UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Bruce was pretty darned FIT i tell ya.

1/27/11 7:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
1153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/11 7:57 PM

When I grow up, I wanna be like Bruce Lee.
1/27/11 10:11 PM
nakmuay26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was all due to the Chuck Norris Action Jeans he's sporting in that picture.

1/27/11 10:43 PM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

96% of most Chinese guys look like that. Or they would it they trained like Bruce and had his genetics.
1/28/11 10:44 AM
FatBuddha
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn, yeah he was
1/29/11 5:50 AM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P90x...seriously.
1/29/11 1:49 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The truth is, you can't really judge fitness by BF%. Lots of skinny, cut dudes who are not in good aerobic shape.

We were at the pool the other day and some really trim, fit looking black dude, must have been about 25, tried to swim a lap. He nearly drowned, though he had a reasonable looking crawl technique. He didn't make the full lap. Yes, it's part technique, but he just wasn't in shape though he looked great, just as cut as that pic of BL.

What's key is genetics, mitochondrial density, vascularity (capillarization), lactate clearance and muscle fiber type.

We've already seen that big, bodybuilder types are not good fighters. Arnold was one of the worst athletes ever - even with extensive training he could not weld the Conan sword convincingly and in 'True Lies' never could 'dance the tango' with Jamie Leigh Curtis even with extensive lessons.

$0.02
1/30/11 4:00 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arnold's tango wasn't THAT bad.  His carriage is good and he was on the beat.  That's better than a lot of men out there.
3/20/11 8:45 AM
nightz

keseki - 96% of most Chinese guys look like that. Or they would it they trained like Bruce and had his genetics.

This sounds like 96% of the b/s comments we read on the web
3/20/11 8:46 AM
nightz

WidespreadPanic - The truth is, you can't really judge fitness by BF%. Lots of skinny, cut dudes who are not in good aerobic shape.

We were at the pool the other day and some really trim, fit looking black dude, must have been about 25, tried to swim a lap. He nearly drowned, though he had a reasonable looking crawl technique. He didn't make the full lap. Yes, it's part technique, but he just wasn't in shape though he looked great, just as cut as that pic of BL.

What's key is genetics, mitochondrial density, vascularity (capillarization), lactate clearance and muscle fiber type.

We've already seen that big, bodybuilder types are not good fighters. Arnold was one of the worst athletes ever - even with extensive training he could not weld the Conan sword convincingly and in 'True Lies' never could 'dance the tango' with Jamie Leigh Curtis even with extensive lessons.

$0.02

There's wide spread evidence of people who sparred and trained with him. He was the real deal.
3/20/11 7:26 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"There's wide spread evidence of people who sparred and trained with him. He was the real deal."

This is patently ridiculous. Every single McDojo karate instructor could give you a long list of "people who trained and sparred with him," all of whom would tell you how deadly said instructor is.
3/24/11 7:32 AM
Ezekiel

Yeah but there are multiple interviews with fighters like inasanto, Joe Lewis, chuck norris, and Wally jay who sparred or saw Bruce fight Phone Post
3/24/11 4:56 PM
HEMAN

Inosanto was not a fighter.
Joe Lewis has never sparred with Bruce Lee.
Chuck Norris never sparred full contact with Bruce Lee. They did have no contact play sparring I read in Chuck's book.
Jhoon Rhee played sparred with Bruce.
Never read anything about Wally Jay sparring Bruce Lee.
From my knowledge, Bruce sparred his students Ted Wong, James Lee and Herb Jackson.
3/26/11 1:48 AM
John Frankl

Thank you Heman for saving me from having to type the 5 most obvious lines of my life.
3/26/11 2:45 PM
WidespreadPanic

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Joe Lewis, Chuck and Mike Stone all were highly respectful of this little guy and they would not have been so if he was not all he claimed to be and more. They were typically possessed of pretty big egos. Had BL been a paper tiger they would not have wanted to train with him.

Though he might not have fared well as a cage fighter, given some of the rule constraints, he was very good in standing start SD venues. He was about 2-3x faster than a normal athletic type, registering 0.05 to 0.08 seconds on the reflex pad, whereas others were in the 0.18-0.25 second range. In addition Dan relates that BL could put his fingers into an old style heavy soda can when they were made of steel, and put a dent into a heavy gauge wire fencing mask with a backfist.

These are trait which would make him quite formidable in standing-start self-defense applications. His chin was not tested in KO-style sparring, but this has little bearing on how dangerous he could be.

In email communication with Jesse Glover several years ago he related to me that watching BL on film was nothing like standing in front of him as he came at you and he said it was actually frightening. Jesse is not easily daunted.

$0.02

3/26/11 3:20 PM
bkprice661

A few of Bruces students were long time boxers, some had pretty good records in the ring.

Leo Fong was a good boxer, Demile was an undefeated Army Champion. Several others students had trained in boxing. All of these people sparred with Bruce and have admitted Bruce beat them.

Bruce was no superman but he could fight. Your view of Bruce generally says more about you then it does him, secure fighters tend to respect him for what he was trying to do and his work ethic.

Bruce was also in shape by the way, read his typical training schedule and it gets clear he was in top shape.
3/26/11 3:45 PM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw, bruce was part german on his mom side. That's why 95% of Chinese guys don't have his physique... Phone Post
3/27/11 6:48 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/11 6:48 PM
chitownbjj - Btw, bruce was part german on his mom side. That's why 95% of Chinese guys don't have his physique... Phone Post

I would say 95% of Chinese guys don't have his physique because of the following:

*They were not obsessively compulsive about attaining such a physique.

*They were not taking steroids.

*They have normal sensibilities in which they care about their wives and children above fame, fortune, career etc. and actually sacrifice training time to spend time with them and develop nurturing patterns of behavior in the most fundamental relationships in their lives.

To attain and maintain such a physique would require "extraordinary measures and a compulsive preoccupation" with oneself.

Bruce Lee's father was an actor. Bruce Lee was a child actor. He was a philosophy major. He was a dancer. He was a filmmaker and a movie star. He was an innovator in his thinking towards martial arts.

Bruce Lee never wanted to be a fighter. He DID ALL THAT HE SET OUT TO DO. So if being a Joe Lewis or a Mike Tyson was on the list he would have done it (understanding his propensity for obsessive preoccupation).

There is always an emotional preference when we discuss legends like Bruce Lee. It's understandable. If he were coming up through the ranks today it would all play out totally different IMO.

Why do I make these points? Simply for realities sake. Not to hurt anyones feelings or make myself look smart. I'm an idiot.

The BEST shape YOU can get into is the shape that YOU can get into WITHOUT drugs or obsessive preoccupation (because you have to maintain it once you get there).

Anyones ABILITY to fight would be based on historical evidence. Anyones POTENTIAL to fight is based on the totality of the circumstances.

Height, weight, exclusion of (or over emphasis of) certain techniques or ranges of combat, age etc all play into it.

I remember when I was a kid and I went to see Enter The Dragon. I was 5 years old. There was a guy at the movie theater who told me that "after watching Bruce Lee he believed that nun-chucks were the greatest weapon ever conceived. And he could beat a guy with a gun every time if he had nun-chucks. I had another guy tell me the same thing about 5 years ago...

It's FUN to suspend reality when we watch movies. It's problematic at best if we do it full time in regards to reality in general...

Demi
www.DemiBarbito.com
3/27/11 7:57 PM
John Frankl

Well put, Demi. But I do have one question....

"It's FUN to suspend reality when we watch movies. It's problematic at best if we do it full time in regards to reality in general..."

Do you mean to tell me that Clint Eastwood is not the best gunfighter of all time? I'm in tears over this one.
3/28/11 11:04 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John,

You realize they picked Matt Damon for The Bourne Identity because he is a killing machine in real life...???
3/28/11 7:52 PM
HEMAN

"I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Joe Lewis, Chuck and Mike Stone all were highly respectful of this little guy and they would not have been so if he was not all he claimed to be and more. They were typically possessed of pretty big egos. Had BL been a paper tiger they would not have wanted to train with him."

Agreed. HOWEVER, most trainers are not great fighters. Freddy Roach is a great trainer however he wasn't a great fighter. Bruce was respected because of his ability to breakdown movements and help the game of the mention fighters to win tourneys.

"Though he might not have fared well as a cage fighter, given some of the rule constraints, he was very good in standing start SD venues. He was about 2-3x faster than a normal athletic type, registering 0.05 to 0.08 seconds on the reflex pad, whereas others were in the 0.18-0.25 second range. In addition Dan relates that BL could put his fingers into an old style heavy soda can when they were made of steel, and put a dent into a heavy gauge wire fencing mask with a backfist"

I agree. Bruce seem to focus his training on self defense. Kind of a Tony Blauer type within RBSD. However, all indications after that venture was to commit himself 100% to movie/television acting.

No disrespect to Bruce. It's just that his focus had change to being a bad ass to being a movie star and making enuf money to buy a gun to SETTLE WITH.

3/29/11 12:43 PM
WidespreadPanic

IMO, the best analysis is based on the venue.

Just like Bob Munden could beat everyone to the draw. it's cut and dried, actually, in a 'slam bang, instant SD situation'. First guy to eye jab wins. BL had circus performer-like talent in his specialty.

Likewise, Bob probably knew little about clearing a crack house with a SWAT team. Different venue. But he was famous for what he did and any gun nut knows and is in awe of him, (despite his huge pot belly).

3/29/11 9:00 PM
John Frankl

Edited: 03/29/11 9:00 PM
"First guy to eye jab wins"

So not true?
3/29/11 11:40 PM
markijkd

Who had proof BL did steroids?

M...
3/30/11 11:54 AM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bruce did this....bruce didn't do that....bruce wasn't that good as a fighter....bruce was an actor first and foremost...blah blah blah

whatever his "importance" was/wasn't...can anyone remember seeing a submission move in a movie before the armbar on Sammo Hung in 'Enter the Dragon' or the arm triangle on Kareem in 'Game of Death'?

secondly, did you yourself get into martial arts because of Bruce?
3/30/11 3:14 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Someone reminded me this morning that the first movie fight scenes I saw as a kid were Bruce's films. 

I suppose it's quite likely that I started training because of those movies. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.