UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> fisticuff series?

3/2/03 3:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Klinch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Mar-03

Does this series just cover upper body striking from the clinch? Is it applicable to western boxing?
3/2/03 4:27 PM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 02-Mar-03
Klinch: It does focus upon "upper body striking". However, it is much more than that. While there is much that is applicable to Western Boxing, most of it would be considered illegal in a Boxing match, in particular the open hand material, and the elbowing. I'm not sure how much of the limb striking and parrying you would get away with either. If you are looking for something to apply to your "striking" game in a (more liberal) venue other than Boxing then this series is a no-brainer and an absolute must. Aus
3/3/03 7:25 PM
ajn

Edited: 03-Mar-03
Ausgepicht is correct. Just to answer the one point, there is info on working from the clinch in the series. But there's a LOT more to it than that. I'd say it is applicable to western boxing, but also that what appear to be the most effective use of the movement patterns result in strikes which would be illegal in boxing. But most of the defensive/absorptive applications of the drills would fit right in, as does the performance spiral material. My instructor has kickboxed professionally and boxed as an amateur and says the series is excellent. He also says he's used some of the concepts presented ("casting" in particular) quite often without having a name to put to them until now.
3/30/03 7:48 AM
MirkoK1

Edited: 30-Mar-03
ttt
3/30/03 6:44 PM
DC8BALL

Edited: 30-Mar-03
Klinch, Answer to the first Question is no, Answer to your Second Q. is yes. This is a series designed for anyone who has to strike! The expression of the series appears to be focusing on striking from the klinch( Sorry dude I couldn't help it)and upper architechture because the tactical examples of the lower architechture were already covered in a different series. Contained within you will find general striking principles and movement patterns that can be used in a variety of ways including those limited to Western Boxing. It is important to see that the movement patterns are what you throw your tactics off of , rather then have the movement pattern dictate the tactic. YOU Choose which tactics to apply from the movement patterns. Happy Head Hunting! Coach Dan Chomycia ROSS IT, CST Instructor & Fight Coach
3/31/03 1:00 PM
TwistedNeck

Edited: 31-Mar-03
Look at Ali's Jab.. IMO he's using the continuous movement style tought in fisticuffs, no begining and no end to the punch..instant, wait until you see the 'trinity' Right away in sparring people started saying 'oh you have long reach' but had no longer reach then they did. I noticed this 3 or 4 times. TW

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.