UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Michigan has some impressive BJJ talent

1/30/11 6:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Samuraidog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some impressive BJJ talent was on display this weekend. I continue to be impressed with the level of talent now in the state. A rarity only a few years ago, the BJJ black belts now in MI are really representing the state well.
1/31/11 8:58 AM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ann Arbor BJJ tournament this past weekend. Their students are showing some excellent skills in blue belt. Purple belts are enter at your own risk brutes plus skill. The browns were all tecknically excellent to watch. The development of BJJ in Michigan is a hugh success story. The blackbelts have paved the way for this. Hats off to all of them. (Harvey,Tyrone, Big Don, Angelo, Brandon, Chris,John,Danny,Ryan,Clint,Abdullah. Sorry if I missed some names.
1/31/11 10:44 AM
StephenL

results?
2/4/11 12:28 PM
judoblackbelt
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sent Sean email asking him to posts the results for 2011.t Dave Garmo(WW) and Jason Fisher (Mash)finshed 1/2 and conceded to eachother in Blue 165 lbs. Justin Nazaroff (WW)went 4-0 to win blue 180. Toughest brkt was Purple 170 2nd place went to Corey Lake (Saulo)lost 6-4 in the finals to a very tough kid from Saulo.
2/5/11 7:39 AM
StephenL

anyone get a submission?

stephen
2/6/11 7:12 AM
judoblackbelt

One of our judo brown belts Tim Eschtruth fought in his 1st BJJ tournament, white belt. He posted his 3 matches -all submissions on you tube. Just type in his name and add BJJ Too advanced for white belt and will fight blue belt next time.
2/7/11 1:24 PM
Caecus

Tim seems to slam people on hard surfaces a lot... You should ask him about the time he did it at New Body.
2/7/11 1:59 PM
StephenL

how many years judo tim have?

i'm gonna call sand bagger on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amalLsOs_G8

55 seconds in. classy.

stephen
2/7/11 8:23 PM
judoblackbelt

I am waiting for Justin Nazaroff (blue -180 lbs)to posthis 4 wims all by points, none by submissions. Good competition footage. The guy who won the purple belt 170lb had 2 submissions but I am not aware if they are posted. I have seen some very good white belts/wrestlers wearing white belts who have wrestled since they were kids at local tournaments. This tournament was not one of them. I would hesitate to call anyone a sand bagger. Sometimes there is a lot of talent difference in white-blue belt divisions at the local tounaments I have attended. Next time I am sure he will fight blue at a local tournament
2/8/11 3:38 PM
StephenL

swain, pedro and kano don't possess BJJ rank. should they enter the white belt division?

don't sell tim short. he could be a greater rank than blue.

stephen
2/8/11 5:55 PM
Train Judo

"impressive BJJ"

Oxymoron
2/9/11 10:16 AM
StephenL

whereas Q is a Moron And Ox.

you see what i did there?

stephen
2/9/11 7:29 PM
judoblackbelt

Sean sent me email and said the results will be posted soon on his Ann Arbor BJJ school website. Hope to find some purple belt matches in that 170 lb brkt. Forgot to mention the Brown belt brkt was won by John Toth, an excellent grappler. All the fighters showed great heart and great skill. All tough fights.
2/22/11 12:40 PM
Mark1

judoblackbelt - One of our judo brown belts Tim Eschtruth fought in his 1st BJJ tournament, white belt. He posted his 3 matches -all submissions on you tube. Just type in his name and add BJJ Too advanced for white belt and will fight blue belt next time.

lol @ a jubo brown entering a bjj tourny as a white belt and then bragging about winning.

Mark
2/22/11 1:58 PM
lazybjj

Agree^^^
2/22/11 7:57 PM
judoblackbelt

I think next time he will enter the blue belt div where the skill level will be much higher. It wasn't a challenge. I don't see the criticism for a first tournament. NOw if fights in white again then it would be warranted. I sometimes see blue belts fighting for years as blue belts winning the same tournaments. There are 4 stripes within each belt for a reason. So you could argue he was a 4 stripped white belt.
2/22/11 9:25 PM
Caecus

Entering a white belt division because it's your first tournament, ok no problemo. Going around saying you "won the Michigan BJJ championships with your Judo" completely different thing. He was in an interesting situation, get worked at blue belt or win white belt, he made his choice.
2/23/11 9:38 AM
judoblackbelt

I will say the blue belt level of talent I have seen is amazing. The training dedication, high level of instruction, athletic skills of the participants, ex HS wrestlers have added a whole new dimension to grappling in Michigan.
2/23/11 12:57 PM
StephenL

would a metro fight club brown be entered into the white belt division?

when no strikes are thrown, it's called a match, not a fight.

stephen
2/28/11 4:49 PM
JASON ANDERSON

i knew a kid who wrestled here in little axe oklahoma he was decent he moved to michigan and was a two time state champ moved back we all thought shit he s a bad ass but know he went back to 500 michigan is just that far behind in wrestling oklahoma iowa california

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.