UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Vitor Belfort responds to Shawn Tompkins

1/24/11 11:06 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Coach Shawn Tompkins recently responded to Vitor Belfort leaving his gym, questioning his loyalty.

Now Vitor responds via twitter:

I dont think I have anything nice to say other than just ignoring it all. I have the right to choose who to train with. I have loyalty and respect and that is why I spoke in front of him. He tooks this more personally.

What he said does not reflect the truth because he is not well informed. Mike Tyson has never trained me.

I made my own choices and he was allowed to speak the truth and nothing more than that.

Read entire twitter... (orginal Portuguese)

1/24/11 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy response by Vitor, IMO
1/24/11 11:10 AM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/11 11:10 AM
Radio Raheem - Classy response by Vitor, IMO

Agreed
1/24/11 11:14 AM
suBJJective warMTh
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phenomenal response.
1/24/11 12:20 PM
Lee Conway
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great response. Just what I'd expect from Vitor. Phone Post
1/24/11 12:21 PM
disbeliever
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem - Classy response by Vitor, IMO
1/24/11 1:08 PM
devilishstoner
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone know if something happened or did vitor leave simply bc he didn't like the training he was receiving from tompkins?
1/24/11 1:09 PM
grkblood

Of course it was a classy response. What else is he going to say? What shawn said is the truth. lets not forget the tyrade that vitor brought onto jorge periera and rio heroes. Vitor got as much media attention as he could out of that. If the media wasn't interested I doubt he would have been. Basically he made a big deal out of nothing to get attention.

Vitor knows hes a polarizing figure in Brazil and he eats it up. Why do you think he was GIVEN his Carlson Gracie Black Belt? Y'all are aware that he didn't earn that right? Its nothing personal, he's just a media whore.
1/24/11 1:17 PM
Alumynabjj

grkblood - Of course it was a classy response. What else is he going to say? What shawn said is the truth. lets not forget the tyrade that vitor brought onto jorge periera and rio heroes. Vitor got as much media attention as he could out of that. If the media wasn't interested I doubt he would have been. Basically he made a big deal out of nothing to get attention.

Vitor knows hes a polarizing figure in Brazil and he eats it up. Why do you think he was GIVEN his Carlson Gracie Black Belt? Y'all are aware that he didn't earn that right? Its nothing personal, he's just a media whore.

please expand on this "given" black belt comment?
1/24/11 1:19 PM
Billyz
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^was just about to ask the same thing ^^ implying Vitor was not up to par with his ground game when he got his BB?
1/24/11 1:22 PM
grkblood

Edited: 01/24/11 1:21 PM
http://www.joeshowradio.com/archive/old.php?id=20100527-The-Joe-Show-ft-Jorge-Pereira

50 minute mark 
1/24/11 1:28 PM
robert bentley
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard from more than one reliable source that Vitor can be a bit of a princess to work with. No I'm not going to name my sources and no I don't care if anyone believes me.
1/24/11 1:36 PM
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he always trained at Xcouture...tomkins left the gym, vitor stayed....he didnt go anywhere, lol
1/24/11 2:02 PM
pharochuck
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anunaki - he always trained at Xcouture...tomkins left the gym, vitor stayed....he didnt go anywhere, lol
if this is the case, why is tompkins bashing him in the media? i'm confused

1/24/11 2:04 PM
AlphaSlap
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billyz - ^^was just about to ask the same thing ^^ implying Vitor was not up to par with his ground game when he got his BB?

Carlson built up this manchild athlete named "Victor Gracie" who became Vitor Belfort after winning a few cagefights.

Vitor was supposedly a blue belt when Carlson awarded his black. It was for publicity, and to scare the shit out of opponents who saw him blasting through people twice his size.
He was a 19 year old who could effectively kick the world's ass, started believing his own hype, and made some poor choices and got humbled.
1/24/11 2:07 PM
pharochuck
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robert bentley - I have heard from more than one reliable source that Vitor can be a bit of a princess to work with.
and always demanding things go the way he wants is the reason why he has been able to fight as a pro for 14 years. out of 27 pro fights you can only find about 3 'gimme' fights. even guys who now we see weren't very good seemed like a handful at the time, like ferrozo, hess.
1/24/11 2:07 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pharochuck - 
anunaki - he always trained at Xcouture...tomkins left the gym, vitor stayed....he didnt go anywhere, lol
if this is the case, why is tompkins bashing him in the media? i'm confused

Vitor came to Xtreme Couture in 2008 to train with Randy. Tompkins was an instructor there and became Vitors striking coach. Tompkins then decided to leave Randys to start his own gym and took some of the guys with him. Vitor continued to train at Xtreme Couture but also at Tompkins gym

Vitor stopped training at Shawns but continued at XC. Shawn is pissed and claims Vitor is flakey

1/24/11 2:15 PM
ToeTheLine

That pretty much sums it up. This "issue" really isn't an issue at all. Thompkins is blowing things way out of proportion.
1/24/11 2:28 PM
Haulport

if you remember Shawn also "dumped" Wandy because of his issues with "Brazilian time."

Shawn should keep this shit in the gym....................
1/24/11 2:29 PM
Tony Manifold

I got the impression when Tompkins left Couture's he left because he wasn't getting the recognition he wanted. They were seen as randy's fighters when he felt he was doing all the work.
1/24/11 2:30 PM
K-Dub-"T"

robert bentley - I have heard from more than one reliable source that Vitor can be a bit of a princess to work with. No I'm not going to name my sources and no I don't care if anyone believes me.

Well I can name one: Carlson Gracie Snr (R.I.P) 
And he wasn't afraid to let anyone know who would listen lol. Even funnier when he had people translate for him.
1/24/11 2:41 PM
CompanyBlue

Belfort was "given" black belt for a couple of reason. One was he was about to make his Vale Tudo debut so it would look better for a Gracie to fight as a black belt. I say Gracie because he went as Vitor Gracie before in case some of you newbies get confused.

Second, Vitor was totally crushing all of the other Carlson black belts in MMA training at the time and the black belt in terms of Vale Tudo was definitely worthy even if he wasn't the sharpest of BJJ guys in the gi. Sperry, Goes, you know them he was beating them all up already.

Belfort wasn't some BJJ scrub, he had demolished everybody when he competed as a blue belt and his BJJ was definitely worthy of wearing a brown belt by the time he came over. The joke that you always hear is that he was a purple belt in Brazil and when he got off the plane in the US he was wearing a black belt. lol

Considering how much he has accomplished in the sport and is probably just entering his prime, there are countless other peoples belts who should be questioned before him. If you look at his belt promotion, it was sort a sign of things to come. Today there are a lot of black belts who get their belts based on their no gi or their MMA skills, not so much their gi or self defense game.

your welcome
1/24/11 2:42 PM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whether Vitor was given his black belt or not theres no denying that he is black belt level for quite some time

Also as someone said Tompkins needs to keep this shit in the gym and stop taking his shit to the media
1/24/11 3:01 PM
grkblood

Edited: 01/24/11 3:01 PM
Maybe the bigger issue should be that he was expelled from carlson's team and not that he was given a black belt. That speaks more on the situation at hand.

What you do in the cage and outside of the cage are different things. I like watching the guy fight. But in my opinion in a way he's the Titor Ortiz of Brazlian MMA. Is that a bad thing? I don't know.

I think we can all agree that Vitor has made some bad decisions in the fight game but whatever. Let's just see the fight. It should be a good one.
1/24/11 3:43 PM
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 things, or 3 things rather:

1) Agreed that Vitor had the diplomatic answer and though some figures can be fun to stir shit up (Chael, Diaz) theres too much TMZ shit in the world, we need to focus on fighting more

2) Twitter wars are still ghey

3) This is a pivotal point in Vitor's career, i say he has the make whatever dec he feels he needs to make to try and win the belt and dethrone Anderson

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.