UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Let's talk more poker

1/26/11 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 2+2 forums are great, but I think we can develop something really good here.

I promise to not overly defend the questionable (and even stupid) plays I tend to make, but in return please start posting more of your thoughts and insights.

Poker is a lonely road, imo. One thing I find difficult about tournaments is the fact that you arrive there on your own, play on your own, and really have no one to discuss hands with. That is starting to change a bit for me, as I'm playing quite a bit lately, but for the most part I really dont have people to talk poker with.

So have at it! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1/26/11 5:08 PM
The Dole Guy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started doing the 25/50 cent cash games with good success. As I've read on here and elsewhere they seem to be the easiest money. I used to play a fair amount of the 1/2/3 dollar re-buy tourneys but I can't really justify playing them anymore due to the turnover I get on cash games.

I'm pretty much playing cash games and narrowing it down to only 1 larger tourney a night whenever I play. Usually like 20 bucks. I'm thinking cash games and satellites only are going to be the norm for me in the near future.
1/26/11 5:35 PM
cadeswallows
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"poker is a lonely road"

andre u need a friend.

ok, ill be ur friend :)
1/26/11 5:41 PM
cadeswallows
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am experiencing my worst downswing ever and im seriously on the verge of quitting.

with that being said, b4 this month i was starting to beat 25/50 cent cash games also...getting killed this month though.

ive always beaten 25 for at least a couple big blinds.

maybe we can set up a sweat session or HH review and help each other out b4 i slit my wrists.

anybody interested???

gl all
1/26/11 6:58 PM
cadeswallows

hey dole guy, what site u playin at and how many tables do u usually play?
1/27/11 2:26 AM
wreckker
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am working longer hours than ever for less per hour iot sucks.......

Tourney wise im running bAD

Cash games not so good either...I play small and have a big edge skill wise but its boring as hell

55 hours this week 7 days of plo8 and small tournies..

11 houirs today for 300$ whoo hoo

I dont post on 2 plus 2 but I am happy to chat here cuz you guys are MMA fans and its all I give back to these forums.

Learn from others mistakes if you can..poker is expensive when you have to learn on your own....

Lets get poker ground going!

1/27/11 8:38 AM
alley
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, please critique my thought process with a TPTK type of hand.

I think I play weak-tight too much with TPTK. For instance, I tend to follow the 'small pot' rule with such hands, so that I fold the turn (or less often, the river) against raises. This assumes I've been the aggressor up to this point, such that the villain's bet or raise shows great strength.

The reason I fold so often is that I assume that it is worse to go all the way with a losing TPTK hand than it is to make multiple bad folds (i.e., getting bluffed out of the winning TPTK hand). For example, with $200 stack, with pot at say $50, you get raised on the turn for $50. If you call, pot is $150, and you have $150 left, so you're facing an all-in bet on the turn. Hence, if you call all the time, you're risking having to go all the way with TPTK often.

But if you fold all the time, people start to notice your bet flop / fold to turn aggression type of play. Everyone starts taking shots at you.

So... obviously you need to take a stand every now and then with TPTK hands. How do you figure out how often to do so? How do you choose when to fold TPTK to aggression, and how do you choose when to say 'fuck it, let's go'?

Hope this is clear... basically, I'm asking: what are your critieria for sticking with a TPTK hand against turn or river aggression? How often should you fold, how often should you go all the way? How do you choose when to fold, when to go all the way?
1/27/11 4:43 PM
cadeswallows

hey tito, in the spirit of a thread based on trying to helping one another, i dont see ur comments as being constructive. am i off base here???

TPTK? UGGGHH,sighh...

to many variables bro, cg or tourney??? in pos or oop? is flop drawy? who is villian? do we have history w villian? stakes/size of pot? live or online?? etc...

this situation is tuff for lots of people, not just u. especially when check razed on turn...classic line for a set.

gl, sorry not much help
1/28/11 12:59 PM
andre
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cadeswallows - "poker is a lonely road"

andre u need a friend.

ok, ill be ur friend :)

Awesome! Thanks!! Would be great to meet ya.
1/28/11 12:59 PM
andre

cadeswallows - i am experiencing my worst downswing ever and im seriously on the verge of quitting.

with that being said, b4 this month i was starting to beat 25/50 cent cash games also...getting killed this month though.

ive always beaten 25 for at least a couple big blinds.

maybe we can set up a sweat session or HH review and help each other out b4 i slit my wrists.

anybody interested???

gl all

I'm definitely interested.
1/28/11 11:35 PM
cadeswallows

just sent u a pm so that we can get something set up.
1/29/11 11:11 AM
alley
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cadeswallows - TPTK? UGGGHH,sighh...

to many variables bro, cg or tourney??? in pos or oop? is flop drawy? who is villian? do we have history w villian? stakes/size of pot? live or online?? etc...

Fair enough, I understand there are too many variables. Against a passive nit, I instafold; against a maniac I have to be willing to go all the way. But in the in-between area, I'm lost.

I suspect that it is better to make 3 or 4 bad folds, rather than going all the way once with an inferior hand (due to exponentially increasing bet sizes), but that 'feels' like a cowardly way to play. Weak/tight.

Thanks anyways. It's reassuring to know that there's no simple answer.
3/18/11 11:51 AM
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alley - 
cadeswallows - TPTK? UGGGHH,sighh...

Fair enough, I understand there are too many variables. Against a passive nit, I instafold; against a maniac I have to be willing to go all the way. But in the in-between area, I'm lost.

I suspect that it is better to make 3 or 4 bad folds, rather than going all the way once with an inferior hand (due to exponentially increasing bet sizes), but that 'feels' like a cowardly way to play. Weak/tight.

Thanks anyways. It's reassuring to know that there's no simple answer.

I like the way you express this and I deal with the same conflicting/trade-off debate within myself also.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.