UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Did I shove to early?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/20/11 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AndyDANGER
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was playing in a small live tournament Tuesday night.  I had 53,000 in chips. I was UTG+1

Blinds are 300/600
I have AA

UTG (10,300) raises to 1,800
Hero calls
Fold
Fold
Cutoff (90,000+) raises to 5,000
Button folds
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls
Hero Calls

Flop A J J

UTG shoves all in
Hero Calls
Cutoff reraises to a little over 20,000
Hero comes over the top all in

After a few minutes of thinking Cut off lays his hand down.  UTG turns over JdQd, I turn over the boat and take the pot, Button tells me he had J K suited.

did I make a mistake shoving at that point, if I would have just called would I have possibly got him to come all in later?
1/20/11 1:39 PM
andre
705 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely just call there. Your hand isnt vulnerable to anything but a miracle, so let him think you are overplaying your ace or that he has your jack outkicked. You can always bet/raise/shove on the turn for value, but the flop is too soon. Ideally he would hit his king on the turn or river and then he'll gladly give you his entire stack.
1/20/11 1:40 PM
andre
705 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/11 1:40 PM
Or the board pairs...like a 7 on the turn and again on the river.
1/20/11 5:35 PM
AndyDANGER
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the insight, I had another player at the table (who I actually beat Heads up to win the tourney)  tell me the same thing.  Thanks again for the reply
1/20/11 7:58 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/11 7:59 PM

Each of you played that hand horribly from start to finish.

Why wouldn't you represent a draw on the flop by just calling?  In this scenario it's less likely that he's bluffing given that another player is all in, but a lot of times in situations like this a player is bluffing or semi-bluffing, in which case you want to allow them to hang themselves.  In this case, if a player were drawing, you don't mind if they catch their draw.

P.S.  the cutoff lied.  He had KQ. (u said button, but I believe you meant cutoff).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.