UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Davis: Strikeforce is missing out on me

1/31/11 11:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Regarding his next career move, Davis said he was currently in the midst of entertaining various offers.

“Nothing is official yet, but we’ve had a few offers,” Davis said. “I have actually gotten a lot of U.K. and European offers. I was hoping to hear from Strikeforce, but I know they’ve started that whole thing where they’re not taking UFC fighters coming off of losses.”

Asked how he felt about Strikeforce’s unofficial policy of refusing to sign recent UFC cast-offs, Davis was objective in his assessment.

“I completely understand,” Davis said. “It’s all business and I don’t take any of this stuff personally. I still love the UFC; I have a lot of friends who work behind the scenes there. Mike Goldberg and I are very good friends, as well as his wife and I. As far as Strikeforce is concerned, I can understand why they would want to continue that policy from a business standpoint. With me, the one thing that they miss out on—and it’s my major selling point to anyone—is that my fights tend to be exciting.”

read entire interview...

1/31/11 12:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course nobody will rip Coker or Strikeforce for hurting MMA for this policy.
1/31/11 12:09 PM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good policy if it's true.
1/31/11 12:10 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1705 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/11 12:10 PM
 That seems like a really stupid policy, with respect to the position that they're in comparitively to the UFC.

Beggars shouldn't be choosers.

1/31/11 12:13 PM
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

* Waits for Carl Weathers, Monsters Ball, Evil Yoshida, Haulport  etc spin*
1/31/11 12:13 PM
JayF14
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

being as the majority of fighters leaving the UFC are fighters that have lost....they dont have many options
1/31/11 12:15 PM
smth416

Edited: 01/31/11 12:15 PM
 Oh nice beat me to it. ^^^

do these losers ever leave the internet? 
1/31/11 12:16 PM
smoogy
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The writer presents no evidence that this is really a policy at Strikeforce, so it could just be the usual sloppy rhetoric, or perhaps he just took Marcus' comment as gospel. I think the true unofficial policy is for them not to sign over the hill, overpriced, underperforming UFC relics, which is what Marcus Davis is.
1/31/11 12:18 PM
bonersaurus
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunate if that policy is true. With the added divisions the UFC is being pretty liberal with their cuts. Some of them would be great fits in strikeforce. Phone Post
1/31/11 12:20 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
 alright, lets be real here guys. he's lost 4 of his last 5, do y'all really think SF would be interested in that?
1/31/11 12:21 PM
Hate420
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SF will miss out on him getting brutally KO'd a few times that is it.
1/31/11 12:33 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SF should only sign fighters who fit their mission. Wins and losses shouldn't matter. If someone is marketable and helps the brand, then sign him. If he doesn't get signed, then it probably means SF feels they don't need him.
1/31/11 12:33 PM
nyhcloyalty
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smth416 -  Of course nobody will rip Coker or Strikeforce for hurting MMA for this policy.

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander, so it seems.
1/31/11 12:35 PM
Humphrey

it actually sounds like something face lift pavelich would say.
1/31/11 12:35 PM
JohnnyLawrence
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikeforce is trying to avoid being known as the org that scoops up all the UFC wash outs. It only supports Dana's claims that their 2nd tier. 
1/31/11 12:42 PM
Jack Skellington
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he would be great in SF

entertaining fights is the main thing

Scott Smith vs. Marcus Davis
1/31/11 12:44 PM
Bry Bry

well Davis is 1-4 in last 5 fights and he is a boxer that doesnt really box or brawl in his fights...he isnt a submission machine either so i dont think he is a draw by any means..
1/31/11 12:48 PM
dabigchet

guys who lose their way out of the UFC present a problem for strikeforce especially in their weaker divisions. on one hand, they have a name and have had some exposure that strikeforce can benefit from. on the other hand, in such thin divisions you could have a guy who went 1-4 in his last 5 UFC fights contending for your title after only 2 strikeforce wins or so and that looks really bad.

i think they are smart to stay away from guys like davis, jardine, vera, etc and try to build their own names.
1/31/11 12:49 PM
Fake Rassler

IMO Davis should set up his own touring one man show that he could take out to Europe, make the "main event" Marcus Davis vs. European Club Fighter X and have an undercard full of pancrase fights between local DJs.

HAND GRENADE FIGHTS in association with Marcus Davis presents MARCUS DAVIS' EUROPEAN VACATION 1: MARCUS DAVIS IN EUROPE

I smell money
1/31/11 1:12 PM
K-Dub-"T"

Funny how this works.

When Strikeforce used to  pick up UFC fighters, all BLAF said was "they have fighters who couldn't cut it in the UFC..."

Now they want to move away from that.. "they suck! Why wouldn't they want ex UFC fighters?"
1/31/11 1:14 PM
BJJkilla
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

surprised supercalo hasn't taken over this thread, maybe he finally gave up with his davis trolling.
1/31/11 1:17 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

He didn't look all that great at 155 and definitely not that good at 170...SF has a pretty decent LW division (a great LW division considering their talent pool with DREAM) and an OK WW division but let's be honest, Marcus doesn't get past Woodley or Daley, much less Nick Diaz...
1/31/11 2:04 PM
liquidrob
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'lol @ Strikeforce signing UFC wash outs!'

'what? Strikeforce wont sign a UFC guy coming off a loss? what a joke'
1/31/11 2:17 PM
Unseen
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bonersaurus -  Unfortunate if that policy is true. With the added divisions the UFC is being pretty liberal with their cuts. Some of them would be great fits in strikeforce. Phone Post

Well maybe fightrswill think twice before jumping in with the UFC.
1/31/11 2:26 PM
Lite
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I support Davis. He'd be a good addition to SF.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.