UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Training a lazy dog?

1/26/11 10:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GODZILLA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently got a new pup(well, he is 6months). He is a blue nose APBT( born killer). He is an amazing dog and i have been enjoying having him. Zero dog aggression and just wants to cuddle(I realize this is just a tactic to lull me into a sense of security). The problem? He is a LAZY F@CK! I cant take him on my canyon runs because that might kill him, but Ive been trying to take him to the park and he just flat out quits after 3-4 laps. What can I do to motivate him and bring out his athletic spirit? This is the first APBT that Ive had or been in contact with that is this lazy. I googled "training a lazy dog" and "motivating a lazy dog" with barely in good feed back? Any help? Yes, I know, he just want to eat cake or CAKE will motivate him......You ARE HILARIOUS. Im looking for serious answers
3/1/11 11:55 AM
Caderona
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think the problem is that HE IS ONLY SIX MONTHS. he's still a puppy, puppies sleep a lot. generally, larger breeds shouldn't do anything too hardcore until they are 12-16 months, as it could cause damage (they are growing!). you probably didn't start running long distances without training first, and neither will your dog. i didn't start taking my APBT on long runs until after he was over a year old, because he's a mutant and such a large dog. he's three years old and 85 lbs and he can make it about 3.5 miles in moderate heat--and go for longer when it's cooler outside. try a google search on running/exercising your dog and see what age is appropriate and what strategies you could use for training your dog to run longer distances.
3/7/11 4:47 PM
GODZILLA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caderona, he is fine a runs forever off the leash now. As soon as he is back on the leash, he becomes Lazy boy again. Kind of frustrating but he is making progress.
3/10/11 1:26 AM
BadRed
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caderona offers some good advice. Let a 6 month old dog get all the exercise it wants but avoid "forced" exercise. No runs yet. Structurally it is asking for problems.

4/11/12 2:09 AM
Chris_G
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just noticed this thread,, whats up gabe?
So how's your pup doing? He should be fully matured by now and bones much stronger and suited for training,, just keep in mind a pit is never really going to be the best canyon running partner. All that muscle causes them to over heat quickly. I take my 1 yr old English Mastiff for hikes, walks but never on my runs.  Even with the hikes I always go in the early morning and take pleanty of water.  Heat exhaustion is really common and dangerous for pits/mastiffs and other larger breed dogs.

Post a pic.
4/11/12 2:15 AM
Chris_G
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's my buddy Renzo.
Photobucket

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.