UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bruce Buffer "Jon Jones will be ALI of MMA"

1/24/11 7:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
osiriss
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

really good stuff here ...Blue name a little help please :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UWqgOAlSkIE
1/24/11 7:48 PM
Lee Conway
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Problem with that is that when Jones eventually suffers a proper loss, the love for him will totally diminish. MMA fans are extremely fickle. Phone Post
1/24/11 7:50 PM
SteveNovak

Aren't we still in the Machida era.. or wait is it the resurgence of Shogun era...either way its always smart to make concrete statements (retarded guesses) about fighters futures.
1/24/11 7:54 PM
likatiga
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Buffer hugger but that's a pretty dumb thing to say on many levels.

Ali transcended boxing, Jon Jones will not transcend anything. Through no fault of his own, it's just not the right time in history for another Ali.
1/24/11 7:56 PM
AsimpleFan
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Anderson Silva is the Ali of MMA, for the way he KO'd Griffen and rope-a-doped Sonnen.
1/24/11 8:10 PM
B Sharps
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think we are probably 50 or 60 years away from the "Ali" of MMA. We want and are so quick to label someone as the Ali of MMA or the GOAT, but in reality it is a young sport and it is just scratching the surface of possibilities of skills. There is a long way to go and a lot of athletes that haven't even been born yet that will one day be fighters. They will look back on guys like Jones as we do on guys like Jack Johnson and talk about how great they were as pioneers. Jon Jones is the Jon Jones of MMA, JMHO.
1/24/11 8:37 PM
Wasa-B
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UltraMagnus - Jon Jones = The Roy Jones Jr of MMA if anything.....

GSP = Sugar Ray Robinson

Anderson Silva = Sugar Ray Leonard

Saku = Ali
1/24/11 8:38 PM
groundfighter2000
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ummmmmm no. I could care less what Buffer has to say except:

"ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'S TIME!"
1/24/11 8:46 PM
bodybag76

UltraMagnus - Jon Jones = The Roy Jones Jr of MMA if anything.....

GSP = Sugar Ray Robinson

Anderson Silva = Sugar Ray Leonard

WoW! Only in the UG
1/24/11 8:47 PM
undisputed1972

Jon Jones is obviously very talented and entertaining as a fighter with a good chance at becoming champion in the future. I sure though that he himself wishes there wasn't all this pressure put on him the whole time.
1/24/11 8:52 PM
blue_tape_39
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sugar rashad evans, imo Phone Post
1/24/11 8:58 PM
MillhouseMMA
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's beaten Vera and now we wanna say he'll be the greatest ever. Let's just wait and see here.
1/24/11 9:02 PM
Joe_Leduc

If Fedor wins the tourney, hmmm he will be hard to dethrone as G.O.A.T.

If he doesn't win it and GSP beats Silva.. GSP > Fedor == Silva
1/24/11 9:10 PM
TX_432
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buffer said he will be not that he is. If he keeps wrecking ppl I don't see why not.
1/24/11 9:27 PM
Kakkarotto_san
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just watching UFC Unleashed on Spike TV, not 2 hours ago or so.

The fight was Tim Sylvia vs Gan McGee. Both Goldberg and Rogan were drooling over Tim's "boxing technique". I kid you fucking not, they were blabbing on and on about how great Tim's technique was and also how Gan McGee was such a great wrestler.....

Perfect example of UFC Hype Machine at work, and so is this.
1/24/11 9:38 PM
muay_jitsu

I just threw up at this dumb comment. Why do we insist on comparing athletes to prior legends. Most of the time they never live up and not only that everyone is their own individual. There will NEVER be another ALI due to the fact that he transcended the sport as someone already mentioned. He battled racism and politics while remaining the most popular athlete not only in the USA but in most parts of the world. Jon Jones will NEVER be this big. I can't stand that people crown someone before they accomplish anything. Reminds me of when mousasi was on a tear and people were crowning him. Bader has a very good chance at beating Jones then what?
1/24/11 9:39 PM
BLACKBUDDAH

What, Is he going to end up with Parkinsons Disease?

Muhammad Ali was great for more than fighting he was a voice of social change. If you took Ali out of the 60's and 70's and dropped him in Tysons era he would be about as famous as Evander Holyfield. The Era and the struggles some Americans faced and his response made him one of the Greatest.
1/24/11 10:18 PM
ChiTown Philly

Yeah and bruce buffer will be the michael buffer of mma Phone Post
1/24/11 10:24 PM
pulsar

Not a bad call, he's got as much potential as I've ever seen in MMA. Realising it of course is the harder part of the equation.
1/24/11 10:35 PM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol. subbed for later
1/24/11 10:36 PM
relow

I still can't get past DW calling Phillipe Nover the lightweight Anderson Silva.

Anyways, back on topic. I like Bruce but anyone who's listened to more than one of his radio shows on Sherdog would know he's the biggest UFC shill out there.
1/24/11 10:39 PM
pulsar

I like Bruce but anyone who's listened to more than one of his radio shows on Sherdog would know he's the biggest UFC shill out there.
*Gasp* Shocking.

1/24/11 10:41 PM
ThreadRuiner

He's just making a simple prediction. He didn't say he IS the Ali of mma, he said he WILL be. Big difference. I personally think he will go down as one of the goat too when its all said and done.
1/24/11 10:45 PM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

relow - I still can't get past DW calling Phillipe Nover the lightweight Anderson Silva.

QFT
1/24/11 11:08 PM
JDSFTW

Jones is nowhere near as tough as Ali. As soon as he gets bullied he'll quit the fight. Pulling for Bader to pop this hype bubble Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.