UnderGround Forums >> Bruce Buffer:"It's Impossible to overtake the UFC"

1/31/11 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/11 11:32 AM
EvilMasterReport.com

By James Alden

JA: What do you think about all the other organizations, such as Strikeforce, trying to start up and be successful?

BB: The fighters need avenues to fight. The UFC can only hold roughly over 200 fighters on their roster and there are way more than 200 fighters out there trying to get in the UFC. I don't care if your fighting in Strikeforce or any other organization, every single fighter out there would love to have that UFC belt wrapped around their waist. The UFC is the NFL in MMA. These other organizations provide avenues not only for the fighters to make money, but to get acclimated with the fans and also fight more. Success breeds competition and competition breeds success. I will go on record by saying this, it's absolutely impossible for anybody to overtake the UFC business-wise and it's been proven by the 50 million dollars that have been lost by two organizations in the past six years. Other organizations are realizing the amounts of money it takes to get to the level the UFC has. A lot of people are saying that the UFC doesn't pay their fighters well, but the UFC does pay their fighters very well. Do you want to know where a lot of the money goes? It's to promote the sport and to get the UFC sanctioned in the states that it hasn't already been sanctioned in, as well as other countries.

JA: What's it like to work for Dana White?

BB: He's great. He's so busy that you're lucky to get two minutes with him. The fact of the matter is if they give you a job and you do it well, and your loyal to the organization, the organization is loyal to you. We have a wonderful team and it all stems from the business maverick Dana White, along with Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who are at the top of the pyramid, and it's flowing down to the rest of us. From the cameraman to the people who put together the Octagon, it's a well oiled machine.

Read the rest of this great interview by clicking here

Then check out The EvilMaster Report for more of today's top stories.
1/31/11 11:18 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not saying he's incorrect, but I can't find a more clear example of hubris than his use of the phrase 'absolutely impossible.'
1/31/11 11:21 AM
sregor

Whoever proofreads your articles should be fired.
1/31/11 11:22 AM
BigEyedFish
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Strikeforce card was 10x better than most UFC cards we have seen pawned off on us recently. The UFC has had some good cards lately, but by and large, they sell us crap on the PPVs.
1/31/11 11:24 AM
BigEyedFish
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well Dana would have no argument there.

Roger was a relative MMA noob going against a guy with 30+ fights. The Jacare fight was against Lawler, a tough punching veteran. The Diaz fight was insanely exciting to watch...
1/31/11 11:25 AM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/11 11:27 AM
the strikeforce card was great, 3 great fights, but that doesn't compare to ufc 125, I'm sorry.

1/31/11 11:26 AM
disbeliever
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigEyedFish - That Strikeforce card was 10x better than most UFC cards we have seen pawned off on us recently. The UFC has had some good cards lately, but by and large, they sell us crap on the PPVs.

I can agree with this.
1/31/11 11:29 AM
MMc AA

BREAD
1/31/11 11:33 AM
fiercedragon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow! somehow a bruce buffer interview brings out zuffa hate...
1/31/11 11:34 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sregor - Whoever proofreads your articles should be fired.

I gotta admit that I get a little bothered by how frequently people these days mix up your/you're, there/their/they're, and to/too/two. Maybe I'm just an old, picky grammar cop.
1/31/11 11:34 AM
Sagiv Lapkin
2187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well of course he's right. Just like no other football league can overtake the NFL.
1/31/11 11:36 AM
sregor

PatrickFreitas - 
sregor - Whoever proofreads your articles should be fired.

I gotta admit that I get a little bothered by how frequently people these days mix up your/you're, there/their/they're, and to/too/two. Maybe I'm just an old, picky grammar cop.

It just annoys me because it is so simple NOT to mix up. If you had two brain cells to rub together you know the differences between them. It's pure and simple laziness.
1/31/11 11:40 AM
PatrickFreitas

fiercedragon - wow! somehow a bruce buffer interview brings out zuffa hate...

To be fair, Buffer's quote in the thread title and interview comes off a wee bit arrogant. Natural reaction for some people to be turned off by a comment like that.
1/31/11 11:42 AM
BigEyedFish

or turned off by his awful shrieking, nails on a chalkboard, shouting every word delivery when he works a UFC event.
1/31/11 11:46 AM
bonersaurus
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've found the last few mma cards to be fantastic. UFC 125 and fight for the troops were great. The last strikeforce was excellent, he'll even the Titan fc show was fun. UFC 126 and the HWGP in the next two weeks. Can't we all just get along. Phone Post
1/31/11 12:18 PM
BigEyedFish

KingstonHawke - I don't think that it's impossible to overtake the UFC or the NFL. I just think that the UFC has a HUGE head start which makes it extremely unlikely. I like how Dana White does business so Idon't want to see him go, but I think the nature of the business leaves plenty avenues for success. The best being a partnership with the UFC to create a developmental league, and then when the foundation is secure enough, then you can branch off and go into competition with the UFC. Any promotion who tries just jumping in head first without cooperation frm the UFC risk being put out of business Affliction style. Like how Strikeforce will inevitably go away.

Yep, plus you have the idiots like most American MMA fans, like the people @ strikeforce event that were booing Roger's fight just 56 seconds in because he wasnt going balls out at the guy. These retards dont want another shirt/hat set to have to buy, they just like their UFC. They have almost no appreciation for a good fight strategy. They just want to see slugfests. This ultimately undermines another organizations' ability to promote good fights and good fighters because technical ability doesnt mean alot in the eye of joe public tuf noob retard in the USA.
1/31/11 12:20 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 01/31/11 12:26 PM
i like BB but he says some really stupid shit sometimes.

Impossible to take over the UFC and compare it to the NFL? the ENTIRE UFC as an organization is worth about as much as ONE team in the nfl, and they are billions of dollars more valuable.

This is like comparing a mom and pop grocery store with walmart 

maybe we should wait until the UFC can establish it's legitimacy and not prove to be a fad before we start drinking the koolaid.

it's been 5 fucking years that the sport has even started to grow. ROFL 6 years ago the fertitas told dana to sell.

Now it's impossible to over take them? No that's not stupid AT ALL!! I'm betting every single profitable upstart during the dot com boom said the same thing.

I also bet the owners of OCC (orange country choppers) said the same shit. now they're filing BK.

1/31/11 12:23 PM
PatrickFreitas

bonersaurus - ...Can't we all just get along... Phone Post

Exactly.

UFC absolutely owns the market. And they more than likely can never be challenged for their market dominance.

I guess that's why I get a little bothered when I see the UFC's childish name calling (ie 'Strikefarce') and boastful arrogance ('absolutely impossibe') at the expense of the competition, who are so far behind the UFC both financially and in brand value that they pose virtually no threat. I'm not suggesting the UFC should promote or cross-promote, befriend, or be hugs and kisses with their competitors, but it may be beneficial to the health of the entire sport (and, in turn, the UFC's own treasure chest) if they withheld some of the negative comments. This would help 'grow the pie' aka further the sport. The UFC will continue with their market dominance if they simply focus on continuing to promote and improve their own brand. They don't have to poop on everyone else to maintain their dominance.
1/31/11 12:31 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 01/31/11 12:34 PM
I don't agree with Buffer. The way to overtake the UFC is by not trying to BE the UFC. The big mistake these other rich orgs made was trying to go in HUGE and have UFC-style shows and promote huge and pay fighters huge money to be a part of it. You overtake the UFC the same way PRIDE structured their shows (not their business) and the way Strikeforce is going. You have to make a buzz with the hardcore fans and put on steady shows without going overboard.  The hardcore fans promote a LOT. Eventually the UFC's watered down product (trying to headline TUF fighters every card, cutting anybody who loses, etc) won't stack up to an org trying to put on great fights every time.

Strikeforce knows that it can't put a fight card together without decent names because that will be a death wish, that's why there hasn't been a boring card for a while....

The UFC can put together any kind of card they want and somebody will pay for it. It's pretty much that simple.

1/31/11 12:37 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1791 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIG CHEERS AND NO FEARS AND TOP GEARS AND COLD BEERS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
orcus

That Strikeforce show was incredible, two competitive fights and two squash matches, only one fight involving anyone in the top 10! Who could ask for more???

It's funny that the Strikeforce shills are the ones always complaining that it's the UFC that has trained fans to lower the standards, when it's SF that gives you a whopping four fights, OCCASIONALLY one that's actually competitive, and you guys shit your pants over it.
Tenor still 10ing
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humphrey - i like BB but he says some really stupid shit sometimes.

Impossible to take over the UFC and compare it to the NFL? the ENTIRE UFC as an organization is worth about as much as ONE team in the nfl, and they are billions of dollars more valuable.

This is like comparing a mom and pop grocery store with walmart 

Well, to be fair (and I hate Buffer btw) I think he meant the UFC dominated the MMA market in the same way the NFL dominates the football market.

I think that is accurate and fair.

You can't compare the UFC and NFL heads-up, but they both control over 95% of their market, right? With no competitors on the horizon, right?

It seems obvious at this point the UFC is the biggest PPV company in the U.S. right now, and has been for years.

There really is nothing even close to the UFC's position in MMA.

And the fans apparently want it that way, they don't want other MMA orgs.

Or the IFC, Elite XC, Affliction, etc etc wouldn't be gone.
1/31/11 12:40 PM
clip

Wow all these people crying about how bad the UFC is and I bet there buying ppv for the next card lol Phone Post
1/31/11 12:47 PM
ABE FROMAN

KingstonHawke - @Abe Froman... the ufc's watered down cards? Pride structure was to not go overboard??? The same Strikeforce who gives title fights to fighters coming off of losses? lol #fail
You not read so good.

1/31/11 12:50 PM
PatrickFreitas

KingstonHawke - @PatrickFreitas... in business you destroy what could potentially become a threat, because if you wait for it to actually become a threat you may not be able to destroy them, or you could waste too much money in doing so. With that said, I think it is perfect business strategy for UFC to go after Strikeforce, I think their fault is in not going after them more aggressively. The UFC should put on a show every single time SF does. The UFC's only weakness in my opinion is that Dana seems to be too nice. If he wanted to, he doesn't necessarily have to cut anyone. He could do like he music industry does and just shelf fighters. That way, there'd be no ex UFC fighters fighting for SF. And if not for ex-UFC fighters, their roster isn't that deep aside from HW.

Your theory presumes the UFC is better off if Strikeforce is beaten down. I'd argue that UFC is better off with a healthy Strikeforce at #2. This scenario helps grow the pie.

Case in point with this microcosm example...

When TJay and I were running Superbrawl/Icon back in Hawaii, we clearly were the #1 money maker and brand leader in the state's MMA scene. And in the early part of the last decade, JD Penn and the Penn family decided to compete with us via their Rumble on the Rock shows. We fought hard to maintain our #1 ranking, and we even feared that we'd be surpassed. But the interesting result was that the Penns helped grow the pie, and we saw it first hand in our ticket sales. We were at our most profitable when their show was rocking too. They helped bring so many new fans into the sport, and those fans crossed over and became our fans. And, vice versa, our fans became Rumble fans. The quality of the shows also improved because we were forced into an arms race...better cards, better production, etc, etc. Competition is good for the sport. No competion breeds complacancy.

And after Rumble collapsed after a few years, we saw a decline in our own sales...even though we sat alone on the mountain as the #1 show in the state.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.