UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> Where should I train in the Tampa area?

1/25/11 9:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrandCarey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been training at Elite Training center in St. Pete and while the instruction is top notch and the guys there are great it is not a fight gym and most of the bigger guys go to the day classes when I work so I don't get to roll/spar with enough guys my size or larger.

I live in South Tampa and depending on class time travel can go up to 20-30 mins.

Any suggestions?
1/26/11 6:29 AM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

south tampa? isn't Arroyo in South Tampa?

www.gracietampa.net
1/26/11 8:13 AM
Lilryanmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

St. Pete Mma is in St. Petersburg, Coached by Shane Dunn SPMF fight team trains there. www.stpetemma.com
1/26/11 9:27 AM
Kenbos
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Tampa opened up a location in South Tampa not too long ago. Check out Tom's link.
1/26/11 9:40 AM
BrandCarey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I am aware of that but I wasn't too keen on having to buy a Gym membership and pay membership dues. That being said I am planning to contact them about trying them out next week.

And St. Pete MMA is a bit of a drive for the class schedule they offer.

Also anyone know why a lot of the local guys seem to hate on Gracie Tampa? Is that founded or jealousy primarily? I know Arroyo comes around the forums sometimes maybe he could provide some insight.
1/26/11 10:23 AM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrandCarey - Yeah I am aware of that but I wasn't too keen on having to buy a Gym membership and pay membership dues. That being said I am planning to contact them about trying them out next week.

you will get what you pay for....if you are serious about training and making it a part of your life, any gym worth its salt will require some sort of commitment from you. That commitment usually comes in the form of a contract stipulating $$$ monthly.

I haven't heard a lot of GT hate, then again I live over an hour from there, but if you are interested in grappling/bjj/mma they are one of the top schools in the state. Any interaction I've had with Rob or any of the other guys from there has always been super positive....

that being said, the best way to make a decision is through firsthand experience...
1/26/11 12:06 PM
BrandCarey

What I meant by gym membership Tom was they have their classes inside of a fitness gym(like weights, treadmills etc) and I didn't want to have to pay the membership there and with GT.

All that said I agree if the training is worth it I will pay it.
1/26/11 12:11 PM
Kenbos
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GT has a location like what you're looking for inside a Gold's gym. That's the only one I know that runs classes out of a gym like that.
1/26/11 12:29 PM
Lilryanmma

Contact Shane the class info may need to be updated. If you aare driving to St. Pete already it is not that far and the level of instruction  is top notch ask around anyone  educated on FL mma will vouch for Coach Dunn.. WAR SPMF. GT has good guys also and decent instruction, also Robson for just jitz
1/26/11 12:29 PM
Lilryanmma

Contact Shane the class info may need to be updated. If you aare driving to St. Pete already it is not that far and the level of instruction  is top notch ask around anyone  educated on FL mma will vouch for Coach Dunn.. WAR SPMF. GT has good guys also and decent instruction, also Robson for just jitz
1/26/11 4:19 PM
Gamebred
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey its rob kahn here

come by and try us out in south Tampa. i would also try out all the other schools in the area and decide which one is best for you!

im proud of what we have done in a short period of time. We have won team titles in both NAGA and GQ as well as the COPA and multiple smalller tournys in the area.
i have put a competitor in ADCC as well as 7 fighters into the TUF fighter house. We have a terrific relationship with XFC and RFC and have produced some terrific mma fighters too.

we dont take a backseat to anyone in terms of the level of instruction or the level of sparring in the room. BUT we have a terrific beginners program for those students who have never trained before or are not looking for a competetive atmosphere.

see you on the matt

rob
1/26/11 4:26 PM
BrandCarey

Gamebred - Hey its rob kahn here

come by and try us out in south Tampa. i would also try out all the other schools in the area and decide which one is best for you!

im proud of what we have done in a short period of time. We have won team titles in both NAGA and GQ as well as the COPA and multiple smalller tournys in the area.
i have put a competitor in ADCC as well as 7 fighters into the TUF fighter house. We have a terrific relationship with XFC and RFC and have produced some terrific mma fighters too.

we dont take a backseat to anyone in terms of the level of instruction or the level of sparring in the room. BUT we have a terrific beginners program for those students who have never trained before or are not looking for a competetive atmosphere.

see you on the matt

rob

I sent an email to your South Tampa guys about checking it out next week. I'm definitely looking to actually compete. Hopefully I will hear from someone tomorrow and I will be up there Tuesday.
1/27/11 3:17 PM
Tom Lawlor

Rob, who competed in ADCC?
1/27/11 5:05 PM
Gamebred
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin Garcia in 05. he had roger gracie in the first round. justin took him down hard with high crotch......it went very down hill from there
1/27/11 7:36 PM
shah5297
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive trained in a few places in Tampa and Rob is hands down the best in Tampa.
1/27/11 7:44 PM
breakit

Gamebred - Justin Garcia in 05. he had roger gracie in the first round. justin took him down hard with high crotch......it went very down hill from there

I remember that pic of Chim with Roger up in the air!
1/28/11 10:27 AM
Tom Lawlor

Gamebred - Justin Garcia in 05. he had roger gracie in the first round. justin took him down hard with high crotch......it went very down hill from there

Haha, what weight was that at? Chim used to compete at a lighter weight, but if he was facing Roger that must have been at heavyweight? or 220?
1/28/11 11:05 AM
breakit

Edited: 01/28/11 11:10 AM

www.youtube.com/watch

I don't know how to embed, but it says Chim Chim was 97k Roger was 98k 
1/29/11 9:47 AM
XfcfitnesS

If you are in Brandon area come take a look at the new look the Xfc training facility. There are many great places and we definitely consider our new 7000. Square foot gym one of the best. We are have an Amatuer team which will help you get the experience you need. Call jean or Avery at 813-381-3811
1/29/11 10:30 AM
RickRude

Roger Gracie in the first round, might A's well call it a day...unless you're cyborg, popovitch, garcia... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.