UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Vitor Belfort leaves Shawn Tompkins

1/19/11 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.fightopinion.com/2011/01/19/shawn-tompkins-vitor-belfort/ 

" Now, onto what Shawn Tompkins said to Mauro Ranallo on The Fight Show (January 18th edition):

MAURO RANALLO: “What about Vitor Belfort? I know that you were helping him prepare for his fight against Anderson Silva. Now, he’s at Xtreme Couture, your former home base, talk of him recruiting Mike Tyson to help him prepare for Anderson Silva. What is your relationship with Belfort and why won’t you be in his corner?”

SHAWN TOMPKINS: “Well, you know, Vitor has done this before. Vitor sometimes, he gets a little clouded in his head. It’s not that he brought in Mike Tyson or anything like that. Vitor just wanders, you know, and he goes where, you know, what’s happening, what’s famous, what’s popular and he’ll go over there and Mike Tyson isn’t teaching him anything. Neither is the other eight gyms that he’s training at. Just because he’s over at Couture’s and not with me doesn’t mean he’s with Couture’s. Vitor isn’t loyal to anybody. We’ve seen it before.”

MAURO RANALLO: “I do sense some acrimony. Are you then not on good terms with Vitor right now?”

SHAWN TOMPKINS: “I hope for the best for him, but you know for a guy who told me about respect, loyalty, and God and all this stuff for so many years, he sure did prove the opposite. So, we’ll see. Best of luck to him. Best of luck to Anderson, as well.”

"
1/19/11 10:39 AM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/11 10:40 AM
not a fan of Tompkins personally, but this can't be good so close to 126
1/19/11 10:43 AM
ThreadRuiner
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shit..
1/19/11 10:44 AM
TheGARV
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAHQ, Underwear Model
 A lot of trainers require absolute loyalty.  Sometimes it's better for fighters to go to different places, but the trainers see that as an insult.
1/19/11 10:46 AM
LucrativeMath
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Best of luck to Anderson, as well.”

lol
1/19/11 10:48 AM
DamnSevern

Edited: 01/19/11 10:58 AM
 http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/belk.gif

still hoping for the best

watching Vitor run through Wandy was a pivotal moment in my mma fandom. 
1/19/11 10:52 AM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nighty night Vitor...He's going to get Franklin'd
1/19/11 10:53 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

This is the TRUE meaning of Mental Midget. The guy bounces from every camp as soon as he loses or has any doubt about himself.
1/19/11 10:55 AM
Granpa
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGARV -  A lot of trainers require absolute loyalty.  Sometimes it's better for fighters to go to different places, but the trainers see that as an insult.

Yup. I can see how if you've invested time in helping someone, then they suddenly leave you, how it could be hurtful, but Vitor is doing what he feels is best for Vitor. Can't fault the guy for that.
1/19/11 10:55 AM
Khabeer Rockley

Damn that's a shame. I was really hoping Vitor wins this one, but this can't be good this close to the fight Phone Post
1/19/11 10:58 AM
frontrowbrian

Odd he'd leave a trainer who he had a career renaissance under. He is working with Gil Martinez who a lot of people have been raving about. I hope Brock Lesnar visits him while in Vegas for TUF.
1/19/11 11:01 AM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:(
1/19/11 11:05 AM
TAFKAS

Thompson hit it right on the money. Vitor has had something like 12 different fight camps at this point, it ridiculous.
1/19/11 11:10 AM
demonbasketball04
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even more of a reason to bet the house on Silva.
1/19/11 11:14 AM
john thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he will be fine at Coutures, he has been there a few years now.
1/19/11 11:16 AM
mmachicago
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a little what comes around goes around.It wasn't a problem for him when he took a bunch of fighters with him when he left Xtreme Couture for Tapout.It's ok for a fighter to leave a gym for a trainer but not to leave a trainer for a gym.
1/19/11 11:18 AM
crazydave
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Silva takes it!
1/19/11 11:19 AM
Mica Kizbig
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He probably saw the Cerrone/Horodecki fight and Tompkins superb cornering advice and made the decision based on that.
1/19/11 11:20 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Mike Tyson is WAYYYYY better suited to help Vitor prepare for a MT fighter like Silva, than Thompkins.
1/19/11 11:21 AM
Mica Kizbig
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Vitor, you're faster than this guy, get out there and smash his fucking fists with your face."
1/19/11 11:34 AM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor was doing well with Tompkins so it's surprising, but we don't know what exactly Vitor is doing over at Couture's.

I can see why you'd wanna go to different camps during breaks between fights to pick up different techniques and training. But come fight time, you'd think he'd want to have a stable camp, and bring in training partners that way.
1/19/11 11:43 AM
Yelm

I can see the logic in going to Coutures.  I just question the timing of it.  I am guessing he did all of his main training camp at Randy's.  I think the strategy is going to be a wrestling based one whe nhe fights Anderson.
1/19/11 11:50 AM
Dougie
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tompkins has NEVER demanded people cannot train at other gyms or with other people. Shawn has always had the back of his students and friends. It is important that they return the loyalty.
1/19/11 12:18 PM
MickColins
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He screwed over Carlson Gracie, who was the top trainer on Brazil at the time. And these guys are shocked he screws them over? Vitor talks God and loyalty but he's soft. I said it before in a Vitor thread: In Brazil, the bible calls him Judas Creonte, not Judas Iscariot. Vitor is Creonte. Phone Post
1/19/11 12:19 PM
Dougie
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fapout - Dougie- I want the date and time down to the milli second.
Sorry, I can only tell you what Shawn had for lunch.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.