out on the 19th for some deep jigging. looking for grouper, snapper and jacks. maybe head out next month once the weather warms up some more for some tuna and last minute wahoo.
2/8/11 2:49 PM
mofugra

I havnt gotten to the coast since last time. But hit the Indian River and Banana River. Pretty much just pulled off 528 and fished off there. Caught a ton of cats and a few trout and some fish I dont know what they are. But nothing to wright home about.
3/8/11 10:18 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad.....I saw video of 1000s of sharks right up to the breakers.
7/13/11 10:56 AM
Phil Cardella
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would suggest fishing near an inlet, I fish for sharks off the atlantic coast from time to time & we catch em. Use wire leaders... I caught Mahi and sailfish off shore.
7/16/11 12:51 PM
Byrd

ive been lucky with my military bases!

we got a boat scheduled for next satuyday, but, there is a typhoon on the way.... again.
1/23/12 12:31 PM
bigconk74fe

mofugra - I havnt gotten to the coast since last time. But hit the Indian River and Banana River. Pretty much just pulled off 528 and fished off there. Caught a ton of cats and a few trout and some fish I dont know what they are. But nothing to wright home about.

dude u wanna catch some fish? im from the titusville area and fished there my whole life. im sure ur familier with playalinda beach? well go there right b4 sunrise tell the person at the booth that u want an outback pass its like 2 bucks. after that go to the very last beach. walk about 2.5 miles and you will see an old shipwreck about 10 meter offshore (if low tide). fish at and around the wreck and i guarrentee ull hook up with all kinds of fish. tips make sure u wear shoes (no sandles or bearfoot) back light, carry a few large trash bags, take a bucket there but stash it behind the dunes when u leave so u wont have to carry it next time. and possible a change of shorts and underwear (u dont want to walk back wet) if u have any questions just ask,
7/10/13 7:32 PM
jdsga
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I shark fish from the shore in florida all the time. A heavy wire leader with bonita as bait. Early in the morning and late evening or night is the best time. In n. carolina its illegal to shark fish at all, which is super gay.
12/5/13 11:16 PM
Fights
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/13 11:17 PM
Used to do it all the time when I was younger (FL Native), haven't done it in a few years but things have changed. Unless the municipality in question has a specific ordnance against shark fishing with some sort of triggering qualifier (usually chumming), its not illegal. Here's the FWC rules. <br /><br />http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sharks/<br <br /><br />I'm actually in support of most of that. I remember when they were pretty much unregulated, people would fish them with some pretty asinine gear. You're limited to 1 a day now bag limit, size limit, etc. Its become really popular with the advent of the internet and people learning of the idea that you can 'catch sharks from shore', it's become like an adventure thing. The beach where I live, I see them out all the time. (first post on a MMA forum is about sharks! And some fucked up HTML thing just happened!)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.