UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Bruce was pretty darned FIT i tell ya.

3/31/11 4:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Chitownbjj.

You're absolutely right--Bruce showcased grappling early on, and Bruce got a lot of people into martial arts.

Two more cool contributions that have absolutely nothing to do with his ability as a fighter, and which were only possible precisely because he was primarily an actor.

If Bruce hadn't dedicated himself to fake fighting on the big screen, many of us would never have seen those inspiring scenes.
3/31/11 7:24 AM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John: what do you think would satisfactorily prove that bruce was/wasnt a capable fighter? We are on a subforum named JKD so I guess it's pretty good for an actor no? Phone Post
3/31/11 2:40 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YES... I started training precisely because I watched Enter The Dragon and Way Of The Dragon...

I was just a boy...

I thought to myself, "Wow, this movie!!!"

Then I studied every BL movie I could and thought "OK, this movie is no longer just a movie"...

After I started to learn to fight I learned that "Yep, those movies were just movies".

Nobody needs to defend BL. He was a big star with lot's of accomplishments. His name has survived even longer than he did. I think the spirit of what he did was very fun and revolutionary.

What has happened, beyond some feeling the need to defend him, is that many attempt to deify him. This is a mistake of the first order. According to BL we should absorb what is useful and then move on.

Way Of The Dragon was written by Bruce Lee and he did some of the music and he co-wrote The Big Boss.

He also wrote and Directed Game Of Death.

He really was fanatical about movie making and martial arts. He wasn't fanatical about fighting. BUT SO WHAT?
3/31/11 2:56 PM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the original thread "Bruce was pretty darned FIT i tell ya." somehow devolved into people deifying Bruce or his fighting ability?
4/2/11 5:27 PM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chitownbjj - So the original thread "Bruce was pretty darned FIT i tell ya." somehow devolved into people deifying Bruce or his fighting ability?

It was leading there. Been on numerous forums and it all leads to the same thing...that Bruce Lee would kill anyone in even MMA guys. LOL. I have no problems with people stating facts about Bruce Lee...but once they start stating how he sparred this guy or fought this guy or could beat this guy...I just disagree and state why.

All in all Bruce was inspirational for those who first saw martial arts and led the way to it's popularity. However...so did Sylvester Stallone in rocky led the rise of higher enrollment to boxing.
4/2/11 6:02 PM
chitownbjj

Good thing i stay mainly on the ATAMA bjj forum. Enjoy yourself gents. Phone Post
4/3/11 12:46 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/21/11 7:48 AM
>
5/12/11 9:57 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WidespreadPanic - The truth is, you can't really judge fitness by BF%. Lots of skinny, cut dudes who are not in good aerobic shape.

We were at the pool the other day and some really trim, fit looking black dude, must have been about 25, tried to swim a lap. He nearly drowned, though he had a reasonable looking crawl technique. He didn't make the full lap. Yes, it's part technique, but he just wasn't in shape though he looked great, just as cut as that pic of BL.

I question whether his swimming is a good indication of his aerobic capability. I find swimming to be largely technical... partly mental (able to relax in the water, etc...), and then aerobic.

A guy I know was having trouble stringing a couple laps together one week, and then ran his second Boston Marathon the next.
5/13/11 2:52 PM
BigSifu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitness aside,I think Bruce Lee's biggest contribution to martial arts was telling people to find their own way,and explore the truth. However,our own awareness on this wouldn't exist without Dan Inosanto. He coined one of my favorites-"REC-Research,Experiment,Create"...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.