UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Bjj Specific weight routines

1/22/11 6:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been training in BJJ for about 8 months now, but have been in MA for about 21 years, and I have for the past 10 years or so worked a weight routine which was specific to the MA I was studying. Now, as far as I can gather there are a few exercises that I can work which will really benefit my training. So far I have:

bicep curls - an exercise I have literally ignored for about 5 years, but one which helps so much in subs such as armbar/kimura/keylock etc.

Straight deadlifts - great core strength builder as already known, but good for takedown and posture control. If you do them properly and lift with your hips, it's actually excellent for bridging.

Half deads - very style specific but I really like 'em. The bar is on the squat rack at around mid-thigh and you move into the bar, hold in the crrok of your elbow, and explosively lift the bar before dropping back on the rack. This is again great for take downs, but I find it really good for explosive posturing. I use this to break triangles etc.

Bar shoulder lift - hold your arms at right angles and have your partner put the bar in the crook of your elbows. Lift your arms forward and grip the bar in your elbows. It's kind of like an 'arnie' shoulder press but with the weight gripped in between your elbows.It basically works your double underhook bridge whilst in side control.

Dips, weighted dips working angles. - great for tricep/lat strength as a whole, but more importantly building explosive power to keep the body at bay during a pass. The key to these is altering your body angle each set so you hit everwhere you are likely to need whilst rolling.

Neck extensions - these rock. Just start off slow.

These are the ones I have so far. Can anyone add some stuff that they use to flesh it out. I like to keep two gym days in with my MA training per week as I believe that the benefits are too noticable to discard the training in favour of pure MA.

Any contributions welcome... Oh, and by the way, I only have experience on my side and no official Physiological quals.
1/22/11 7:43 PM
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddamn. This should have been in the strength and conditionoing forum. First thread as well, can a kindly mod please move it...?

Sorry!
1/24/11 2:27 PM
Stubbsy

Nice all over routine there :-) Nothing missed out at all. I'm taking it the close grip was for specific power purposes appertaining to wrestling..? I don't think wide grip would give you much style specific power.
1/30/11 10:16 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think any kind of routine based on heavy, compound movements should work well.  I would say a squat or deadlift variation (barbell or trap bar), bench press, pullup, overhead press, bent over row and ab work would be a solid program. Add in specific bicep, tricep, and calf work if you want to and have the time/energy.

I used to do wrist rollers when I was wrestling in HS and they are great for grip strength.  I think that is what they are called...you have a weight tied to a short metal bar, hold the bar parallel to the ground in front of you and lift the weight by turning the bar in your hands.  They burn!
9/10/11 6:39 PM
Palmala Handerson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you spent as much time rolling as you do lifting weights you'd be a lot better off.
7/28/12 12:05 PM
zombie prophet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/28/12 12:07 PM
"Palmala Handerson - If you spent as much time rolling as you do lifting weights you'd be a lot better off."

2 times a week? stfu. the mental break switching off the mats gives time for new techniques to settle in when first learning. i.e "doing bjj fo 8 monthes..ever tried doing a class as a white belt where they taught 10 techniques? how many did you retain...
8/3/12 4:58 PM
Palmala Handerson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zombie prophet - "Palmala Handerson - If you spent as much time rolling as you do lifting weights you'd be a lot better off."

2 times a week? stfu. the mental break switching off the mats gives time for new techniques to settle in when first learning. i.e "doing bjj fo 8 monthes..ever tried doing a class as a white belt where they taught 10 techniques? how many did you retain...

So let me get this straight. Doing less BJJ makes you better? Holy shit no wonder I suck so bad.
11/7/12 7:04 PM
Lord Kancho

I'd say keep it simple

squat
deadlift or deadlift variation
press
pull
core - planches, one-armed snatches/deadlifts/farmer's carries, medicine ball throws, suitcase deadlifts, TGUs, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.