UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: Roger Gracie kicked my ass pretty bad

1/27/11 1:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

GSP was stopping through London in 2010 when he figured he would stop by Roger’s academy to test himself.

“I got my ass kicked pretty bad,” he said, deciding to stay on awhile an train some with Roger for his last fight, his second unanimous decision win over Josh Koscheck.

In 2011, the Canadian returned to help Roger  train for his Strikeforce fight against Trevor Prangley.

“Roger is really good at taking the fight where he wants it – to the ground. He’s much better than people think. He’s not just a Jiu-Jitsu guy. Roger is a true MMA fighter,” said GSP in praise.

Read entire article...

1/27/11 1:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kumite4
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/11 1:52 PM
 Raising my eyebrow now

Not to mention Roger is a bit larger than GSP
1/27/11 1:52 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  I wouldn't expect anything less when he rolls with Roger seeing as how Roger is one of the best if not the best BJJ guy in the world.

1/27/11 1:52 PM
Daverr

Roger looks like crap in mma to me
1/27/11 1:54 PM
Ecko Unltd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ecko Unltd, sponsor
Daverr - 
Roger looks like crap in mma to me

He is just getting used to it

From what I understand, he has insane grappling strength, even though it doesn't look like it.

I have never rolled with him (because that would go well...) but that is what I hear.
1/27/11 1:58 PM
UNIFIEDTEAM1
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^^
Well as we all know there is weight room strength and then there is "mat strenth." I've trained w/ many guys that were black belts in bjj but were relatively un-athletic in the weight room yet they felt crazy strong.
1/27/11 1:58 PM
Daverr

Of course his grappling is of the charts, im just saying that always doesn't transfer to mma. My prediction is that in his case, it will not, but who knows. I think Prangley is going to beat him pretty easily.
1/27/11 2:02 PM
Ecko Unltd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ecko Unltd, sponsor
Daverr - 
Of course his grappling is of the charts, im just saying that always doesn't transfer to mma. My prediction is that in his case, it will not, but who knows. I think Prangley is going to beat him pretty easily.

Prangley is a very interesting matchup for him

Prangley is a sick wrestler with a very good top game. Kennedy subbed him, but that was only because Kennedy outwrestled him. I don't think Roger will outwrestle him (or at the very least, he will have difficulty getting him down)

I think Prangley has the power and technique advantage on the feet, but I have no idea how long it will last on the feet.

Its not like if it hits the ground, Prangley doesn't know what to do. He is a tough tough top game guy, especially in MMA. Roger will have to be defending GnP while looking for the sub.

I love this matchup. It will show us where Roger is in terms of MMA
1/27/11 2:29 PM
seek

"Roger looks like crap in mma to me"

There isn't always a correlation between looking good when fighting and winning..... Roger is still winning in MMA!

;)
1/27/11 2:36 PM
AlphaSlap
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UNIFIEDTEAM1 - ^^^^^^
Well as we all know there is weight room strength and then there is "mat strenth." I've trained w/ many guys that were black belts in bjj but were relatively un-athletic in the weight room yet they felt crazy strong.

Roger tore Drysdales new gi during a competition, that is strong IMO.
1/27/11 2:57 PM
dogfb
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GodSaveTheQueen - British Jiu-Jitsu > Canadian metrosexuality

Canadians still have the Queen on our money. Why all the hate?
1/27/11 3:06 PM
disbeliever
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  I wouldn't expect anything less when he rolls with Roger seeing as how Roger is one of the best if not the best BJJ guy in the world.
1/27/11 3:09 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why MMA matches should be fought in jeans and Tapout t-shirts, simulating real urban combat conditions.

There's nobody I'm more excited to see compete than Roger.
1/27/11 3:12 PM
Canada_88
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dogfb - 
GodSaveTheQueen - British Jiu-Jitsu > Canadian metrosexuality

Canadians still have the Queen on our money. Why all the hate?

hes still jsut a little butthurt after Hardy lost to GSP, GSTQ is good peoples and is likely just joking around.
1/27/11 3:14 PM
HELWIG
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive had guys, who are so good at BJJ that totally out of shape they can destroy professional UFC level athletes on the mat, tell me that Roger beats EVERYONE in training so bad that they have to point to parts on a doll to show the cops where he hurt them.

Since Roger reached his SSJ 5 level in BJJ how many people have even been able to be competitive with him? Im not talking stall and then play for an out of bounds takedown, but actually competitive?

Jacare was. His amazing strength and athleticism along with elite skill enabled him to be.

Margarida gave him a great match and passed his guard.

???

Even no gi in ADCC he's been just taking lives.

1/27/11 3:22 PM
fhk2

Of course he will lose if he rolls with Roger, Roger is 2 x his size...I would expect that same thing to happen if he rolled with Jacare, Marcelo, Cyborb......

I am sure this wasnt a wrestling or boxing match!
1/27/11 3:24 PM
FleurDeBeast

I wonder....roger is 6'4 205 lol thats a scary dude, and he's a Gracie Phone Post
1/27/11 3:29 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prangley is a TOUGH fight for anyone. Good test for Roger.
1/27/11 3:31 PM
BJJkilla
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's not surprising roger owned GSP in grappling, roger is the best grappler in the world.
1/27/11 3:38 PM
sanguine cynic

I hope Roger doesn't get too comfortable on the feet.
1/27/11 4:07 PM
NTXMMAjunky
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roger is a beast on the ground. One of my favorites. He will make Prangley tap. I know Prangley is a solid wrestler and had been in the game for a long time but Rogers ground game is leaps and bounds over prangleys. Roger will win and my guess is Roger is going to have a very big year in MMA. His stand up will improve and he will be a big threat in this weight class by the end of the year(in my mind he already is). Phone Post
1/27/11 4:14 PM
Caught_clean
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roger isn't "one" of the best BJJ guys, he simply is the best BJJ guy right now period. Can he transfer it over to MMA like guys like Maia have etc? So far not bad, but this is a serious test for him. So much potential, but it may be to soon, but we will see.
1/27/11 4:26 PM
salmonstinks
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@Helwig

I lol'd at "point to parts on a doll to show the cops where he hurt them."
1/27/11 4:26 PM
jerky66

Roger Gracie is the Best BJJ guy in the world. Wrestling means nothing when matched up against that level of BJJ. That is why most wrestlers try to stay the hell off the ground when going up against a guy of that caliber. Where Prangley's wrestling might do some good is keeping the fight standing. If he can use his wrestling to do that he may do okay.

On the GSP thing. Of course he has problems with Roger since Roger is a lot bigger and GSP has probably not trained with a lot of guys with that level of BJJ.
1/27/11 4:28 PM
billy914
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree that Roger is simply the best at BJJ. Lately, he has been completely untouchable. There is no one that is better at submission grappling than him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.