UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Let's talk hot sauces

1/24/11 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ns_echoes
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So there used to be this awesome specialty store called Taste on the Danforth here in Toronto where I had access to all kinds of crazy hot sauces.

Sadly it shut down. The last time I was in there, they told me they'd be relocating and to leave my e-mail address for any updates. That was a little less a than year ago and I've heard nothing since.

I'm also almost completely out of the last stuff i bought -- CaJohns Killer Chipotle Hot Sauce. Side note: this stuff kicks so much ass. Goes with everything. Eggs, stir frys, seafood, chicken, steak, chili, pizza (holy fuck does it go awesomely on pizza)

I may end up ordering the CaJohns again, but I'm open to trying anything the OG recommends. I'm looking for something hot that doesn't sacrifice flavour.
1/25/11 9:00 AM
ns_echoes
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one has a recommendation?

Like I said, looking for something hot with a killer flavour.

Unfortunately most good-tasting hot sauces hit like Michael Bisping pedalling backwards on a unicycle.
1/25/11 11:41 AM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.drgonzos.com/Smoke-Isle-Elixir.html

Actually, everything Dr. Gonzo makes kicks ass
1/25/11 12:37 PM
Pito Chueco
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

princeofdecals - make your own

This!

I have been experimenting and nailed a few. Really easy and once you get a base down, you can mess with other combinations without too much effort.
1/25/11 2:43 PM
ns_echoes

Pito Chueco - 
princeofdecals - make your own

This!

I have been experimenting and nailed a few. Really easy and once you get a base down, you can mess with other combinations without too much effort.
Interesting... never tried making my own before, but it sounds fun.

1/26/11 7:26 AM
Pito Chueco
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/jalapeno-hot-sauce/Detail.aspx

Start with this as a base, then experiment. Make sure you use glass or non-reactive pan.

So far I have made about 10 batches, each a bit of experimenting. I have subbed the water for OJ, used different types of peppers, added fruit etc. All come out good, some great.

I would add the vinegar slowly and taste as you go to make sure the vinegar is not overpowering.
1/26/11 8:31 AM
ns_echoes

Pito Chueco - http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/jalapeno-hot-sauce/Detail.aspx

Start with this as a base, then experiment. Make sure you use glass or non-reactive pan.

So far I have made about 10 batches, each a bit of experimenting. I have subbed the water for OJ, used different types of peppers, added fruit etc. All come out good, some great.

I would add the vinegar slowly and taste as you go to make sure the vinegar is not overpowering.
Awesome; thanks! I'll try and give this a shot on the weekend.

1/29/11 2:17 AM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Tabasco Habenero sauce. It has a good deep hebenero flavor with some heat.

If you want pure heat, Dave's Insanity Sauce is up there. A few drops in a big pot of chili adds a lot of heat. The flavor is pretty non-existent with large recipes. It doesn't really taste that great anyway.

1/29/11 11:39 PM
ChrisChronic
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mohotta.com

Just amazing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.