UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Carson Palmer demanding trade

1/24/11 6:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Steelersfan 24 7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How sad is your team and city when your starting QB would prefer to retire than continue to play for his current team? The answer is pretty damn sad. He's not that good anymore anyways, but if I was the Arizona Cardinals I might offer a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him. They still have some dammn good receivers and just need a guy to get them the ball. Who wants to play in the Queen City anyway? How gay is that? I'm surprised the uniforms aren't rainbow colors.

What teams do you think might be interested and might be a good fit for him?
1/24/11 7:54 PM
SecondBase
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/11 7:53 PM
A change of scenery would do Carson good imo.
1/24/11 8:41 PM
Alco Hauler
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The team's ownership is a joke, but that's no reflection on the city or the fanbase.  It's amazing the support this organization gets considering how pathetic they've been over the years.  The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 20+ years, and they have had only 2 winning seasons during that span.  Yet they sold out 57 straight games during that span, a streak that just came to an end this season.  That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.  Cincinnati is a GREAT football town with passionate fans, and it's a shame that the current owner is the ass clown that he is.

That said - I seriously doubt Carson will be traded.  But I also don't think he's bluffing.  Mike Brown is stubborn enough to refuse to trade him, and will hold onto his rights so he can't play for any other team.  It's a little like Barry Sanders and the Detroit Lions.  Carson has likely been smart with his money and is able to retire comfortably on the West Coast.

What really hurts about this whole thing is this - Carson Palmer never says ANYTHING bad in the media.  Even when it was obvious that things weren't his fault, he would still fall on the sword before he threw a teammate under the bus.  He has always said the right thing, almost to a point that he's boring.  So for him to make a statement like this speaks volumes as to how pathetic this organization is being run.  I don't really blame him.  It's got to be frustrating to play for a Mickey Mouse orgnanization that's being run by a guy who has no idea how bad he is at his job.  It's certainly frustrating being a fan of this team, I can't imagine working for an owner like that.

I knew things were bad behind the curtain in Bengal Land.  From a lack of professionalism, skimping out on scouts, nepotism at its worst in filling meaningful jobs, and basically just a complete lack of respect for the fans that continued to sell out that stadium week after week.  I knew things were bad.  But for the face of the franchise - the starting QB - to come out and just say "Fuck it.  I've had enough of this organization" leads me to believe it's way fucking worse than I ever imagined.

Maybe Mike Brown will fire Brat and allow Ocho to get cut and that's enough to convince Carson to come back.  But if Palmer is truly done, this organization is fucked.  And I'm not saying that because I think Palmer is such a great QB - lately he's no better than average.  But the message that this will send to the league will put this organization back to the days when Free Agents refused to come here, draft picks won't want to sign here, and more and more good players will jump ship.

And to think I was already looking at next season's schedule and feeling good because it's pretty easy.  Such is the life of the eternally-optimistic wait-till-next-year Bengals fan.

Who Dey.

1/24/11 8:42 PM
Alco Hauler
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow.  FRAT.
1/24/11 11:07 PM
Doomsday

Nah, good read. I feel badly for the Bengals. I always liked the stripes. Good midwestern folks. Too bad for them, theres only one Scott Pioli.
1/25/11 9:53 AM
Steelersfan 24 7

It sucks for Palmer because I think he could be a valuable player on a different team. There are plenty of teams that could do a lot worse than Carson Palmer for a QB. The Vikes and Titans will be in the market for a QB as well.
1/25/11 3:09 PM
thePetester

I have never thought Palmer was all he was cracked up to be, but he would certainly be far better than the insane asylum of Cincy.
1/25/11 7:07 PM
Alco Hauler

Steelersfan 24 7 - It sucks for Palmer because I think he could be a valuable player on a different team. There are plenty of teams that could do a lot worse than Carson Palmer for a QB. The Vikes and Titans will be in the market for a QB as well.
Agreed.  I think Palmer is a good guy and still has a few decent years in him.  I'd love to see him stay, but if he is truly going to retire I wish Mike Brown would trade him to another team.  He would definitely be an upgrade for Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, San Fransisco, Seattle.  Actually, he'd probably be an upgrade for a lot more teams than that, but those are the ones that are in such bad shape at QB that they might consider giving up a 1st for him.

1/25/11 9:46 PM
deus ex machina

Of all the USC QB's in the past decade, I always thought Carson was the one who could attain greatness. Even when he got drafted by the Bengals, I still had some hope for him. I can't remember the last time a franchise QB demanded a trade in such a way. It's just...sad.
1/27/11 11:10 PM
C1010
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They may as well trade him and get some players or picks for him. I think he would do great for another team.
1/28/11 7:45 AM
Alco Hauler

C1010 - They may as well trade him and get some players or picks for him. I think he would do great for another team.
That would make sense, but "sense" is something Mike Brown has none of.  He's as stubborn as a mule, and would have no problem forcing Palmer into retirement while holding on to his rights as a player.

1/28/11 7:14 PM
Kliquid
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really do think Carson's days as even a top-15 QB are done. I highly doubt the Bengals get anything of value for him, which is going to piss a LOT of fans off.
1/28/11 10:49 PM
FlyingTriangle
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see Palmer go to the Niners.. They have plenty of talent and we need a QB!!!
2/10/11 7:29 PM
Jmunzies
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carson palmer's last pass of the season says it all
2/12/11 12:31 PM
qp222

he has no right to demand a damn thing all things considered

possibly the most irrelevant qb in the league
2/22/11 8:22 PM
5th Dan Aikido Man

ttt
2/24/11 12:07 AM
Jmunzies
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

qp222 - he has no right to demand a damn thing all things considered

possibly the most irrelevant qb in the league

Uhh I wouldn't go that far. Maybe most under-achieving.
5/6/11 9:48 PM
Steelersfan 24 7

After drafting AJ Green and Andy Dalton I think things are looking much better for Cincy. They should get rid of TO and Ocho. I like their core of young receivers. If Carson comes back then they don't have to throw Dalton to the wolves. If he doesn't Dalton may be alot closer to being ready than people realize. I love the Dalton pick. He was a steal where they got him. He's a leader and a winner!
5/15/11 8:30 AM
Alco Hauler

Edited: 05/15/11 5:22 PM
 I loved the Bengals draft.  TO is gone - there is no chance they bring him back.  Now that they have AJ Green, I think that increases the chances that Chad will be gone as well.  I'm perfectly fine with a receiving core of AJ Green, Jordan Shipley, Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson - with Gresham @ TE.  New OC Gruden runs a west coast offense, which should fit very well with the skillsets that the Bengals have. 
5/18/11 7:17 AM
Doomsday

Carson sold his house.
5/27/11 4:10 PM
C1010
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Brown pretty much said (officially) in a phone interview that he will not trade Carson. That is nuts especially when you can trade him away for a draft pick to build your future.
6/9/11 9:18 PM
Alco Hauler

C1010 - Mike Brown pretty much said (officially) in a phone interview that he will not trade Carson. That is nuts especially when you can trade him away for a draft pick to build your future.

Like I hinted to earlier - if Mike Brown says he won't trade you  - you will not be traded.

He's more of a stubborn ASS than he is an intelligent football guy.

6/9/11 10:26 PM
xcouturefan

Alco Hauler - 

Like I hinted to earlier - if Mike Brown says he won't trade you  - you will not be traded.

I remember his drama with Carl Pickens.
6/11/11 5:34 PM
Alco Hauler

xcouturefan - 
Alco Hauler - 

I remember his drama with Carl Pickens.
Exactly.  

Just once I wish he'd be an intelligent owner instead of the stubborn ass that he is, but I know it will never happen.

By the way - The Bengals still make their players sign "The Pickens Clause" when they sign them to contracts.

Pathetic.

7/27/11 7:51 PM
DaveFu
1720 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the Pickens Clause?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.