UnderGround Forums

Florida Underground >> ALL FLORIDA BJJ OPEN MARCH 19TH DELAND FLORIDA!!!!

3/14/11 7:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Todd Cutler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets keep the registratin coming!
3/15/11 3:35 PM
supreme1

ttt for great absolutes should be some great guys
3/18/11 9:52 AM
ak 47
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt weigh ins tonight
3/18/11 1:32 PM
vagner ceara

I hope everyone will be coming to the tournament and the Seminar on Sunday at Todd's school !! Anyone else planning on coming to the Absolutes ??
3/18/11 9:44 PM
dawley
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Alley, Florida, Co-Owner
 Ill be there....but what time does the compitition start?
3/19/11 5:06 PM
mattbatson

Well, just got back from the event and I have to say they need to work on their organization of that event.
fighters, after weigh in's, were told fights started at 10am.
Well, come 11am and fights hadnt started yet.

Then, they did pretty much ALL of the Gi fights first, making the no Gi fighters stand around until 3pm. Our two fighters didnt fight until after 3pm, and one had to miss work cause his fight was so late in the day.
They had four ref's running four bouts at the same time (well, most of the time, sometimes only two at once), so there was no reason they couldnt have done no gi at the same time as gi.
At the big bjj event at disney they run both gi and no gi at same time, so nobody is standing around for 4 or 5 hours waiting to fight.
This is just a suggestion, but if i dont have good info that things have changed, I know the next time I wont be attending a dela riva event in the future.

just my 2 cents
3/19/11 9:03 PM
DE LA RIVA CUP

Hey Sr ... Iam sorry that happend , is hard to RUN no-gi the same time as GI just fpr the fact people that are doing GI wants also to do NO-GI, hope that asnwer ur question !!! Since ur not happy ill comp u on my event JUN 4th !!!! Shoot me an email delarivacup@gmail.com ill be happy to take care of u just make sure if u gonna do only no gi get there after 2 pm, Disney tournment is not even close to the ammount of people that a BJJ tornment have , if u compete at NAGA is the same way, just they do GI first, i work for them and see people complaining all the time about wait, thats how it is in a BJJ tournment . Thanks ill be waiting for ur email . Congrats to Florida bjj open promoter Todd Cutler , tournment was great and smooth, Phone Post
3/19/11 9:08 PM
DE LA RIVA CUP

For the amount of competitors they had they were done at 4:00 pm thats good time !!!!! Phone Post
3/19/11 9:24 PM
dawley
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Alley, Florida, Co-Owner
 I liked the tournament!  only two complaints...the no speaker made it VERY difficult to hear announcements.  and why, my God why, was there sooo much sand on the mats!  hahaha i have sand rash all over my neck and shoulders.   But it was ran fairly smoothly. 
3/20/11 7:26 AM
DE LA RIVA CUP

Making clear, Phone Post
3/20/11 7:29 AM
DE LA RIVA CUP

We were just there helping out our good friend Todd Cutler, all promps go to him on putting that event on his own !!!! @ Dawley, lol at the sand, i guess you guys were too close to the beach !!!! Phone Post
3/20/11 10:57 AM
JHalpin82
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All in all I think the tournament ran pretty good. From what I saw the refs were great and did their jobs.(we have all seen or experienced some crappy refs). There was food available and places to sit. Tournaments are sometimes physically and mentally draining but they are events that we all train hard for, you should be prepared and have the mentality to be there all day. Most of the time that's just how it is. No matter how many tournaments Todd or anyone holds each one is trial and error. This one was better then the last one and the next one will be better than this one. The tournament was good! Yes it was all day, but so was every other tournament that I have ever been to. NAGA I weigh in at 9:30 and didn't compete till about 6:30. Anyways, congrats to everyone that competed and anyone that had anything to do with the tournament. I'll be at the next one. Phone Post
3/20/11 3:40 PM
Todd Cutler

Thanks to everyone that came and supported the tournament. Like anything the sad thing is you cant satisfy everyone. There was some things i coud not control there was dust all over the parking lot and grass walking in and it blew from peoples shoes i couldnt stop the tournament and mop mats again.. The gi and no gi is NEVER gonna run together because bjj is in a gi.... Gi first then no gi the best grapplers do both. Special thanks to Rafa Santos for helping run and to all my refs! Last the next one will be back in Daytona and will be much better! Also thanks to Vagner for hanging out in Daytona coming in this sunday morning after winning the absolute yesterday to come in and train with me and do a seminar for my students.... Tournament great seminar and training pretty good weekend...
3/20/11 6:07 PM
djmackocean11

Probably the best tournament that me and my team have done together. ttt to Todd and De La Riva. and @mattbatson, you obviously have never been to too many bjj tournaments. i have been to many of them and in several states and have yet to find one that does no gi before gi or one that you dont play waiting games with. No gi guys always have to wait to compete after gi, remember its a bjj tournament not a wrestling one.
3/20/11 8:28 PM
ak 47
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every tournament involves waiting. Todd did a great job with this tournament. Always an awesome time had by everyone that competed from our team. I definitely love the weigh ins at different locations the night before made getting in much easier. Props Todd and all of the competitors.
3/21/11 4:33 PM
SORT14

I agree with Todd, AK and dj- all tournaments have some waiting around involved. Im sure those guys did a great job, just as they have in other tournaments I have been too in the past. I didn't get to this one, but I will be sure to make sure my team is at the next one in Daytona.
3/21/11 6:17 PM
mattbatson

some waiting isnt what I was disappointed about, it was a lot of waiting.
Even the gi fighters who were also fighting no gi, all went before the no gi fighters.
If this was the case, and the organizers knew this ahead of time, then at weigh ins at 8 am they could have very easily told the no gi fighters that their fights were going to be dead last and not for about 7 hours?
However, with 4 different rings and judges, why did all of those rings have to be gi? Why couldnt one of them been used for no gi? Just one?

Well, I think Todd alluded to it in his earlier post when he stated that the better fighters get to go first (implying gi fighters are better). This basically tells me that at his tournaments the no gi fighters are treated as second class citizens, all back of the bus and shit.

Sooo, me and my teammates will probably just go to other tournaments instead, like the disney one mentioned earlier, where no gi and gi were run at the same time.

This only makes sense from our standpoint...of all of the grappling events in this area, why go to the ones that make us wait all day?
There are plenty to choose from, so we would go to the ones that make the best use of our time. Make sense?
3/21/11 10:11 PM
ak 47

Matt- I realize this is not my place but you should really reread Todd's post. He didn't say anything implying that no-gi was sub-par by any means to gi. He said"the best grapplers do both" implying something that alot of people know and understand that alot of the good grapplers do both styles of grappling. Every tournament I've ever been to has run the gi and no-gi seperate. It is so the guys and gals have a chance to compete in both. But obviously you have your heart set on either being right or being stubborn about it. Just take a breathe, most of the tournaments are gonna have the same setup. Maybe some things could have been slightly different. But depending on how all of the divisions go no one really knows a set timeline b/c of number of competitors, match lengths etc. So maybe just take a moment and give the tournament another chance next time.
3/22/11 7:55 AM
breakit

Let me preface this by saying I was not at this tournament.  However, people are correct in saying gi and no gi are done seperately.  Can you imagine having to compete in both divisions at the same time?  Put the gi on for a match, take it off for the next, put it back on again for the next.  That is not even accounting for not being able to recover between divisions.
3/22/11 8:55 AM
Todd Cutler

Edited: 03/22/11 8:57 AM
Listen to all that came i appreciate the support i really do. Listen i have been doing bjj for 16 years. All my best friends i have met through jiu jitsu and tournaments like this one. It is my goal to spread bjj to everyone and provide a tournament to showcase florida grappling talent and help the novice and beg grappler alike. What i am saying is. Nogi gi they are to different competitions apples are not better than oranges they are both good but different and most of your world champions grapplers and great grapplers do both. Listen no tournament is perfect but people doing gi need a break and a chance to rest and should be able to do both. Some things could have been done bettter the pa system didnt make it to the venue but as far as anyone getting treated like second class citizens that is bs. Listen Due to not many people enetering the main absolute we came up with one. I talked with Vagner we decided to do ONLY ONE ABSOLUTE a NO GI absolute which Vagner won but in the first round he wrestled one of my very own purple belt students Dukes who just wrestled the finals of a purple belt gi absolute 5 minutes earlier! I am sorry to him and the people who wanted to do the gi absolute.. I try my best and god knows i have the best intentions in my heart. You guys keep training hard and thanks..... Todd
3/22/11 5:15 PM
mattbatson

okay, I think I misunderstood the statement earlier...
I guess I understand that the gi fighters need a chance to rest.
I did notice that when the no gi stuff started, and all the no gi guys started getting excited that they were going to get in the ring....that the first no gi fights were fought by guys who had fought gi earlier. This really seemed unfair. This added to my impression that the no gi guys were getting treated differently.

I would think that you could do it where no gi was run at the same time. Lets say one of the first no gi fights was in the 155 beg division...with two no gi only guys competing, and two guys who are fighting in both no gi and gi...so 4 total.
Hold the first bout in that division, no gi, first thing in one of the four rings. The two guys who are fighting in both cant fight because their gi fights are going on about the same time. So, after the first bout between the two no gi guys, just wait until later to finish off that division when the gi fighters have time to rest and change.
In the meantime you can hold no gi fights in other divisions, like 180 lb intermediate, for instance.

Maybe this will make the organizers job more difficult, I dont know.
But, it would make a much nicer event for the no gi fighters.

I just think it is something to consider...
Just
3/22/11 6:34 PM
djmackocean11

is the disney tournament the only one you have ever been to? lol
3/23/11 7:47 AM
Gomrad
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I have only been to one grappling tournament in my life (Daytona Open last Fall, Todd ran a great event and I was impressed with the turnout), I have coached and competed in 100's if not a 1,000 wrestling tournaments around the (local, state, national levels) over the past 25 years. One thing is always for sure no matter how a tournament is run there are always people with criticism. As long as it is constructive it can be a positive way to share ideas to make future events better. There is a ton of work that can go unnoticed and unappreciated (paperwork, insurance, permits, ordering awards, facility rentals, hauling mats, securing workers, officials, set-up, keeping bathrooms clean, concessions, vendors, breakdown, answer the same 1,000 questions all day, dealing with pissed off spectators, athletes, moms, dads, uncle rico who was a champion in the 80's and could run a better event, etc....). My hats off to Todd and anyone else who does all of this work to allow folks the opportunity to compete. I really wanted to go this past weekend but child care and time constraints did not allow....

I have a suggestion that might be able to be implemented in the future at the smaller local tournaments. If there was a second weigh-in for nogi only competitors who didn't do the day before weigh-in, possibly (12:00pm-12:30pm). If this group (small as it may be for now) knew that was their only window I am sure they could make it and feel better about spending 3-4 hours (instead of 8-12 hours) to get in a few matches. I think the numbers of participants would grow and more of these guys (lets be honest mostly former wrestlers) would be inclined to possibly put on a gi, this would help the sport continue grow in the state. I realize a later weigh-in creates distractions and could be looked at as a hassle, maybe make that group preregistration only (which is always good for the event). If this idea is considered for future events don't look at it as catering to one group or another but as providing a better product which will bring participant numbers up....
3/25/11 8:37 AM
Phil Cardella
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We are running a tournament April 2nd at the North Florida University! www.NFGracie.com check it out, please attend if you can!
4/3/11 6:10 PM
djmackocean11

any updates on the ranked results going up??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.