UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Retinal Detachment...help needed.

1/24/11 10:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AApetro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/11 10:55 AM

Hey Folks,I have recently suffered a detached retina (macula off), I can still see quiet a bit but there is very little clarity in my left eye. The doctors have tested me and I went from 20/20 to 20/100. This is a result of a training accident during BJJ (eye poke). I have since had a scleral buckle procedure at Mass Eye and Ear, along with a cryopexi ( cold laser) to seal other tears in my Retina. As of last follow up the Ophthalmologist saw fluid building up, if it isn't gone by tomorrow they're going to drain it and do another cryopexi on me. I'm pretty much useless till I get this sorted, has anyone ever been through this? What is your recovery like? The doctor pretty much said I could rule out competing ever again in MMA/BJJ/Boxing. I look at people like Alan Belcher and he is going to compete again post retinal detachment...sorry for the long winded post, freaking out.
1/29/11 6:26 PM
le0nidis

You definitely want to be careful. Woke up one morning and vision was really cloudy, dark, and tons of floaters in my left eye. Turns out, I had a detached retina and had laser surgery to "tack" it back down. I stopped training (bjj) for about a month until I got clearance from my doctor. I wore eye protection, basically racquetball glasses with wrestling headgear for a while until I got comfortable with rolling again. Now I am back to training. It's possible to come back, but you'll need to listen to your doctor.
3/15/11 11:56 AM
JeremyA

Edited: 03/15/11 11:56 AM
 Did you have lasting floaters from the injury leonidis? best of luck AApetro keep us updated on your condition. 

I had a PVD from sparring on friday so im seeing some floaters, but from what I have heard from others hopefully they go away. Im still at risk for a tear or detachment in the next month though but the drs said i look ok for now. 

3/18/11 9:18 AM
le0nidis

JeremyA,

Yah, I still have floaters. Not as much as before, but after a while you just ignore them.
3/24/11 1:17 AM
JeremyA

leonidis, thanks for the reply. Its been two weeks and its one big strand thats still there. Heres hoping it starts to fade soon, its annoying as shit as I work on a computer all day. Thankfully, it doesnt bother me as much at night. 

Some have told me they fade in weeks some can take a few months, I imagine fighters must get them often. As for me, no more getting punched in the eye. 
6/11/11 4:48 AM
bullshark

unless you are making millions, hang it up detached retinas are serious

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.