UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Finally Shot Some MMA

1/19/11 7:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paul Benjamin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/11 7:57 AM

It's been a while, but I shot some shooto for that other site with the forums...

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/event/Pictures-Shooto-Shootors-Legacy-1-29483

Any abuse, comments or questions let me know...

1/21/11 2:23 PM
CombatCaptured

Edited: 01/21/11 2:26 PM
Thanks for posting, it's been rather quite in here.

And what makes it even better are the great shots.

I really liked the sequence with Takuya Ogura vs. Satoshi Kogure where Satoshi's legs buckled and Takuya went in for the kill, with the ref following in to stop it.

Also love the 1st shot of Daisuke Sugie where he is leaning on the corner ropes.

As I'm too lazy to check the "camera gear" thread and no exif data in the images, what do you shoot with?   
1/21/11 2:28 PM
CombatCaptured

And if you have any ring girls add them to the ring girl thread!!
1/22/11 12:09 AM
Paul Benjamin

I was working with a pair of D700s, one in hand one set up as a remote (see the reverse angle pictures), if I were to do this properly I would want at least one more to avoid having to change glass). Lenses wise I worked with a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 24-70mm f/2.8, on the remote I had 50mm.

I also shot a decent chunk of the evening with the 17-55mm f/2.8. Now this is a DX lens which means it doesn't create a large enough image circle to fully cover a full frame sensor, especially at the wide end, or when stopped down. However it has one key advantage over the 24-70 which is that it is quite a bit wider which helps get everything in when things happen right on top of you.

I shot RAW + JPG as we were providing PbP pictures. I think next time we will shoot tethered instead.

I'll be honest and say I hate shooting MMA, it's both mind numbiningly easy to be "good" and ridiculously hard to be "great" or to differentiate yourself.

Perhaps I just don't "get it"
1/22/11 12:33 PM
Sportmaster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul, show some of the pictures you mentioned that were taken with the 17-55mm f/2.8 and D700.
1/23/11 6:24 AM
Paul Benjamin

Edited: 01/23/11 8:32 AM
These all were, pretty sure I wouldn't have got the shot framed the same way with a 24mm wide end...

1/29/11 9:32 PM
cluster
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nooooo.....

Wait two months and get the D800.

<-- hoping the 5DIII actually has the autofocus mechanism from the 7D. But won't buy one anyway.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.