UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Matt-Q about Boxing/Sparring

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/30/11 7:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
New2MMA
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Matt,

I've been thinking a lot about the training that I have been doing recently. I've been boxing on and off for a few years but about a year ago got pretty serious about it. I'm not planning on fighting but have been training and sparring 3 or 4 days a week to improve skill and I feel that I've improved and am happy with the results. I agree with things that you have said in the past regarding the ramping up your ability to defend yourself by sharpening the attributes that you get from live training.

I trust all of my sparring partners to go at a reasonable pace, which means that I get hit but nothing gets broken and I very rarely, if ever, have headaches the next day. However, once in a while I do catch a good one. I'll be 39 in a month and while that is still young, I have had people make the suggestion to start cutting this type of training off in my early 40's. I know that you have guys who you train who are in their 40's, 50's and above and I would like to hear your take on it. Sorry that the post is so wordy.

Thanks!
2/2/11 2:38 PM
Matt Thornton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sounds to me like you have already given this a lot of thought, are being smart about how you train, and already have a good idea what you want to do. My advise is simple, if you don't enjoy boxing that much anymore, don't do it. If you do stick with it, being careful about brain injury is important, and it seems like you already understand that. As for me, if one of my children said that wanted to fight MMA, I would be hesitant, but I would support them assuming they really wanted that (though I would never want it to substitute, or take over their education). However, I would never support them becoming boxers. The sport is simply too brutal imo.
2/2/11 4:20 PM
New2MMA
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your advice Matt. I absolutely love boxing, and don't want to give it up just yet. I agree with what you said about boxing being brutal though. I want to keep that smart 'balance'. Thanks again.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.