UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Which is more important?

1/27/11 12:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrandCarey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honing your strengths or fixing your weaknesses?

This is something I go back and forth on in my mind. I know the eventual goal is to become well rounded but in the beginning should you pump up your advantages or try to round out your weakness?

Just interested in seeing everyone else's opinion.
1/27/11 3:53 PM
krept
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/11 3:55 PM
edit - mispost
1/28/11 10:32 AM
KELLY_Duzan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fixing your weaknesses....
is most important...
1/28/11 12:36 PM
BrandCarey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KELLY_Duzan - fixing your weaknesses....
is most important...

But if you don't have any strengths what good will that do?

See this is the thing I constantly debate with myself. On the one hand making your weakness not as much as a weakness makes you overall stronger.

But on the other hand if you don't hone your strength you don't really have a skill to fall back on.
1/28/11 1:20 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/11 1:20 PM
 Maintaining your strengths while filling your weaknesses in.

Are you refering to skills or to strength and conditioning? (applies to both, but I can give a better example if I know which.)

1/28/11 1:27 PM
BrandCarey

Bull_in_chinashop -  Maintaining your strengths while filling your weaknesses in.

Are you refering to skills or to strength and conditioning? (applies to both, but I can give a better example if I know which.)

Skills.

I guess a better way to word the questions is to give the example of someone starting MMA. They are a bit better at grappling than standup but not excellent at either. Should they focus on making their grappling a viable skill or catching their stand up with their ground game?

Obviously you want to keep doing both just wondering what everyone else thinks.
1/29/11 1:56 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMHO someone starting MMA shouldn't focus on specilization. It should be about learning basics and transitions and integration. When he has baseline skills then he should compliment this by additional specific skillset training.

2/4/11 5:21 PM
FGr1p63

Honing your strengths first like if youre strength is in grappling focus on it first then once youre good enough do the other thing.
3/26/11 11:27 AM
joweez

If your just starting out training then id say you really dont have any strengths yet. getting a good base in everything makes finding your strength and covering your weaknesses easier.
3/31/11 8:29 AM
KELLY_Duzan

Condition yourself through a regular exercise program
4/25/11 9:45 AM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You never saw Chuck Liddell hanging out on the ground working his guard. Don't try to be a jack of all trades, specialize in a few areas and strengthen your weaknesses only enough to keep the fight where you want it. Ex: Chuck strengthened his defensive grappling to keep the fight on the feet where he was best. Phone Post
4/25/11 12:10 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

lol@ thinking Chuck didn't train his guard.  Fighting in a style that keeps you in your best skill and strategy is one thing.  Being prepared for when a fight doesn't go as planned is exactly what keeps you safe so that you can get back into the fight.

4/25/11 8:01 PM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't say he didn't train his guard. But he certainly wasn't training his offensive guard all that much if at all. His defense was trained up to supplement his strengths. Phone Post
4/28/11 4:17 AM
Stoffer Inc

You build your game from your strengths.

Say your strength is chokes - you'll train them to perfect them. At the same time you need to address all your weakness' from your strength's point of view - meaning what do I need to do to get to a position where I can choke my opponent?

I'll guess it's about 30% work on your strengths and 70% on your weakness' because you'll have many different scenarios that you're "week" at and only a handful you are really good at
4/28/11 2:07 PM
jrrrrr
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 talk to your instructor, let him (or her) be your giude)
2 - ask your instructor what are the top three basic skill that you should focus on.
ask him why and how.
write them down and work them.

after whatever time period, go back to instructor and follow up and ask him (or her) same question...assuming the skill that you have focused on are better...ask same question and repeat process...

When you focus your time on basic skills and fundamentls, the weakness's have a tendency to disappear and your strnghts become better focused...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.