UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Forrest Griffin Admits "I'm a little more nervous"

1/27/11 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Radio Raheem
1325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

....For his fight against Franklin. Story courtesy of Mike Chiappetta at www.mmafighting.com

Forrest Griffin has had his fair share of the spotlight and big moments. He's been UFC light-heavyweight champion, and faced some of the heaviest hitters in MMA, including Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Anderson Silva. But for his upcoming UFC 126 fight with Rich Franklin, Griffin admits his nerves are likely to be a little bit more on edge than normal. That's because Griffin will be putting his body to the test for the first time since Nov. 2009.

Returning from long-needed shoulder surgery, Griffin will come back against an opponent who is coming off an injury timeout of his own. Franklin will be making his first start back from a broken arm.

"For me, being off for a year, that's huge," Griffin said in a Thursday teleconference. "It's a weird feeling, I'm a little more nervous than usual. During this year I've had spurts of really good training when I thought I was going to fight. The big thing is going to be that first minute, and making that adjustment, getting back in there. This is the longest break I've had in fighting since 2000, so it's weird."

Officially, Griffin had a longer break between his last non-UFC fight and his debut in the finals of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, but that's only because the fights during the reality show's taping do not count as official bouts. Aside from that, the longest layoff of his career had been just short of 10 months between beating Rua and then defeating Jackson for the championship. Ironically, that layoff was also due to a shoulder surgery.

Griffin (17-6) has a reputation as a gym rat due to the long hours of training he puts in, and though he sees the potential benefits of time away from training, he was forced out of the gym for much longer than he's comfortable with. His troubles were compounded by a false start; eight weeks after surgery he began workouts, only to realize he wasn't quite yet ready to put his body through what he would demand of it. That forced him back to the sidelines for another three weeks off.

"It sucks," he said. "It's nice to get to do other things and not really worry about fighting. It's mentally refreshing. But physically, a good break every now and then is great for your body. But it was too long. Too long without competing. I don't know. This is the most ring rust I've ever had. I'm not excited about it. I'm definitely going to fight more."

Shoulder problem have unfortunately affected Griffin for years. The first such injury was originally suffered in 2006 and first addressed in 2007 with surgery. There is some concern the problem could recur, but Griffin won't know for sure how it will respond until he and Franklin get down to business.

He said that during his time away, the only time his absence really bothered him was during fight weekends, when others competing and thought to himself, "I should be doing that," but it's only made him more excited about getting back in the octagon, or as he says, "just that feeling of being home."

As for facing the former middleweight champ, Griffin thinks the bout has the makings of a classic.

"If you look at the way Rich fights and you look at the way I fight, all the ingredients for a great fight are there," he said. "So, you just hope it comes together and it's the fight you think it can be."
Tags: Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, UFC 126
1/27/11 7:33 PM
LColson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait for this fight...WAR FORREST!!!
1/27/11 8:14 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1936 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should be...

:)
1/27/11 9:42 PM
Poindexter
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough fight for Griffin. He's gotta go in with a game plan similar to the Rampage fight. The problem is, Franklin is more dynamic and won't slow down the way Rampage did as the fight goes on. And he'll check leg kicks.
1/27/11 10:19 PM
Brainscan

If Forrest was fucking....maybe syphilis time would be rockin and rollin!!!! Phone Post
1/27/11 10:48 PM
Radio Raheem
1325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -  He should be...

:)

QFT
1/28/11 10:38 AM
GoGo GadgetPlata

CRE sighting in 5.4.3.2.
1/28/11 10:58 AM
BrandCarey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just do not think Forrest's heart is in it as much anymore. Every interview he seems to have less faith and confidence in himself. Maybe he just isn't as hungry anymore because he has been to the pinnacle and has made a significant amount of money.

Either way I think Franklin wants it more and should be able to pull this out. Even though I'd rather see Forrest take it's better to be honest with myself.
1/28/11 10:58 AM
Mike Honcho

RIP Forrest, might get cut after this loss ouch.
1/28/11 10:59 AM
TexDeuce
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a pre-emptive excuse Phone Post
1/28/11 11:08 AM
BrockbackMountain
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/11 11:08 AM
150k - 
GhostofaWarrior - I love how people underestimate forest griffin. I have such a strong feeling that I put up 40% of my weekly income on it. Forrest by leg kick

Forrest has the second biggest heart in MMA, but Franklin is first.

Truth

Franklin never quits. You have to flat line him.

Forrest will break. 
1/28/11 11:16 AM
Freakin 10er
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta love Forrest's honesty, hopefully Bader and Jones can make this card worth watching
1/28/11 11:52 AM
buckshot44
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin by decision.
1/28/11 12:08 PM
PettisIsTheBestest
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin all day bishes...
1/28/11 12:20 PM
FSMA

Rich is going to send Forrest running like Silva did.
1/28/11 12:26 PM
rushinbear
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin takes this one.
1/28/11 12:27 PM
Kanye loves fishdicks
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like both of em, gonna bet on Forrest though, he fights better when he's got nothing to lose(silva aside) Phone Post
1/28/11 12:29 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1774 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guy has a sleeve in his chest cavity. Gotta like the transparency.
1/28/11 1:01 PM
soldierdad5417

Forrest is gonna make a run at the title after beating Franklin.
1/28/11 11:13 PM
PettisIsTheBestest
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soldierdad5417 -  Forrest is gonna make a run for the exit after his beating from Franklin.

fixed that up a little...
1/29/11 8:55 AM
soldierdad5417

PettisIsTheBestest - 
soldierdad5417 -  Forrest is gonna make a run for the exit after his beating from Franklin.

fixed that up a little...

LOL, well played. Well played.
1/29/11 9:24 AM
Melvinator86

WHERE ARE YOU CRE! YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! WAR FRANKLIN!!!!! Phone Post
2/6/11 2:53 AM
frankiscool
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AHAHAHAHAHHAA...

*calls Forrest*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.