UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Tempurpedic vs. Sleep Number Beds

2/1/11 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheDigitalRuler
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what are the pros and cons of each of these for somebody who has chronic neck and low back pain?
2/1/11 10:29 PM
jake11
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I am going to get a tempurpedic.

fuck that other gimmick thing.

My only worry is that the temperpedic supposedly makes you hot.
2/1/11 10:57 PM
reagan123
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a temperpedic and really enjoy it. I had read about heat issues, but never had a problem with it. Can't comment on sleep number. It did take about a week to get adjusted to it. The first few nights were a bit weird at first. Phone Post
2/1/11 11:10 PM
ShermanAter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have both and I like 'em both. We live in 2 different places 6 months a year.

First we bought the tempurpedic and I fell in love with it right away. Very good support and wanted to get another one for our other place.

The old lady found a sleep number bed that was like new but had been used as a guest bed and bought it. I was not pleased at all. Thought I would hate it.
I have to admit that I now like it just as well as the Tempurpedic now.

So TLDR but I like 'em both.

2/2/11 12:04 AM
Keith McKay
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, I'm a rep, so pardon my bias:

a COMFORPEDIC gives you more specialty foam and also is proven to sleep over 2 degrees cooler than a normal foam bed like Tempur

Sleep Number beds are rumored to be terrible. It's like a waterbed (where do you get those these days), if your power goes out, you're screwed. the number changes overnight.

If you are in Chicago or close, I can get you a deal on whatever you decide.
2/2/11 12:12 AM
pfsjkd
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My only worry is that the temperpedic supposedly makes you hot.

A decent mattress pad will help a lot. Bear in mind there are many different brands of memory foam besides Tempur-Pedic which are cheaper and may have a better overall warranty. If you have the Healthy Back Store near you, go take a look.  Big fan of memory foam beds, and especially the pillows. I hate using a regular pillow now. I usually take mine when I travel.
2/2/11 12:17 AM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a tempurpedic knockoff that I like. I wouldn't buy a sleep number simply because I refuse to buy a bed that I have to plug in.
2/2/11 12:24 AM
Keith McKay
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A mattress pad will not help your heat issue. That's why Tempur prefers that a retailer NOT sell them with the set (only manufacturer that will accept a warranty defect with piss and shit on it).

Some knockoffs are shitty, make sure it's not from China where they have no legal standards to abide by. They use sand or clay which won't last.
2/2/11 12:24 AM
Ridgeback
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a real tempurpedic with the newer air cushions.  Sleeping on a tempurpedic ended all my back pain that used to be a normal outcome of sleeping on spring mattresses for me.  Our new one breathes a lot better than the original models.
2/2/11 12:26 AM
VARIOUS

Have a sleep number. It is great. Although I am not some bed nazi and think everyone should have one.
 A Sleep Number is pretty much an air mattress. 

Also they kind of flase advertise because you have to pay extra to get one that actually gives you a number reading. 

2/2/11 12:40 AM
Keith McKay

I'm glad you are a lucky one digging your Sleep Number bed. many are not.

Tempur still sleeps hot, the air channels are a marketing thing. They are great beds, but if heat is an issue, than Comforpedic is the way to go.

Higher density foam
open cell sleeps cooler
open cell recovers faster
latex makes it feel more like a normal bed
edge support vs no edge support.

Tempur is great, Comforpedic is better plus 25 year warranty. The low end stuff is 20.
2/2/11 12:41 AM
pfsjkd
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/11 12:48 AM
A mattress pad will not help your heat issue.

Uh, yes it will. We started off with no mattress pad. When we put one on it was significantly cooler.  That being said, it's still slightly warmer than a regular mattress.  But the mattress definitely helped. 
2/2/11 12:48 AM
emotion #13
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sleep Number beds are horrible and built like shit and way overrated.

Tempurpedic is actually a good bed.
2/2/11 12:48 AM
emotion #13
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sleep Number beds are horrible and built like shit and way overrated.

Tempurpedic is actually a good bed.
2/2/11 1:00 AM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith McKay - Okay, I'm a rep, so pardon my bias:

a COMFORPEDIC gives you more specialty foam and also is proven to sleep over 2 degrees cooler than a normal foam bed like Tempur

Sleep Number beds are rumored to be terrible. It's like a waterbed (where do you get those these days), if your power goes out, you're screwed. the number changes overnight.

I own both the Sleep Number and Comforpedic.

I like them both, but edge goes to the Comforpedic.
1) Sleeps way cooler than memory foam (e.g. Tempur).
2) Supported edges on the better ones let you sit on the edge of the bed to put your shoes on, etc.

That being said, THE SLEEP NUMBER DOES NOT DEFLATE IF YOU UNPLUG IT OR LOSE POWER. Not at all.
2/2/11 1:02 AM
VARIOUS

I notice people get really warlike over the different beds. Guess investing so much into a bed makes them that way. Either way it is fucking retarded way to speak of beds any way you look at it. 

2/2/11 1:26 AM
Master Tang

I started to pass out from being drunk on my hardwood floors in all sorts of awkward positions, and I found whatever I naturally slumped into what not only most comfortable for a restful sleep but I never wake up anymore with back pains or any other physical issue.

I recommend a 12 pack and passing out on the hardwood floor of your choice, there is a slight bonus to having cats or dogs who may wake you up early with any you can identify with easily due to the primitive nature the alcohol has reduced you to.

Hope this helps! I know I'm not alone!
2/2/11 1:32 AM
VARIOUS

No Master Tang you are not. Gichin Funakoshi advised almost the same thing (minus the booze because he was full of self hate). 

2/2/11 3:19 AM
TheAlchemist
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Temp and can't imagine having any other bed. No heat issues for me. Very satisfied customer.
2/2/11 4:27 AM
EbolaMonkey

Go sleep on them both. Alot of places have a good return policy on the tempur beds. Choose the one you like best. My opinion is its alright to drop a lot of money on a bed because you spend so much time there anyway...
2/2/11 4:32 AM
dannyglover

Temp for the win, have more than one and am very satisfied. It is warm sort of but I like to be warm and it relaxes my back. A cover should reduce this and the name brand one is a winner. Why? Because.
2/2/11 4:48 AM
FCTV808
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i didn't like my tempurpedic bed at tower 23 or the standard. sucked. i've tried the sleep number and didn't think it was horrible but i'd never buy one.

but gdi if i have a choice where i'm staying, it's normally at a hilton in their serta or starwood's sweet sleeper. i fuggin love those beds.
2/2/11 5:11 AM
ABE FROMAN

ttt
2/2/11 11:12 AM
TheDigitalRuler
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info so far. I knew the OG would come through.

It sounds like the sleep number bed is not really what I'm looking for. I'm just about sold on the Tempurpedic, but I'm also intrigued by this Comforpedic, which I hadn't even heard of before. Are there any other quality brands I should check out?
2/2/11 12:10 PM
sparkyman
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith McKay - Okay, I'm a rep, so pardon my bias:

What is the difference with the comforpedic "loft" type mattress. They are about 1/3 the price.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.