UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Jerry West,"Lakers can't play D b/c they are OLD!'

1/24/11 8:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you guys can re-sign the Logo?

Phil Jackson doesn't disagree when former Los Angeles Lakers general manager Jerry West says the current team has problems consistently clamping down on defense.

Late last week, West, a Hall of Fame player, said the Lakers are "getting long in the tooth" and drew a correlation between the team's age -- 10 players on the roster are 30 or older -- and a lack of defensive consistency.

"If there's a loose ball now, how often do they get to it? The reason you can't play defense is because you can't," West said.

Jackson's reaction?

"He's right. We have to do a lot of things right to be able to play defense the way we want to, and most of it is about controlling the tempo of a game," Jackson said.

"There's something about just speed. Outright speed. We're not the fastest team on the boards here in the NBA, but we can do it if we control things in the right way."

West, speaking at a luncheon for car dealers in Orange County, Calif., predicted the Lakers' age will catch up to them.

"I don't think the Lakers will be good for much longer. You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. But you can't change a player's tires," he said.

Players were a little less inclined to agree with The Logo.

"You probably won't get me to respond in anyway negatively towards Jerry West. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him," said Derek Fisher, who was drafted by the Lakers in 1996 when West was the general manager. "I won't respond specifically to him, but anybody else that has anything to say about the way we've been playing defensively is just unfounded and not true. Statistically the numbers are there. In the last 10 or 11 games, we've seen the difference.

"Teams [against us] aren't shooting the ball as well. Opponents' points per game are down. We've obviously had some slip-ups ... but we're working hard at finding a way to play 48 perfect minutes. I don't know if we'll get there, but we're working at it."

Kobe Bryant agreed to a degree that the team isn't as fast as past versions.

"The dynamics of the team have changed slightly. Last year, you had Jordan [Farmar] and Sasha [Vujacic] in the second unit running around like jackrabbits. That was their big strength, their ability to get out on the open floor. This team, we slow things down a little bit more. We run on need. We're not a fast-break team by any stretch of the imagination. But fast breaks don't win championships, anyway. If they did, Phoenix would have a bunch."

Pau Gasol echoed that the Lakers can still get it done on the defensive end.

"I don't think we're old enough not to be able to play defensively efficiently. We're gonna get it done and we're getting it done at times. We're not a group old enough not to be able to stop guys and collectively support each other."
1/24/11 11:26 PM
PTM2020
1097 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is one of the very few times I will disagree with Jerry West.

if you subtract Joe Smith & Ratliffe the lakers are actually younger than the Celtics.

Their defense is ranked higher than the celts too.

and if you wanna get into statistics.

The Lakers hold their opponent to the 3rd lowest % in the league (.437) behind only Miami (.428) and Chicago (.425). Boston is the 5th best team in this regard (.440). 

We also defend the 3 better than Boston. We're #5 on that list (.340) while Boston is #8 (.346). 

We also rebound better than they do. Boston as a team, grabs the fewest rebounds per game in the entire league. In RPG, the Lakers are second only to Minnesota. Looking at rebound rate, we are 3rd best in the league (behind LAC and CHI) while Boston sits at #16. 

Who blocks more? The Lakers. 11th best in the league compared to Boston's 20th. 

They do steal the ball more though. They steal 8.20 per game compared to the Lakers' 7.57 (Boston and LA are 6th and 10th in the league in steels).

1/25/11 1:43 PM
kanotoa
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kobe is old in NBA years. I can't wait until the Lakers dump him.
1/25/11 3:44 PM
quick
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boston has had so many injuries that I am not sure that there would be much to gleam from comparing them to a, relatively injury free, LA. We won't even bring up your easy schedule.
1/25/11 3:56 PM
EKPOGI
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the logo just dropping subliminals as usual to challenge/fire up Kobe.Him and Phil only complaint bout Kobe this year is his defensive effort.it works,and in the end he'll have Kobe's back.

he did this before,early in the season,he said he'd take Lebron over Kobe.he wanted to light a fire under Bean.then during the playoffs he proclaimed Kobe is the GOAT in Laker history.
1/25/11 3:59 PM
EKPOGI
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/25/11 4:00 PM
EKPOGI

1/25/11 10:55 PM
PTM2020
1097 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good points EK!
1/26/11 11:47 AM
JCT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lebron being better than Kobe and Kobe being the greatest laker don't contradict each other.
1/26/11 12:22 PM
EKPOGI

^yes.but he did say if he was to start a team,he'd draft Lebron.didn't really say Lebron was better than Kobe.which makes the logo a genius.when he said it,people where shocked because he brought Kobe to the NBA and most thought it was a diss.Kobe then raised his game and led the Lakers to the playoffs,he needed a morale boost after his first two bad games against Thunder with his jacked-up knee,people calling him old,etc.then calls him greatest Laker of all time(and gets knee drained).then Kobe dominates western conf playoffs(not the finals).

being the GOAT Laker is one hell of a compliment coming from the logo who was teammates with Wilt,Elgin Baylor,coached Kareem and Magic,signed Shaq.

plus last year,during the halftime he told Magic that Kobe is the best basketball player in the world.(so did Jordan by the way).

Jerry will probably say something positive for the Lakers around playoff time.
1/26/11 4:18 PM
PTM2020

wtf???

---

West says his 'old' comments not directed at Lakers 

By the reaction his "old" comments have generated over the past few, Jerry West said he feels like he burned the bible. 

West, speaking at a luncheon for the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, was quoted as saying the Lakers are "long in the tooth" and insinuated they are bad at defending because 10 of the 14 players on the roster are 30 years old or older. 

His comments have worked their way into the Lakers locker room, Phil Jackson's media sessions, Internet chat rooms, media blogs and headlines across America, causing a stir that continues to pull West into the headlines. 

"It's actually funny," West said Wednesday morning on the Dan Patrick radio show. "A gentleman in the audience asked me why the (Lakers) don't defend and I said that comes down to the age of players on the team. I wasn't talking about the team (Lakers) at all. 

"I'm shocked that someone wouldn't think the Lakers can defend. I fully expect them to be back with a championship this season, with all due deference to San Antonio and the incredible job Greg Popovich and the organization has done down there."

West said the Lakers are "too big and too strong" for most teams in the NBA, a point driven home in Tuesday's 120-91 rout of Utah. He added the Lakers are difficult to score against when they set up defensively. 

But they are getting up there in years. 

"No question," West told Patrick. "But look at the Boston Celtics. They're older than the Lakers and everyone says they are one of the best defensive teams in the league. 

"…. To me, they have to be the team that is the favorite. But they are getting older and the one opponent you don't defeat in this league is age. And Boston will face that too." 

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lakers-285706-west-comments.html 

1/27/11 1:02 AM
EKPOGI

haha.good old Logo
1/30/11 12:02 PM
kanotoa
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry West is a Laker shill anyway. His only purpose in life is to secretly help the Lakers anyway possible. I predict Jerry locks some of his young daughters in Kobe's room every once in a while.
1/30/11 6:54 PM
quick

It looks like Jerry is right. They looked soft and weak against the Celtics.
1/30/11 7:28 PM
Floppy Divac
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I was watching the game I was thinking to myself, "damn, Artest looks pretty freakin slow out there.".
1/31/11 12:56 PM
kanotoa

Time for Artest to start boxing people for 10 million a fight.
1/31/11 8:01 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry West might have a point. :(

But I still have hope that they will round into shape by the time the playoffs get here.

*fingers crossed*
1/31/11 10:33 PM
quick

1-5 against teams worth a shit. Then again the All Star break hasn't even happened yet. But it has to be disconcerting that your team can't even get it up for a statement game.
2/1/11 12:17 AM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/01/11 12:18 AM
The Spurs lost to the Celtics too so I wouldn't talk too much if I were you Quick!
2/1/11 10:23 AM
quick

I don't know if I would say that loss is defining our season. So it really isn't that much of an issue at this point.
2/1/11 12:45 PM
Floppy Divac
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spurs are killing motherfuckers, no comparison.
2/1/11 1:29 PM
deus ex machina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick - 1-5 against teams worth a shit. Then again the All Star break hasn't even happened yet. But it has to be disconcerting that your team can't even get it up for a statement game.

LOL @ statement games in the regular season, much less before the All-Star break. Tim Duncan likes to tongue little boys' assholes.
2/1/11 3:34 PM
quick

deus ex machina - 
quick - 1-5 against teams worth a shit. Then again the All Star break hasn't even happened yet. But it has to be disconcerting that your team can't even get it up for a statement game.

LOL @ statement games in the regular season, much less before the All-Star break. Tim Duncan likes to tongue little boys' assholes.

You are lying to yourself if you think that wasn't a statement game. And I suspect you were sexually abused as a kid.
2/1/11 4:36 PM
quick

Magic says, LA is old and needs a trade.

LOS ANGELES -- A day after Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said he would consider a trade amid the team's recent struggles, Magic Johnson said on Tuesday the Lakers need to make a deal to improve a team he believes isn't good enough to win a championship.

"I think we have to," Johnson said. "We have to do something. The Lakers are not responding and two things showed me that -- the Miami Heat Christmas game and then the Boston Celtics game [on Sunday]. When you don't get up for your two biggest games during the season and you have flat performances, then you have to start looking at trade possibilities to improve the team and bring some energy to the team and bring some new life to the team."

Johnson, who sold his shares in the Lakers in October, made the comments after speaking at a press conference at the Los Angeles Convention Center to announce a naming rights deal for Farmers Field, a proposed football stadium in downtown Los Angeles next to Staples Center. Johnson is planning on becoming a part-owner if Los Angeles gets a new NFL team.

"Unfortunately we're looking old and we're playing old," Johnson said. "We're not responding to the more athletic teams and the quicker teams. So we must change something. I think we have to now look at this team and maybe say we're not good enough. Things might have to change."

Lakers head coach Phil Jackson said Kupchak's comments were rather obvious.

"If we weren't always looking to benefit our team, we wouldn't be doing our business," Jackson said after shootaround Tuesday afternoon in preparation for a game against the Rockets. "So, it was a good calling card that Mitch threw out there."

When asked to clarify what he meant by the phrase "calling card," Jackson said, "The door's open for business."

The 11-time championship winning coach did not feel the Lakers have fallen into a dire situation requiring drastic changes, even though L.A. has lost four out of their last seven games and already had four- and three-game losing streaks earlier in the season.

Jackson said the thinking on the Lakers' part about their situation is different than when the Orlando Magic had lost five out of six games in December and management decided to overhaul its roster, making deals to acquire Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson and Gilbert Arenas while shipping out Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis and Marcin Gortat.

"We're obviously not happy with the way we've played recently, that's the last couple losses that we've had, but the reality is we have a team that is pretty experienced and knows how to play in the playoffs so I doubt if we'd do a multiple-change [trade or something] that big," Jackson said.
2/1/11 4:49 PM
EKPOGI

meh,Magic is another one likes to drop subliminals to fire up Kobe,then go back to Kobe when he needs the morale boost

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.